Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I second February!
But I suspect the big dip may even extend into March depending on sales and marketing.
But February makes sense given the trend that follows the holiday push and new year rollover. After which things seem to settle-in for the season.

And, as much as I want to own and use a K-5.
I am bound by my own finances to wait until Spring anyways
My only consolation is to admit(out loud), that I'm better off waiting

Now, I worry that Nikon will drop a D800 bomb between now and then to ruin the party!
why worry? it adds to the fun. also hope that the x100 and SD1 would exceed people's expectations. that would just be chaos.

11-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #122

Boxing Day is just around the corner: only 1 month 1/2 to wait... I wouldn't buy it now.
My 2 cents.
11-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
why worry? it adds to the fun. also hope that the x100 and SD1 would exceed people's expectations. that would just be chaos.

I suppose so...

But I've been terrified that FF will win me over. And then I'll have to submit to building a kit and living beyond my own means.

I'm already running around clutching a D700 with a couple of pathetic lenses.
It's allowed me to reconcile the idea that the K-5 is every bit as good. But... everytime I mount some of my M42 lenses and look through the viewfinder, I;m reminded of the grim reality(so beautiful).

Now, If I was rich... I'd most likely run multiple systems:

1. A sigma with a 35mm dedicated to landscape.
2. A FF for low natural light work.
3. An APS-C for field work.

But alas... I've been cursed as a common man with a limited budget
And so it goes
11-11-2010, 12:20 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I suppose so...

But I've been terrified that FF will win me over. And then I'll have to submit to building a kit and living beyond my own means.

I'm already running around clutching a D700 with a couple of pathetic lenses.
It's allowed me to reconcile the idea that the K-5 is every bit as good. But... everytime I mount some of my M42 lenses and look through the viewfinder, I;m reminded of the grim reality(so beautiful).

Now, If I was rich... I'd most likely run multiple systems:

1. A sigma with a 35mm dedicated to landscape.
2. A FF for low natural light work.
3. An APS-C for field work.

But alas... I've been cursed as a common man with a limited budget
And so it goes
I completely understand your fears regarding brands building up better FF cameras. I would think that you now know why I push for FF and Pentax would make one. this might be difficult for some to understand, but for those of us who are aware of what it can bring, would simply just be as stubborn as those who are satisfied with APS-C size cameras.

I'm also on a limited budget as well and Pentax definitely gave me the capability to own more lenses that I can ever hope for. although, such luxury has it's own downside.

11-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #125
nah

I saw a price of $1428 in Vancouver! Never see the day that a camera locally was vastly cheaper than anywhere on the internet.
11-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
I saw a price of $1428 in Vancouver! Never see the day that a camera locally was vastly cheaper than anywhere on the internet.
+HST, it wont be cheaper than the ones on the internet anymore. :ugh:
11-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #127
nah

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
+HST, it wont be cheaper than the ones on the internet anymore. :ugh:
Technically it is, as it's only $1600 including HST. If you get it in the States and decide to not declare it coming across the border, then I can see where it's cheaper.

Apples to apples, it's the cheapest.

11-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #128
Veteran Member

I have to go to Vancouver in a couple weeks!
11-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #129
Veteran Member

I will repeat myself , you can go to any FotoSource brand store and start negotiate for a price around $1420-$1450.
They seem to have the best price and everybody who talk about these price bought from a Foto Source Dealer. Some dealer will not budge but with so many store in Canada , some will do . Each store are own by indiviaduals

Phase 2 foto source, Saskatoon: Find a Store
11-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The price is interesting but I'm also concerned by the availability. I'm ready to get the K-5, my K-x is sold and my K-7 has been sent to repair before I can sell it. I have no camera at the moment except a miserable P&S.

As to a possible D800 etc. I will probably move to FF at one point, but it's just too early for me and my finances. I have something like 10 good Pentax lenses and there is no point in going with any other camera than the K-5 to give them justice. With the K-5 performance I can wait easily 1-2 years for Pentax to make a FF. If not, I'll just go elsewhere for this need, but will probably keep a set of pancakes and a Pentax APS-C body.

I'm still looking to find a K-5 in stock in Canada at a good price (<= 1500$). If I don't find anything by today I'll probably order it from Camera Cité in Montréal which apparently is selling them for 1420$.
11-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Some dealer will not budge but with so many store in Canada , some will do . Each store are own by individuals
I did the exercise but many of them are selling at 1520$ (in Montreal). I was bit surprised by the quote you got at Camera Cité. Laplante in Laval (also a Fotosource) would not move away from 1599$ with a "no Pentax here" attitude (although they had a K-x on display). I'd still prefer to order or buy directly from someone who has real stock now that I'm without camera (I can still borrow a K10D though).
11-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #132
nah

I forgot to state the store in my earlier post.

It's a brick and mortar store in downtown Vancouver, Dunne and Rundle. Real nice people that work there.

http://www.dunneandrundle.com/dslrpentax.html
11-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
It's a brick and mortar store in downtown Vancouver, Dunne and Rundle. Real nice people that work there. opening
And part of »Foto Source , that what I said, some of these store are ready to offer you good price
11-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I did the exercise but many of them are selling at 1520$ (in Montreal). I was bit surprised by the quote you got at Camera Cité. Laplante in Laval (also a Fotosource) would not move away from 1599$ with a "no Pentax here" attitude (although they had a K-x on display). I'd still prefer to order or buy directly from someone who has real stock now that I'm without camera (I can still borrow a K10D though).
I found nobody in Montreal who have stock , at least Camera Cité is positive about Pentax and the owner is friendly
11-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Stock at Dunne & Rundle

Thanks to Babbs for posting the Dunne & Rundle price. I learned of that just in time, between asking & hearing back about limited stock levels (I think one each) at The Camera Store in Calgary and Broadway Camera in Vancouver. Stock wasn't in but I held off based on promise it was imminent.

Stock is now in at Dunne & Rundle, and I've put my order in! Finally! By price, that would seem the place to look for others struggling to find K-5's in stock in Canada. Or if you prefer, those two K-5's which were being held for me at TCS and BC should now be up for grabs too. Note that Broadway Camera normally price matches locally to Vancouver BUT wouldn't go below $1499 for the K-5 "because it's a new camera". But at least they knocked $30 off their list price (which was decent to begin with) and also offered to do a deal on a package. Someone wanting to do a lens+camera purchase might want to try them.

K-5! K-5! K-5!