Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I tend to agree with you on that.

Here, in my very small town in Québec, when I show up with my K20D or my K7, I am often asked whether it is a Nikon or Canon!!??
The usual answer after I tell them it is Pentax is :"OH!"

Now it is true that Pentax has a very weak marketing "plan", at least here in Canada.
Pentax is not a known brand ... period!

But maybe they are trying: if you go to the official Pentax Canada (Pentax Canada) website ... it now features the 645D and the K5 on the Home Page!
Oh my... you are giving Pentax Canada (or anywhere) way too much credit. The truth may be that only the Pentax forum member actually know about the Pentax website.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
As for promoting their products, I have yet to find someone selling Pentax in our little country town and its surroundings who actually knows how to HANDLE the camera!
Last time I went for testing the K5 (and the K7 in 2009), I had to demonstrate to the sales person how to fiddle with the settings.

JP
I had the same experience here in the big city of Vancouver! Essentially, I did the job that a Pentax sales rep is supposed to do. Earlier, I posted an attachment with some information about the new Pentax K5. Thus far, I distributed this to four stores... Already, that information (and my brief training session) was apparently enough to sway one customer away from the Nikon, in favor of the K5. Your welcome Pentax Canada!

I have a paying job, so I do not have time to continue doing this.

11-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Oh my... you are giving Pentax Canada (or anywhere) way too much credit. The truth may be that only the Pentax forum member actually know about the Pentax website.

Yeah, maybe I do.
However, I was surprised to see those two cameras right there on their homepage.

I had the same experience here in the big city of Vancouver! Essentially, I did the job that a Pentax sales rep is supposed to do. Earlier, I posted an attachment with some information about the new Pentax K5. Thus far, I distributed this to four stores... Already, that information (and my brief training session) was apparently enough to sway one customer away from the Nikon, in favor of the K5. Your welcome Pentax Canada!

So, this is not an isolated case of the "small town" effect! I am a bit surprised to see that Vancouver (B.C.?) suffers from the same syndrome!
Did the store in question give you some "goodies" for your efforts or, at least, some positive feedback?

JP
11-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #168

Hi Guys,

Since this morning, Lozeau shop in Montreal is offering a 8Gb class10 SDHC memory card with the K5 body, which is priced at CA$1499 and is currently in stock!! Not so bad offer.

Chris
11-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tophersurlenet Quote
Since this morning, Lozeau shop in Montreal is offering a 8Gb class10 SDHC memory card with the K5 body, which is priced at CA$1499 and is currently in stock!! Not so bad offer.
Thanks for the information, I picked up the last one tonight. I couldn't wait any longer... The SDHC card is a Lozeau branded card, I'm wondering which company build them. You get also a microfiber cloth for free.

Tomorrow the Pentax representative will be at Lozeau, and also Saturday. 645D demonstrations available :-)

11-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Thanks for the information, I picked up the last one tonight. I couldn't wait any longer...
Congrats, Manu !

QuoteQuote:
Tomorrow the Pentax representative will be at Lozeau, and also Saturday. 645D demonstrations available :-)
Interesting. I should be in the vicinity of Lozeau tomorrow morning...
11-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Congrats, Manu !

Interesting. I should be in the vicinity of Lozeau tomorrow morning...
He should be only there in the afternoon, look here:

Lozeau - Fins de semaine fournisseurs

Lozeau has already a 645D body but they have no glass for it... They expect the representative to demonstrate the 645D... with a lens
11-19-2010, 06:10 AM   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
He should be only there in the afternoon, look here:
Ha, I will only be in that neighbourhood in the morning. Too bad.

But still, I expect M. Duranceau to come to my local shop before christmas.

11-24-2010, 04:52 AM   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just noticed that the Dunne & Rundle price of $1428.99 is if you're purchasing a lens at the same time, otherwise the price is $1458.99 + $24.95 shipping = $1483.94. That's only $6 cheaper than eBay's 123easyship which offers free shipping. Since there's no more tax advantage to shopping outside the province (Thank YOU HST, may I have another?) it seems like a wash. Has anyone been able to get a price match on the $1428.99 without buying an extra lens?
11-24-2010, 04:57 AM   #174

Got the k5 from Lozeau yesterday, 1952$ (taxes included) for the k5+18-55wr+8gig class 10 card.

sweet camera ... but now, I must get used to eat stale bread and water for the next couple of months
11-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #175
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
Has anyone been able to get a price match on the $1428.99 without buying an extra lens?

I had it price matched at Henry's in Oshawa for $1428.99 (they barely even looked at the Dunne and Rundle printout I had -- just punched it in) and bought it last week. This was before Dunne and Rundle changed the pricing on their website though -- there used to be no mention of with or without lens, just the one price.
11-24-2010, 07:00 AM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote

Dealer support from Pentax is notoriously poor. a Henrys rep told me before the k5 was announced there was a good chance they may move it to the web only and order in as needed for clients. This was at the downtown flagship where they pretty much carry everything. the staff though are brainwashed buy the canikon thing. Unless you ask for Pentax it won't be presented. This is entirely the fault of the Rep/Pentax canada if you ask me. A reps job is to sell the staff on the product. If they aren't excited about it they won't try to sell it. The same held true for the Olympus non evil product BTW. This rep has a Sony FF for the Zeiss glass they have available. The Sony gets presented but I bet the Sony rep is there all the time, and the name has much better market presence for the average consumer (non Photo People)
11-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #177
Veteran Member

Major drop today from Newegg.ca
Kit lens K05 with then 18-55mm , now price is at $1653 CDN+ $5 00 shipping
11-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #178
Veteran Member

Simon's has quoted me:

K5 body only: 1425$+tx
18-135 kit: 1845$+tx

Though they are only receiving their first shipment sometime this week, if not already...

Cheers...
11-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Simon's has quoted me:

K5 body only: 1425$+tx
18-135 kit: 1845$+tx

Though they are only receiving their first shipment sometime this week, if not already...

Cheers...

Wow good price for the Kit, I wonder how they deal with the hst/gst thing (quebec is still PST and GST is it not?)
11-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Wow good price for the Kit, I wonder how they deal with the hst/gst thing (quebec is still PST and GST is it not?)
You will be dinged for the full HST, living in Ontario. Gone are the days of paying only GST on out-of-province purchases.