Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll be in Montreal for a weekend in January likely so maybe i'll just pick it up there (and save 0.5% + Shipping)

11-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
You will be dinged for the full HST, living in Ontario. Gone are the days of paying only GST on out-of-province purchases.
Not True , from Quebec if I buy in another province who do not have any store in Quebec, We do not pay HST but just GST. Quebec is not going on on the HST program
11-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Not True , from Quebec if I buy in another province who do not have any store in Quebec, We do not pay HST but just GST. Quebec is not going on on the HST program
That's the way it is for you, living in Quebec, you still have separate taxes. But for us in Ontario, it's different now. Go to photoprice.ca and calculate taxes and shipping for Ontario and you'll see. Believe me, I wish you were right, but as of July 1, 2010 we get slapped with the HST, all in one 13%. I got a price of $1399.95 from Simon's today, with $9.95 for shipping. The D-BG4 grip is $249.95. If I could find someone in Alberta to order it for me and forward it back to me in Ontario I'd save about $120 in tax. Gone are the days when I'd happily order from The Camera Store, or McBain's and only pay 5%.
11-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #184
Veteran Member

I know for Ontario , I was only talking about us. But you can have family from Quebec ordering in Ontario and save tax if you can find a good price

Or buy from Newegg.ca, they have a great price. I bought my KX from them last spring

11-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you get the full 2 year Canadian warranty from newegg? I thought they only came with the 1 year international warranty.
11-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #186
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just received mine from The Camera Store in Calgary and only paid the GST. On such an expensive toy saving one of the taxes makes a big difference! I saved $118 on Quebec taxes (that saving paid for half of the grip I bought with the camera!)

Pat
11-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #187
Veteran Member

Do you get the full 2 year Canadian warranty from newegg? I thought they only came with the 1 year international warranty.
1 year , but I took their extra coverage still I was saving almost $200 on the KX in the spring

11-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
1 year , but I took their extra coverage still I was saving almost $200 on the KX in the spring
Yes but just be aware that Pentax Canada will ask you a fee of 50$ for any repair on a camera not bought in Canada. In your case, with the extra coverage it's probably not relevant.

Last edited by ManuH; 11-25-2010 at 11:30 AM.
11-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #189
Veteran Member

Exactly and also it cover accidental damage
11-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Yes but just be aware that Pentax Canada will ask you a fee of 50$ for any repair on a camera not bought in Canada. In your case, with the extra coverage it's not probably not relevant.
ManuH, not true... it is only if you don't have the legit international warranty paper - stamped by Pentax US.
11-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just noticed that the Dunne & Rundle price of $1428.99 is if you're purchasing a lens at the same time, otherwise the price is $1458.99 + $24.95 shipping = $1483.94. That's only $6 cheaper than eBay's 123easyship which offers free shipping. Since there's no more tax advantage to shopping outside the province (Thank YOU HST, may I have another?) it seems like a wash. Has anyone been able to get a price match on the $1428.99 without buying an extra lens?
Well, since you ask, I got the D&R $1428.99 price without lens, because I snuck in & got it before they adjusted to reserve that price for "+ lens" purchases. But it seems Simons & others' good prices have pushed D&R out of the "cheapest in Canada" category now anyway, so the question is probably moot.

That's the way it is for you, living in Quebec, you still have separate taxes. But for us in Ontario, it's different now. Go to photoprice.ca and calculate taxes and shipping for Ontario and you'll see. Believe me, I wish you were right, but as of July 1, 2010 we get slapped with the HST, all in one 13%. I got a price of $1399.95 from Simon's today, with $9.95 for shipping. The D-BG4 grip is $249.95. If I could find someone in Alberta to order it for me and forward it back to me in Ontario I'd save about $120 in tax. Gone are the days when I'd happily order from The Camera Store, or McBain's and only pay 5%.
Indeed, my understanding is that HST is operated Federally (I know for Charities getting rebates, provincial rebates are claimed from CRA as a supplement to GST rebates, and I believe remitting taxes works the same way) any seller registered for the GST, even in a non-HST province like Quebec, has to charge HST of the province they're selling to. So an Ontario buyer buying from Quebec has to pay HST since the Quebec business is GST registered & thus HST kicks in, but a sale to Quebec from any other province (HST or not) does not incur Quebec PST. That's why it's called "la belle province".

This said, people are clearly confused about PST and HST rules and what any given store does might not follow this rule (if I've even got it straight). As far as I can make out, GST collection seems to be virtually on the "honours system" as I've seen no evidence of enforcement. I know the charity I work for keeps collecting GST rebates without ever providing any evidence to back up our claims, which get rubber stamped (unlike old Ontario PST rebates, which would be picked through with a fine toothed comb, and routinley adjusted to our disadvantage).

To whit: R&D erroneously charged me HST on my K-5, despite saying on the phone when I ordered that they'd only charge GST. To their credit, they had noticed the error themselves and were already in the process of crediting me back the extra tax before I got around to calling them about the mistake. So I'm not complaining about R&D, just noting how confusing & dicey sales tax gets in Canada.

DW
11-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
ManuH, not true... it is only if you don't have the legit international warranty paper - stamped by Pentax US.
It's on their website:

"All Pentax products include a one-year international warranty from the original date of purchase. Any Pentax product purchased outside of Canada and sent to Pentax Canada Inc. or any of its Authorized Service Centres for International warranty repair will be subject to a $50.00 handling fee."
11-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #193
Veteran Member

hst and gst do not qualify for business exemptions (ie you are a Pro), however when you submit your gt/hst to the gov't you deduct any gst/hst you paid
under the old system you could have a waiver on pst up front if the product was used in the production of your end product only, if you were the final user (i.e. the china i buy for the hotel i work for) you paid the pst. So arguably if you are a photographer you could claim camera/computer/software/printer/darkroom/film/paper as exempt as it went into the end production of your product. if a retailer declined you you could still claim it back in the submission process but it was more difficult than a retailer taking down your info. When i worked for best buy/ future shop as a manager we cracked down on it as we got nailed by the gov't for giving it to to many people and it cost us a bundle
11-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
hst and gst do not qualify for business exemptions (ie you are a Pro), however when you submit your gt/hst to the gov't you deduct any gst/hst you paid
under the old system you could have a waiver on pst up front if the product was used in the production of your end product only, if you were the final user (i.e. the china i buy for the hotel i work for) you paid the pst. So arguably if you are a photographer you could claim camera/computer/software/printer/darkroom/film/paper as exempt as it went into the end production of your product. if a retailer declined you you could still claim it back in the submission process but it was more difficult than a retailer taking down your info. When i worked for best buy/ future shop as a manager we cracked down on it as we got nailed by the gov't for giving it to to many people and it cost us a bundle
hmmm....is this why futureshop/best buy now charge a lot for recycling fees? I still don't get it or it's relevance. I haven't really bought something real expensive at futureshop as it would cost me a lot than the advertised price. like a $1,000 would cost you $1,400 after taxes + recycling fees on god knows where it came from. I buy elsewhere which doesn't have these fees. nowadays, my first option would be to look for a used one on the marketplace or locally for cheap. second option would be to buy in stores that are known to sell cheap and offer the same type of services.

pardon me for asking, but futureshop doing a commission based profit, right?
11-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got a late price for the K5 ... $1595 taxes included!

That works out to approximately $1400 Cdn plus taxes.

Not bad?

JP