Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 01:01 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
=============================

Which, due to being overpriced, is stacked heavily against the K5.

If I were back in college doing a term paper on micro/macro or global market economic product impact, this thread would be a great source of practical information about what a company should not do in positioning it's product in an extremely volatile market.
As a reference for your conversation:

Bestsellers in Digital SLR Cameras

....one model is #1 and increase in sales and the other is currently #58 (or #59 I forget) and falling like a stone in the ranking. Still the K-x if taken in all it's combinations ranks near the time, probably near to, if not in, the top ten bodies sold on Amazon. And those are the customers Hoya should want to take to the next level. I guess the K-r is intended to be that model but it lacks what I would want in a next level body.

It is quite interesting to see how it all works out once both units finally start shipping.

10-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like there are two available (body only) with H & B Digital in Amazon:

Amazon.com: Used and New: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only)

I'm looking to buy one for $1,399.00
10-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #153
Veteran Member

I saw that earlier, but thought it odd that the h & B site itself didnt' list the K-5 at all. So I didnt' know what to make of that.

Last edited by BethC; 10-19-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: edited to chase Like to List..duh for my typo!
10-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
I saw that earlier, but thought it odd that the h & B site itself didnt' like the K-5 at all. So I didnt' know what to make of that.
I saw their link to dpreview.com. I didn't see anything where they said they didn't like it. What's not to like? I don't want a FF camera by the way.

10-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
As a reference for your conversation:

Bestsellers in Digital SLR Cameras

....one model is #1 and increase in sales and the other is currently #58 (or #59 I forget) and falling like a stone in the ranking. Still the K-x if taken in all it's combinations ranks near the time, probably near to, if not in, the top ten bodies sold on Amazon. And those are the customers Hoya should want to take to the next level. I guess the K-r is intended to be that model but it lacks what I would want in a next level body.

It is quite interesting to see how it all works out once both units finally start shipping.
The K7 comes in at #58. The K-x at #20

The K5 at #55, but that rating is worthless since the K5 hasn't sold any units unit through Amazon.

BTW, these ratings change quite often.

Amazon.com Bestsellers: The most popular items in Digital SLR Cameras

IMO, the K-x will be the best price/performance camera on the market in the next 90 days.

It would be great to say the same thing about the K5 . It will be interesting if it comes in in the top 20 in the first month after release.

Last edited by Rite; 10-19-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Included K5 Amazon Rating at #55
10-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #156
Veteran Member

OMG sorry!! Typo!! Supposed to be LIST not Like!!

So I thought it was weird that the K-5 wasnt's Listed on the site, but that through AMazon they had one for sale.

Gotta slow down when I'm typing!!
10-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
Looks like there are two available (body only) with H & B Digital in Amazon:

Amazon.com: Used and New: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only)

I'm looking to buy one for $1,399.00
$1399? As soon as it hits this I will be placing my order, but it doesn't look like that will be before the wedding I am shooting next month. Did H&B have them listed for this and I missed it?

10-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
$1399? As soon as it hits this I will be placing my order, but it doesn't look like that will be before the wedding I am shooting next month. Did H&B have them listed for this and I missed it?
=============================

From a month ago ..

QuoteQuote:
Any problems? Just one. The announced price of $1600 seems stiff (although that number might only survive until the depletion of existing K-7 stock. Just guessing).

Assuming the camera can hold its own with its competition (we haven't seen one yet), we'd hate for a too-high price to be the rogue wind blast that makes this home run shot fall a foot inside the park.

The Online Photographer: New Pentax K-5 Announced
10-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #159
Veteran Member

I thought the price would be down in the USA by X-Mas but the way the dollar is dropping I would say it will be 1699.00 by then if not more. I'm going to order one now and pick up some more gold.
10-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I thought the price would be down in the USA by X-Mas but the way the dollar is dropping I would say it will be 1699.00 by then if not more. I'm going to order one now and pick up some more gold.
===================================

Your forecast is the same one I am seeing. Not a good time to enter the market for any new camera.

Those that can afford it and willing to pay the premium won't be in the majority, IMO.

I'll probably stick with my K10D and K-x until this time next year, unless Pentax adjusts for REALITY and B&H follows suit.
10-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #161

The price of K-5 is totally crazy. $1399 is still crazy. $1200 body only is the acceptable but still high price for me. I think the price will drop very fast, once there are more K-5 on the market. Let's wait half year to see what will happen.
10-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atom0221 Quote
The price of K-5 is totally crazy. $1399 is still crazy. $1200 body only is the acceptable but still high price for me. I think the price will drop very fast, once there are more K-5 on the market. Let's wait half year to see what will happen.
Yep. What we need is a regurgitating bot for web forums and tech news sites, that can search back and repost the same old messages and info and discussions over and over each time a new product comes out on the market. Just auto-update the model numbers.

Think of the effort it would save. We could all get on with life and let the things we can't change just happen like we know they will anyway.

Except, where would all the fun be with no stress or angst?

.R.
10-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atom0221 Quote
While I don't disagree that $1200 might be the threshold of an "acceptable" price for you personally, to say that the current price of the K5 is "crazy" doesn't make a lot of sense. Compared to what? If someone currently shoots with a K7 but want about 3 stops of improvement in the high ISO department (with better AF as well) than the price is hardly crazy and is likely worth it to those people (myself included). For people who primarily shoot low ISO and/or don't feel the cost is worth it for the other improvement such as better AF, then I suppose a K5 wouldn't appeal to them.
10-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #164
Banned

Since I use my K-7 mostly in video mode and was hoping for full manual control in video mode I plan on getting the Canon 60D instead of the K-5. I will still keep all of my Pentax gear and just ordered an AF Confirm Pentax PK lens to Canon EOS camera adapter from ebay since I had to use up my ebay bucks before they expire. I like that my K-7 1536x1024 HD videos on youtube play in 3:2 full screen on my 64GB iPod Touch G4 and will continue to use it for HD video. Amazon has the 60D w/18-135 IS lens for $1,266.94 w/free shipping and no NJ sales tax but I will wait for black friday or later to get it.

Amazon.com: Canon EOS 60D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more
10-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #165
wll
Veteran Member

I'm looking for the $1299-$1399 price range as I plan on buying two of them.

I may get one with the 18-135mm lens when sold as a kit because of the lens savings !

wll