Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
The K7 comes in at #58. The K-x at #20

The K5 at #55, but that rating is worthless since the K5 hasn't sold any units unit through Amazon.

BTW, these ratings change quite often.

Amazon.com Bestsellers: The most popular items in Digital SLR Cameras

IMO, the K-x will be the best price/performance camera on the market in the next 90 days.

It would be great to say the same thing about the K5 . It will be interesting if it comes in in the top 20 in the first month after release.
Sorry, but can you reveal the facts you have as the basis to explain WHY the Amazon is worthless or is that simply your opinion? If it's just gut feeling, cool, I get that all the time but you state it as fact. Fine either way but at least explain yourself. If it is your opinion only, please let us know why you feel it is worthless, perhaps it will help others reach the same conclusion.

Also, you do understand that the list is fluid and changes constantly, yes?

You are also aware their BEST SELLING camera right now is the Nikon D7000 and it is ALSO not shipping so they are using orders placed rather than actual sales. And oh yeah, Amazon did ship a handful of K5's already. As far as I know Amazon was the only US retailer who had any to ship or I missed the threads for the other normal and popular sellers.

I will be interesting to see what happens with the K5 sales. I am going with it is not going to sell well at the current price even if the reviews are good. First those of us who did not upgrade to the K-7 from the K20D are obviously more of the prove it to me sort, and the K-7 did not deliver for many of us in a variety of areas. Next there are those who just bought a K7 within the last year. So I don't see Hoya selling many in the US until this thing is a proven item. And with no reviews of production models to be had, yet, it is going to be difficult to get the word out there from trusted sourced until well after the first of the year. I for one am waiting on one specific feature and if it is not forth coming...I am going back to Canon in the weekend it takes to sell my HoyaTax gear. I don't want to but without this one feature, that all other $1700 bodies possess and have for several generations, the camera is less useful to me than my K20D and hardly worth the $1000 extra compared to what one can buy a new K20D for...think of the glass that buys.

Last edited by brecklundin; 10-23-2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: silly typo...wrote K5 when it should have been K7
10-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atom0221 Quote
The price of K-5 is totally crazy. $1399 is still crazy. $1200 body only is the acceptable but still high price for me. I think the price will drop very fast, once there are more K-5 on the market. Let's wait half year to see what will happen.
=================================

The K5 won't come down until vendors sell off their old K7 stock.

It really is THAT simple.
10-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I for one am waiting on one specific feature and if it is not forth coming...I am going back to Canon in the weekend it takes to sell my HoyaTax gear. I don't want to but without this one feature, that all other $1700 bodies possess and have for several generations, the camera is less useful to me than my K20D and hardly worth the $1000 extra compared to what one can buy a new K20D for...think of the glass that buys.
===============================

What is the one make-or-break feature you're looking for in the K5?

As for the Amazon sales and rankings, yes, the D7000 IS shipping.

Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0 Inch LCD (Body Only): Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0 Inch LCD and 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens: Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more

The K5 is still on PREORDER.

Amazon.com: PENTAX K-5: Electronics

THAT is why I say the Amazon ratings for the K5 are worthless - e.g., NOTHING to rate on yet for the K5.

The K5 won't come down in price until the 'big house' vendors (Amazon, B&H, etc.) sell off their old Pentax K7 stock.

Last edited by Rite; 10-22-2010 at 05:29 AM.
10-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #169
Veteran Member

===============================

What is the one make-or-break feature you're looking for in the K5?

As for the Amazon sales and rankings, yes, the D7000 IS shipping.

Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0 Inch LCD (Body Only): Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0 Inch LCD and 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens: Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more

The K5 is still on PREORDER.

Amazon.com: PENTAX K-5: Electronics

THAT is why I say the Amazon ratings for the K5 are worthless - e.g., NOTHING to rate on yet for the K5.

The K5 won't come down in price until the 'big house' vendors (Amazon, B&H, etc.) sell off their old Pentax K7 stock.
If the D7000 is actually shipping now that changed since my post linking to the best selling list as at the time it was NOT SHIPPING. And while the K5 was also not shipping they had indeed shipped an unknown number of units. A number of members here have them and are using them.

And I think you are confusing customer "product ratings" with the "best selling DSLR list"...because you seem to have substituted one for the other in your post.

I do find your comments about the K5 price being linked to K-7 inventory sales amusing. Talk about vapor locking sales of what is supposed to be a flagship product thanks to a previous generation it is replacing. I mean not even Sony would do something that asinine, and Sony does some really puzzling stuff with their products across the board.

As for what feature is missing for me that is well known here on PF. It is a MUST HAVE feature. Full real tethering. Just read recent threads about it here in this forum and maybe the "news & rumor" section. The decision of HoyaTax to not include it in the K-7 was the primary reason I did not make my planned upgrade to it a few months back. Even at it's lowest it simply did not deliver a basic function I an MANY others need.

I have more than enough invested in better Pentax glass to easily cover the move back to Canon and a 7D...but as I say, I really enjoy my K20D but do want some of the newer features in the K-7/K5 pair but w/o that single feature they might as well be a 30-yr old Polaroid. It will be nice to see the shots people get but then again there is the nearly 27% of us who have indicated in the current "feature poll" that will have to decide just how important having real tethering is...and for me it's absence is a total non-starter.

10-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #170
Pentaxian

Peoples who buy K-7 now are not looking at the same value than the peoples who will buy K-5

K-7 buyers are looking at a great value for the price
K-5 buyers are looking at camera potential

When price of K-5 go down in the $1200-$1300, you will have still a lot of buyer of K-7 because that will still be too expensive.
This is nothing different than any any consumer item : Car, dishwasher, tool, etc
10-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #171
Veteran Member

I have more than enough invested in better Pentax glass to easily cover the move back to Canon and a 7D...but as I say, I really enjoy my K20D but do want some of the newer features in the K-7/K5 pair but w/o that single (TETHERING) feature they might as well be a 30-yr old Polaroid.

It will be nice to see the shots people get but then again there is the nearly 27% of us who have indicated in the current "feature poll" that will have to decide just how important having real tethering is...and for me it's absence is a total non-starter.
======================================

Since the K5 won't tether, it looks like there is going to be a whole lot of Pentax gear coming into the marketplace real soon now.

Canon bundles tether software, Nikon doesn't. Pentax doesn't even go there.

Here is an easy option for the Nikon:

Do-it-yourself wireless tethering for your DSLR -- Engadget
10-22-2010, 06:57 AM   #172
Inactive Account

Since the K5 won't tether, it looks like there is going to be a whole lot of Pentax gear coming into the marketplace real soon now.
Quickly to be snapped up by everyone who is thrilled with the K-5 (or any other Pentax camera they are currently thrilled with).
10-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #173
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You are also aware their BEST SELLING camera right now is the Nikon D7000 and it is ALSO not shipping so they are using orders placed rather than actual sales. And oh yeah, Amazon did ship a handful of K5's already. As far as I know Amazon was the only US retailer who had any to ship or I missed the threads for the other normal and popular sellers.
Preorder status doesn't mean they are out of stock, it might mean they are currently shipping but incoming/shipped camera numbers are not sufficient enough to send all pre-ordered cameras yet. They might be currently shipping both models continuously. This morning I saw 1 available K-5 at amazon from HB, but surprisingly it had a 1749USD tag. Now it's gone.

10-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #174
Veteran Member

hahaha...not the market place here where we are all still shopping like prices are where they were 2-3 yrs ago. I will sell it where I can get better prices. Half of it is already sold anyway, I mean I have a waiting list for the Three Amigo's in silver and the other stuff are easy sells and go for prices I would feel guilty about asking here because some folks out there on other venues are insane in their spending on glass....of course if I decide to switch as we have gotten conflicting details about tethering on the K5 as well as the 645D...

As for tethering and Pentax the K10D/K20D do do a sort of crippled tethering not using live view so composition is near to pointless in many camera positions. As I wrote we have had several long discussions about this topic and I have long been familiar with the in's and out's of it. If I can look through the viewfinder I can get by w/o tethering. A potential work around would be to allow full camera settings control on screen while in Live View sending the output via HDMI.

That DIY wireless rig for USB setup is pretty slick and one of those "d'oh!! I shoulda figured that one out" kinda things. thanks for the link. I have always used wired but going wireless would be awesome and cheap too...btw, the Canon wireless solution is about the same price as the Nikon, or, over priced as can be so I always used wired there as well, I even built a shelf for the laptop where I shoot crap. I actually have all the parts for that DIY and could work on setting it up on my K20D...heck is should work with any camera which tethers via USB...neat. But I have the regulated 5V power pack already to which I use to power my Cradlepoint MBB router when I can't plug it into anything, and already am using Wireless USB for my label printer. I did just realize I need an angled adapter for the camera's USB port though so if I am up for the walk later today, it's only 7:30AM here I might wander over to Radio Shaft to see what they have I can kludge up...so thanks for that link, I never ran into it on Engadget...but that is a prime example of how over priced anything with the word photography attached to it actually is given the cost of this DIY compared to the wireless units from Canikon...

BTW, the thing about tethering and the K5 is there was mixed info coming from Hoya at Photokina add to that the 645D is able to support it, it just doesn't yet...and apparently the guts of the K5 are pretty much the same and should support it as well.
10-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #175
Veteran Member

Umm...there's a whole bunch of people who are thrilled by the K-5, and who are pretty neutral about thethering...