Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #61
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, the $ has fallen from 120 Yen in 2007 to 80 Yen now. Not regulating banks (or not controlling the most mad of economic driving forces) can have a negative impact. The good part is that labour in America became more affordable.

Anyway, to buy $1000 in 2007 value from Japan, you'll have to spend $1500 today.
No debate about any of that, except that 1) my K-7 was bought a year ago, not back in 2007, and 2) my point was more about the amount of the price drop after release.

I just checked, and I actually ordered my K-7 on 9/27/09 (around 2.5 months after release) for $1,147, versus the retail of $1,300. (Minus 2% cashback from NewEgg, and the "normal" price was about $1,200 minus a $50 sale on all DSLRs.) That's about 12% off retail in under three months. If the K-5 had a similar drop, we'd see prices around $1,400 in a couple months. I'm hoping for a bigger drop than that... currency exchange fluctuations be damned, paying a full third more for the K-5 over the D7000 is going to be a tough sell for the non-Pentax-faithful.

If it drops to $1,200 or lower by mid-December, then I will very seriously consider picking one up. If it's still hovering around $1,500 or $1,400, I will probably wait for a while, until the price drops significantly or until I have another need for real high-ISO performance. I can still survive using the K-7 for most stuff and K-x for high ISO when needed in January but the K-5 would be great.

10-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #62
Pentaxian

I believe camera price will go up in the next few months is the US$ is going down like it is today versus the Yen and other money. Could be the K-% is price base on a different exchange rate that other producer were using but they will have to adjust sometime
10-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
paying a full third more for the K-5 over the D7000 is going to be a tough sell for the non-Pentax-faithful.
I am sure the prices will move. With prices for D7000 and K-5 in Japan being almost the same, the gap should narrow.

I only just wanted to illustrate that the D7000 MSRP in the US now is much lower than street prices in Japan. So, we cannot exclude a faint chance that the D7000 price in the US will rise. I agree, it is more likely though that the K-5 price will drop.
10-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm glad that I'm too broke to get caught up in the frenzy LOL! But will the first lucky owners please post up samples here on PentaxForums, and if you are a Flickr member, please join the Pentax K-5 Fan Club and post up first photos for all to be envious of!

Brick walls, the family pet, sleeping children - post it up!
The guitar in the corner, out the window to the street - post it up!
Black cat in a dart room - post it up!

10-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #65
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
In my case (and my situation just changed to the point where I'll be waiting at least until Christmas), it's a matter of let the others test it out, find the bugs, and get the fixes in before buying it. If everything goes right, I'm going to have to suffer with my K7 a little while longer...

I'm sure you won't be suffering all that much Jeff.
There's only one thing I would like confirmation of with the K-5: good long exposure noise control, just like the Sony CCD sensors of old...
Little else would deter me as software fixes will come in due course and it'll be worth the upgrade.
10-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #66

Yep. I'd say it's pretty clear that they don't see the need to drop the price from the $1,599. It'll be there until the holidays.

I have a cool Safari extension installed called InvisibleHand that automatically pulls up the best price for whatever is on the current page of a store site. Works! Pretty cool. And what it shows me is that in the U.S. the only places that have/had the K-5 in stock were selling it for that. When I go to the rest of the sites listed (Tech Depot, etc) it's always listed as cheaper but unavailable ; )
10-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Just went to Flickr and found what may be the first shot from a K-5 in the wild!

That's ISO6400, btw...
10-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Why use Yen ? Pentax makes no camera equiptment in Japan

Why use Yen ? Pentax makes no camera equiptment in Japan in 2010

Hoya spends their Pentax profits in Japan, but nothing Pentax manufactures is from Japan.

Canon and Nikon still manufacture most of their 2010 camera equiptment in Japan with some off shoring to either Thailand or China. Pentax is fully 100% off shored, so Yen versus US Dollar shouldn't matter.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, the $ has fallen from 120 Yen in 2007 to 80 Yen now. Not regulating banks (or not controlling the most mad of economic driving forces) can have a negative impact. The good part is that labour in America became more affordable.

Anyway, to buy $1000 in 2007 value from Japan, you'll have to spend $1500 today.

10-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #69

Then I guess you'll be buyng the Nikon. Enjoy it. I'm sure it's a nice camera.

Yes, I will be going to another brand, Looking at the D7000 or Lumix GH2.
10-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

Hoya spends their Pentax profits in Japan, but nothing Pentax manufactures is from Japan.

Canon and Nikon still manufacture most of their 2010 camera equiptment in Japan with some off shoring to either Thailand or China. Pentax is fully 100% off shored, so Yen versus US Dollar shouldn't matter.
Sure they don't manufacture anything there, but they pay from there. Just like you said, all their money is in Japan. Who do you think is paying the bills?
10-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #71
Pentaxian

I wouldn't be surprised if the optics for their lenses are still manufactured in Japan...

After all, the FA Ltd's are only Assembled in Vietnam, not made there.
10-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

so? The $$ has litteraly crashed against any other currency out there. Why is the Gold price so high? Because the dollar is dropping like a brick in the sea.

And as far as I know, only the fullframe Nikons are made in japan. Rest in thailand
10-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Most component are from Japan

On my K-X , it's simply said Assembled in Phillippines
On the lens it's said Assembled in Vietnam
10-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #74
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'm sure you won't be suffering all that much Jeff.
There's only one thing I would like confirmation of with the K-5: good long exposure noise control, just like the Sony CCD sensors of old...
Little else would deter me as software fixes will come in due course and it'll be worth the upgrade.
I have a very lightly used K10d that will hold me over on the long exposures or at least some thing I can turn off DFS on. I'm trying to work through a purchase of one of my dream lenses at the moment and I cannot afford both the k5 and the lens. I've been happy with the K7 so far, it won't be much suffering I'm sure. Just the longing for a new gadget

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
Yes, I will be going to another brand, Looking at the D7000 or Lumix GH2.
Enjoy your new camera system.

10-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #75

Photos: Albums
Little else would deter me as software fixes will come in due
by software fixes, is that the same as firmware updates? and if so, what is involved with updating firmware?

With my K10, I am unable to trigger my flash off camera but was told if I downloaded firmware I could...but I have no clue how to do that, so never did. Where would I go to do that or read up on how it's done?