Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is here. I guess we'll have to see if it fluctuates over the next few weeks.

10-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, the dollar dropped from 79€cts to 71€cts since the week before Photokina when Nikon announced their $1199 price. $1599 MSRP today is only worth $1437 in value of the week before Photokina. I still stand by my statement but didn't anticipate the 10%+ devaluation of the US currency.

BTW, I wonder how Nikon deals with that situation ...
I guess Nikon sells enough to cover the cost. The preorder list for D7000 is much bigger than the list for k5. To me,1599 is the way too much.I will have to see how the price goes in next couple months.
10-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #33
Veteran Member

1599 seems a little steep considering I bought my K-7 for 760 dollars new and the 7D can be had for less than 1599.
10-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #34
Veteran Member

The 7D was $1699 when it launched. Let's not compare apples and oranges.

10-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Oh my, I'm suddenly feeling an urge to spend money...
You don't always have that urge? Maybe I should seek help...
10-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #36
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The 7D was $1699 when it launched. Let's not compare apples and oranges.

A hundred dollar difference is not comparing apples to oranges. When it comes down to it, the K5 is way overpriced when compared next to the 7D right now. And dont say crap like oh well its been out for a year already. Yea, it has, and it still beats the K5 in price and features. Pentax needs to lower the price, or the only people buying them will be the hardcore folks from this forum who have too much money invested in glass to switch systems easily.
10-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
A hundred dollar difference is not comparing apples to oranges. When it comes down to it, the K5 is way overpriced when compared next to the 7D right now. And dont say crap like oh well its been out for a year already. Yea, it has, and it still beats the K5 in price and features. Pentax needs to lower the price, or the only people buying them will be the hardcore folks from this forum who have too much money invested in glass to switch systems easily.
You already have your 7D and be happy with it. Let other people have the excitement....

10-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
I know you feel your K10d is a little long in the tooth but do you REALLY want one of the First off of the assembly line?
Yeah, I know what you're saying. It's part of the reason I hesitated. I have a couple jobs coming up where some low light capabilities would be great though! BUT.....I guess I'll wait a bit, looks like I'll have to now. Amazon is saying they are not available again.
10-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
Yeah, I know what you're saying. It's part of the reason I hesitated. I have a couple jobs coming up where some low light capabilities would be great though! BUT.....I guess I'll wait a bit, looks like I'll have to now. Amazon is saying they are not available again.
I understand wanting and even in some cases, needing, the new toy. I want one too but I can't get past the idea that most New stuff has problems out of the gate. I like to at least give time for the first firmware fix that we all know is coming. I'm sure within a few days, the other sellers will have them in stock. Checked B&H?

10-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Amazon (US) now says K-5 body-only has not yet been released.

Available only via pre-order.

So ...... if you ordered earlier via pre-order, you must be getting pre-release bodies.

Or something ........

I guess I'll continue to wait for the kit with the 18-135mm
10-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Checked B&H?
I did not. I didn't want to be tempted again.....not yet anyway. I did check Adorama this morning when I first saw this thread and they have said out of stock all morning.
10-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Geesh, I better reconsider. No wait I don't give sh#t what you think, no one else probably does either.
10-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Based on the spec sheets they look pretty damn similar.

7D has a higher mp count in a physically smaller sensor (not necessarily a good or bad thing, depends on performance), CF card support, 30 and 24fps 1080p vs. the K-5's 25fps, a 1x mag viewfinder vs the K-5's .92x, and 1 more fps.

K-5 has better high and low ISO range, lighter weight and smaller size, better ergonomics (subjective), and better legacy lens compatibility. It's also $100 cheaper by MSRP.

Most of these differences are small (aside from the video modes for videographers), and the real comparison will come in the differences you can't see on the spec chart—AF speed and accuracy, how the camera feels in your own hand, subjective IQ (i.e. pixie dust), etc etc.
10-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Geesh, I better reconsider. No wait I don't give sh#t what you think, no one else probably does either.
Easy, tiger. He's entitled to his opinion.
10-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Amazon (US) now says K-5 body-only has not yet been released.

Available only via pre-order.

So ...... if you ordered earlier via pre-order, you must be getting pre-release bodies.

Or something ........

I guess I'll continue to wait for the kit with the 18-135mm
I think I remember the same thing happening with the K-7. They got a limited first shipment that mostly went to preorders and then, when they ran out cameras, the K-7 was made available for preorders again for the next shipment.