Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I understand wanting and even in some cases, needing, the new toy. I want one too but I can't get past the idea that most New stuff has problems out of the gate. I like to at least give time for the first firmware fix that we all know is coming. I'm sure within a few days, the other sellers will have them in stock. Checked B&H?

Usually I agree with you. The only reason I wanted the K-5 next week is I'm shooting a wedding next weekend with no flash in a dimly lit historic barn and I thought the K-5's high ISO might just come in handy in said scenario . Now I'm just hoping they ship it out to me by the 18th like they said.

QuoteQuote:
A hundred dollar difference is not comparing apples to oranges. When it comes down to it, the K5 is way overpriced when compared next to the 7D right now. And dont say crap like oh well its been out for a year already. Yea, it has, and it still beats the K5 in price and features. Pentax needs to lower the price, or the only people buying them will be the hardcore folks from this forum who have too much money invested in glass to switch systems easily.
I agree with you that Pentax would probably be wise to drop the price of the K-5 by $100-200 just based on the competition out there. On the other hand, if Nikon and Canon users are expected to shell out this amount of money for this level of camera, I'm not sure why Pentax users should expect their version for a ton less money.

10-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Usually I agree with you. The only reason I wanted the K-5 next week is I'm shooting a wedding next weekend with no flash in a dimly lit historic barn and I thought the K-5's high ISO might just come in handy in said scenario . Now I'm just hoping they ship it out to me by the 18th like they said.
I'm anxiously waiting to see the reports of real users instead of all the vaporware guess work. Reports generated by people using at least the production firmware, having played with the menus, shot at the High ISOs (though that is usually of little concern to me), etc. I already know what the camera Feels like so that won't be an issue for me. I want to see how it performs before plunking down the cash though.

10-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #48
Veteran Member

I understand wanting and even in some cases, needing, the new toy. I want one too but I can't get past the idea that most New stuff has problems out of the gate. I like to at least give time for the first firmware fix that we all know is coming. I'm sure within a few days, the other sellers will have them in stock. Checked B&H?

In this case, the K-5 is a relatively simple evolutionary upgrade over the K-7. That's not saying it's invulnerable to bugs, but it's far less likely to have them than, say, the K-7 was when it replaced the K20D.

Similarly, I don't remember the K20D having a lot of bugs at launch—it was the K10D's evolutionary upgrade.
10-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #49
Inactive Account

For the price I would buy a Lumix DH2 before the K-5 "body only." You'll end up paying $2k plus after lenses and a flash, no one is going to touch this camera at that price.

10-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #50
Veteran Member

any real reviews out there yet?
10-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #51
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
In this case, the K-5 is a relatively simple evolutionary upgrade over the K-7. That's not saying it's invulnerable to bugs, but it's far less likely to have them than, say, the K-7 was when it replaced the K20D.

Similarly, I don't remember the K20D having a lot of bugs at launch—it was the K10D's evolutionary upgrade.
Yes but if I remember correctly, the K20d did go through a few firmware fixes, one relatively quick after release. They all do. I'm not saying everyone should take my path and wait, just stating a reason why I prefer to. I'll admit though, I may not be able to .

10-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #52
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
For the price I would buy a Lumix DH2 before the K-5 "body only." You'll end up paying $2k plus after lenses and a flash, no one is going to touch this camera at that price.
QuoteQuote:
Sold the K-7, waiting for the K-5 or Nikon D7000
Then I guess you'll be buyng the Nikon. Enjoy it. I'm sure it's a nice camera.

10-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I'm anxiously waiting to see the reports of real users instead of all the vaporware guess work. Reports generated by people using at least the production firmware, having played with the menus, shot at the High ISOs (though that is usually of little concern to me), etc. I already know what the camera Feels like so that won't be an issue for me. I want to see how it performs before plunking down the cash though.

Assuming I get the K-5 in time, I'll try to write up some impressions after the wedding.
10-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #54
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Says kits will officially be in stock on the 17th: Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Black): Camera & Photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
Lenses for the GH2 (at least AF ones) aren't exactly cheap either. :P
10-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Assuming I get the K-5 in time, I'll try to write up some impressions after the wedding.
I would be very interested in reading your review along with seeing any photos you can post of your wedding. Weddings is one of the reasons why I want this camera. I'm anxious to hear how it goes for you with the K-5...Hope it comes in in time!
10-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
BTW, I wonder how Nikon deals with that situation ...
Well, I looked up list prices as quoted by Amazon Japan:

K-5: 142,839 Yen (Pentax' own Japan store quotes 139,000 Yen though).
D7000: 138,000 Yen

(The actual trade price for both is the same 125,000 Yen (800 Yen difference)).

139,000 Yen are $1709 USD
125,000 Yen are $1534 USD

I can imagine that K-5 and D7000 being equal price in Japan but priced so differently in the US is a pure result of the moment of price announcements and a big change of US currency value in between. Consequently, equal time street prices should become the same.

The K-5 MSRP is too high but maybe, Pentax keeps it as it is until the exchange rate stabilizes. Just don't purchase at MSRP
10-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote

I recall reading somewhere that the K-5 body is virtually identical (since most everyone likes it and it's cheaper than designing a new one) but that it's almost completely new internally. Still - so what? You can buy one today and do the firmware updates later or buy later and chances are it'll still ship with the old firmware.

I was really hoping for a $1,400 list adjustment and some quick price drops... IIRC I paid about $1,070 or so for my K-7 within a month or so of release. I don't NEED the K-5 but I have a trip coming up in January that I'd love to get it before, and I may unload some equipment to make it happen - if the price gets down far enough, like $1,200 or so... we'll see.
10-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
IIRC I paid about $1,070 or so for my K-7 within a month or so of release.
Well, the $ has fallen from 120 Yen in 2007 to 80 Yen now. Not regulating banks (or not controlling the most mad of economic driving forces) can have a negative impact. The good part is that labour in America became more affordable.

Anyway, to buy $1000 in 2007 value from Japan, you'll have to spend $1500 today.
10-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #60
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
I recall reading somewhere that the K-5 body is virtually identical (since most everyone likes it and it's cheaper than designing a new one) but that it's almost completely new internally. Still - so what? You can buy one today and do the firmware updates later or buy later and chances are it'll still ship with the old firmware.

I was really hoping for a $1,400 list adjustment and some quick price drops... IIRC I paid about $1,070 or so for my K-7 within a month or so of release. I don't NEED the K-5 but I have a trip coming up in January that I'd love to get it before, and I may unload some equipment to make it happen - if the price gets down far enough, like $1,200 or so... we'll see.
In my case (and my situation just changed to the point where I'll be waiting at least until Christmas), it's a matter of let the others test it out, find the bugs, and get the fixes in before buying it. If everything goes right, I'm going to have to suffer with my K7 a little while longer...