Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
by software fixes, is that the same as firmware updates? and if so, what is involved with updating firmware?

With my K10, I am unable to trigger my flash off camera but was told if I downloaded firmware I could...but I have no clue how to do that, so never did. Where would I go to do that or read up on how it's done?
Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

There's the link... Select your camera from the list and they tell you how to do it from there!

10-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cool! thanks!

I dont have a 16 MB memory card like it recomends, so I can't do it yet. But after reading through the instructions, am I correct in thinking that updating the firmware updates all of the updates that have been made? As opposed to you choosing which update you want?

Last edited by BethC; 10-14-2010 at 02:51 PM.
10-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Cool! thanks!

I dont have a 16 MB memory card like it recomends, so I can't do it yet. But after reading through the instructions, am I correct in thinking that updating the firmware updates all of the updates that have been made? As opposed to you choosing which update you want?
Uh, 16MB is very, very tiny... I think you're thinking 16GB! Most likely, your card will be large enough.

I'm not sure whether you can jump right to the latest firmware update or if you have to go through them... My guess is that you can just do it. I could be wrong though, so don't quote me on that one.
10-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #79
Veteran Member

OMG your right...DUH!!

10-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #80
Veteran Member

OMG your right...DUH!!
Thats fine! We all have those moments, right?
10-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Just got an e-mail that my K-5 has shipped and will be here on Monday. I'll try see what I can add after Frank and Creampuff do their reports over the weekend

BethC have you thought about getting the K-r as well? It would be a good compliment to your K10D and even though the K-5 will likely overall be the better camera, the K-r looks to be very capable in its own right for a lower price than the K-5.
10-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #82
Veteran Member

FWIW, it looks like my pre-ordered K5+18-55 from Amazon shipped out today despite the earlier estimated date of Oct 17. It's coming from PA (to MD), so it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow

It's going to be extra frustrating to see the UPS tag on my door tomorrow when I get home from work as the tracking info clearly states "SIGNATURE REQUIRED". Maybe I should just take tomorrow off from work...

10-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
It's going to be extra frustrating to see the UPS tag on my door tomorrow when I get home from work as the tracking info clearly states "SIGNATURE REQUIRED". Maybe I should just take tomorrow off from work...
Do it!
10-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
BethC have you thought about getting the K-r as well? It would be a good compliment to your K10D and even though the K-5 will likely overall be the better camera, the K-r looks to be very capable in its own right for a lower price than the K-5
I considered it breifly, but really want to get the K-5 instead. Actually the Husband came home from work and asked "So did you order it!?!?" (I called him this a.m. excited to tell him it was instock) when it old him No, he was disapointed. So that makes me feel a little less guilty about getting it. (even though I've saved from my past few portrait photo. sessions for this camera...still feel guilty) I start shooting weddings next year (Have one and half scheduled already) and I really think I should have the k-5 for that. SO...long story short, when the K-5's are available again, I'll be ordering it.

QuoteQuote:
Maybe I should just take tomorrow off from work...
You should definetly stay home from work!!!
10-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Do it!
You should definetly stay home from work!!!
So the good news is that if I don't stay home and I miss the UPS guy, I can pick up the package at the UPS center between 8:15-9pm. The "bad" news is I am hosting a poker game that starts at 8 that night. I suppose I could cancel the game in favor of playing with my new toy, but the prospect making enough to cover the cost of the new toy is probably enough to make me wait to pick it up until the morning
10-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Screw poker! go get your camera!!!!
10-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Screw poker! go get your camera!!!!
I know.... I'm torn.

However in the defense of poker, it was poker winning that paid for my K5 (and pretty much the majority of my lenses).
10-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
However in the defense of poker, it was poker winning that paid for my K5 (and pretty much the majority of my lenses
Dang....I think I'm gonna take up Poker!
10-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #89
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
A hundred dollar difference is not comparing apples to oranges. When it comes down to it, the K5 is way overpriced when compared next to the 7D right now. And dont say crap like oh well its been out for a year already....
People expect Pentax cameras do drop their price significantly after a month and they cannot, under no circumstances, compare to their Canon equivalents in price (no matter what they offer). They expect Pentax to be cheaper, because "it must".
People find it normal that Canon cameras keep their price steady as long as there's demand for them because it's Canon.
It seems only true crap here is yours and similar "understanding" of things.
10-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #90
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Geesh, I better reconsider. No wait I don't give sh#t what you think, no one else probably does either.
Just saying that facts that most ignore...my only point was that a camera that has been out for a year with similar/better specs is only $100 more than the K5. The K5 needs to come down in price to attract new buyers. I waited a year to see the K5, and I just wasn't impressed, especially at that price.

Last edited by Raylon; 10-14-2010 at 04:35 PM.