Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #106

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Yes.

And I fear that many of us don't entirely understand how painful that video is in part, regardless of the humor, for others on the forum. A price for free speech, indeed.

All of these points of view are valid. People are affected differently by things. It's good that we can have other opinions while not insisting there is only one way to be affected.

As an aside, there have been tons of comic youtube videos made from this same movie scene for years, on all kinds of topics. This one is probably the 463rd.

10-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hut234 Quote
As an aside, there have been tons of comic youtube videos made from this same movie scene for years, on all kinds of topics. This one is probably the 463rd.
Hundreds indeed. And this is the meta parody:

Watch Adolf Hitler Is A Meme Video | Break.com
10-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Hundreds indeed. And this is the meta parody:
Indeed is right. Déjà vu extraordinaire.

And perhaps this discussion topic (I won't debase the misnomer 'thread' as applying to this medium) has run it's course; if one can draw from a famous old Usenet observation:

Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies: As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the
probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
-- Mike Godwin 1991-08-18

.R.

"I was asked 'Would you defend Hitler?' I said 'I'd even defend Bush! But only
if he agrees to plead guilty.'" -- Jacques VergŠs [controversial lawyer and
former Free French Forces guerrilla who has defending unpopular figures such
as Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie and Holocaust denier Roger Garaudy.]
10-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
FWIW, it looks like my pre-ordered K5+18-55 from Amazon shipped out today despite the earlier estimated date of Oct 17. It's coming from PA (to MD), so it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow

It's going to be extra frustrating to see the UPS tag on my door tomorrow when I get home from work as the tracking info clearly states "SIGNATURE REQUIRED". Maybe I should just take tomorrow off from work...
Well, the K5 was at my house this morning, albeit only for a few seconds while the UPS driver was filling out an InfoNotice to let me know I had to sign for it (which I already knew). Looks like I'll have to wait a few more hours to check out my new toy. I knew I should have called in sick today

10-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #110
Inactive Account

I've been looking at Amazon's K-5 page occasionally for the last few days, and it only ever says that it has not yet been released. If it had been released but they'd already run out of stock, it should just say "out of stock". Are people pre-ordering and Amazon is shipping the pre-orders?

Note that I'm not buying one anytime soon, just curious what's going on.
10-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote

Color me disappointed compared to the details we were told from Photokina with a price of $1399 MSRP.
===========================

Pricing will steer the K5 immediate market acceptance more than features, IMO.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/114977-pentax-k-5-officially-announced-31.html
10-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Well, the K5 was at my house this morning, albeit only for a few seconds while the UPS driver was filling out an InfoNotice to let me know I had to sign for it (which I already knew). Looks like I'll have to wait a few more hours to check out my new toy. I knew I should have called in sick today
Well thanks to my wife, who waited in line for almost an hour to pick up my K5 at the UPS hub while I was playing poker, the K5 is finally home

I took a quick break from the game to open it up and charge the battery. It going to be hard to go back downstairs and concentrate on the game with the K5 sitting upstairs all alone, but hopefully I can make up for it tomorrow

10-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Well thanks to my wife, who waited in line for almost an hour to pick up my K5 at the UPS hub while I was playing poker, the K5 is finally home
I hope you gave her a BIG hug for that!
Nothing says I love you like a new Pentax
10-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I hope you gave her a BIG hug for that!
Nothing says I love you like a new Pentax
That's true, nothing says I love you like a new Pentax

Her first question when she handed me the box was "so how many test shots are you going to take before you decide you need something else". At least she said it with a smile
10-16-2010, 02:52 AM   #115
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The obligatory question from a partner of a true Pentaxian.

Hope it exceeds your expectations...

Last edited by Ash; 10-16-2010 at 04:42 AM.
10-16-2010, 05:43 AM   #116
K-9
Veteran Member

People have their K-5 already and no unboxing video yet on Youtube??

If there ain't an unboxing vid up, it ain't officially out!
10-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #117
Veteran Member

If the pre ordered K-5 and kits are supposed to ship on the 17th, does that mean they will get another shipment? Or just enough to fulfull the pre orders? I wonder when we can expect the body only to come back in stock. And is it normal that Amazon had some before B & H and Adorama?
10-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
If the pre ordered K-5 and kits are supposed to ship on the 17th, does that mean they will get another shipment? Or just enough to fulfull the pre orders? I wonder when we can expect the body only to come back in stock. And is it normal that Amazon had some before B & H and Adorama?
I was curious about this too. I got mine on the 15th and I am wondering if it was a fluke with Amazon or not. No one is showing any that I have found - still saying not yet available. Hmmm.
10-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #119
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

The value of the dollar, the value of the yen, none of this makes one iota of difference.....what matters is that you can buy a well known, maybe the most well known brand, Nikon with similar features ....the D7000 for $400US less and buy it today. With this in mind, if Pentax picks up one new US customer it will be amazing. Someone needs to explain marketplace competition to Hoya...apparently they don't have a clue. It has been said here that Hoya has no interest in the US market........well, here is the proof, and I doubt they will have much to worry about in growing their market share here.
Regards
10-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The value of the dollar, the value of the yen, none of this makes one iota of difference.....what matters is that you can buy a well known, maybe the most well known brand, Nikon with similar features ....the D7000 for $400US less and buy it today. With this in mind, if Pentax picks up one new US customer it will be amazing.
Regards
================================

Going either up or down the price scale from the K5 Amazon price point:

Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Black)

Price: $1,749.95

Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Black): Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more

Canon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-inch LCD and 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens

Price: $1,899.00

Amazon.com: Canon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-inch LCD and 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo

Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0 Inch LCD and 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens

2 used from $1,899.00

Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0 Inch LCD and 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens: Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more

Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens

Price: $1,079.00

Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more