Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
And it wasn't until long ago that video in dslr was considered a waste of money by many. That video in a dslr would actually put people off.
I still consider it paying for tech I have zero use for. But if I want a more body in which the features I need actually work as they should, I have to pay for that feature. And yeah, I will play with it I am sure but I don't see myself ever using it even for the fun of it.

10-18-2010, 01:48 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I still consider it paying for tech I have zero use for. But if I want a more body in which the features I need actually work as they should, I have to pay for that feature. And yeah, I will play with it I am sure but I don't see myself ever using it even for the fun of it.
That was my thought as well but.....
10-18-2010, 01:50 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
====================================

Yep. Pentax, are you AWARE?
Yep, they must be.... I guess it is "pay back time". They probabaly lost too much money trying to get a foothold in the USA with cheaper pricing, rebates etc at the cost of for example Europe. And they did not even get that foothold.
10-18-2010, 02:43 AM   #139
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
I did not. I didn't want to be tempted again.....not yet anyway. I did check Adorama this morning when I first saw this thread and they have said out of stock all morning.
We had been led to understand that we'd start receiving them the 2nd week of October - but that didn't happen!

If you place this on order it'll be shipped on a first come first served basis. We don't charge your cc until we actually ship the item, so if you find one somewhere else earlier, you can always drop me an email to cancel: HelenO@adorama.com

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

10-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Yep, they must be.... I guess it is "pay back time". They probabaly lost too much money trying to get a foothold in the USA with cheaper pricing, rebates etc at the cost of for example Europe. And they did not even get that foothold.
=======================================

If at first you don't succeed ...
10-18-2010, 05:26 AM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
If you place this on order it'll be shipped on a first come first served basis. We don't charge your cc until we actually ship the item, so if you find one somewhere else earlier, you can always drop me an email to cancel: HelenO@adorama.com

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Thanks Helen, just popped over to Adorama after I read this and it actually says it's in stock, so I ordered from you all. Cant' wait to get it!
10-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Ok, wait a minute. When I ordered it 20 minutes ago, it said in stock. Now it says not yet available?????

10-18-2010, 05:40 AM   #143
Veteran Member

Ok, wait a minute. When I ordered it 20 minutes ago, it said in stock. Now it says not yet available?????
Maybe you got the last one? Not sure how it works over there, but I know with the Amazon stock when the last one was sold it reverted back to "not yet available" instead of "out of stock".
10-18-2010, 05:45 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Maybe you got the last one? Not sure how it works over there, but I know with the Amazon stock when the last one was sold it reverted back to "not yet available" instead of "out of stock".
I hope that's the case! I got So excited and then SO dissapointed. I sent an e mail to see what is up. Hope to hear from them soon.
10-18-2010, 06:03 AM   #145
Adorama Camera Representative

I hope that's the case! I got So excited and then SO dissapointed. I sent an e mail to see what is up. Hope to hear from them soon.
I'm not sure what you were seeing when you ordered, because we haven't had any in at all, yet.

I just checked the website, and underneath the picture it definitely says:

New item not available yet, Delivery scheduled to start October 2010.
10-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #146
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Will soon drop below $1000, only halted by the current $ weakness.
Hopefully, this is true. But I wouldn't be surprised if it stays at the current price for at least the rest of the year, if not longer. Comparisons to the lower price of the Nikon D7000 are misleading, because the D7000 is hardly a perfect substitute for the K-7, for the very simple reason that it won't work with Pentax glass. These semi-pro models appeal most to those who have already invested in their brand's glass. There are very definite costs to switching, in terms of both loss of money on selling off glass to the hassle of the whole process. Now within the Nikon ecosystem, the D7000 is unique mostly in terms of its video features, and not in much else. Nikon produces other cameras with just as good, if not better, specs. The K-5, on the other hand, is very unique within the Pentax realm. Pentax has never made a digital camera quite this good. It's the best K-mount DSLR ever made, and therefore it can be sold at a higher price than the D7000 (which is hardly the best Nikon DSLR ever made).

Of course, this is not to say the K-5 won't come down at least a few hundred dollars. Pentax is currently profiting off of those consumers who want the K-5 so bad that they're willing to pay $1,600. As soon as the market at that price point is saturated, the price will drift downward. But how soon this will be is anyone's guess. If (as is not impossible), Pentax has not manufactured enough product to meet demand lower price points, the price may stay above $1,500 well into next year.
10-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #147
Inactive Account

Another factor would higher than D7000 price would be, with my ultimate! economy english, "effects of volume on sales".

For instance if you sell 10.000 newspaper, each paper costs to company say 30c,
But if you sell 1.000.000 newspaper, each paper costs to company 10c.
Because additional papers costs to company, only ink and the paper.

Or something like that.
10-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #148

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Another factor would higher than D7000 price would be, with my ultimate! economy english, "effects of volume on sales".

For instance if you sell 10.000 newspaper, each paper costs to company say 30c,
But if you sell 1.000.000 newspaper, each paper costs to company 10c.
Because additional papers costs to company, only ink and the paper.

Or something like that.
Economies of scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
10-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
=============================

Which, due to being overpriced, is stacked heavily against the K5.

If I were back in college doing a term paper on micro/macro or global market economic product impact, this thread would be a great source of practical information about what a company should not do in positioning it's product in an extremely volatile market.
10-19-2010, 12:56 AM   #150
Veteran Member

That was my thought as well but.....
it can be fun
No, seriously, I don't have use for it. My decade old Sony DSC-S70 still does video. Granted it was only VGA video as in teeny 640x480 with sound and I have always had the option to use it...and I tried it a few times just because, but I don't find any fun in it for ME. I know others do stuff that just amazes me but I can tell you I will never be interested in using video features of a camera. And to be candid I kinda of resent having to pay for it being there. But then I remember there are features I use all the time which others don't so, hey it all evens out.

But never will you see me even mildly interested in any video feature at any time during the rest of my life.