Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #1

Amazon: K-5 now in stock

Just got an email about my pre-order telling me the estimated delivery date will be October 15th. I pre-ordered just the body only & sprang for 1-day delivery. It's still listed as $1599.

Very psyched!

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-5-Digital-18-55mm-Black/dp/B0043M6F1E

10-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
that's tomorrow! :P (well it is in Australia
10-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Great sign!
10-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Black Body Only
In Stock
$1,599.95
Only 5 left in stock--order soon.

Selling fast or very small supply??

Either way it will be a long while before I buy at that price, it was going to be a Christmas present to myself had it started lower but.... ?? Oh Well.

10-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh my, I'm suddenly feeling an urge to spend money...
10-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep...I got same email, also with 1-day delivery for Oct 15. No doubt I will be waiting for UPS to arrive at 11AM Friday. Gonna be a busy but fun weekend.
10-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Oh my, I'm suddenly feeling an urge to spend money...
Oh yeah, me too.
Ash, did you notice that the same price ($1599 body only) seems to be advertised in Australia in AUD too?
10-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I guess they ordered seven (7)? At 1600-bones the fargin' thing better come with an auto-erotic attachment AND do the dishes, pull weeds and paint the fences and deck.

Color me disappointed compared to the details we were told from Photokina with a price of $1399 MSRP.

10-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Oh yeah, me too.
Ash, did you notice that the same price ($1599 body only) seems to be advertised in Australia in AUD too?
Considering that, from ABC.net.au News website:

"At 11:30am AEDT the dollar [AUD] was trading at around 99.60 US cents."

...and is expected by some analysts that it could hit parity by tomorrow (2010-10-15), then does that really surprise you?

.R.
10-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Considering that, from ABC.net.au News website:

"At 11:30am AEDT the dollar [AUD] was trading at around 99.60 US cents."

...and is expected by some analysts that it could hit parity by tomorrow (2010-10-15), then does that really surprise you?

.R.
No, it doesn't completely surprise me.
However camera and lens prices in Australia are often not directly tied to the exchange rate. For example, K-7s are still advertised at around $1200.
The norm is for Aussie prices to be much higher than the direct exchange rate of US prices, especially for lenses but also on the higher end bodies.

EDIT: Just realised you are an Aussie too. Still, I do seem to find that prices here don't often match the exchange rate.
10-14-2010, 01:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
No, it doesn't completely surprise me.
However camera and lens prices in Australia are often not directly tied to the exchange rate. For example, K-7s are still advertised at around $1200.
The norm is for Aussie prices to be much higher than the direct exchange rate of US prices, especially for lenses but also on the higher end bodies.

EDIT: Just realised you are an Aussie too. Still, I do seem to find that prices here don't often match the exchange rate.
Yeah mate, I'm ocker.
You're right in that, like most imported mfgrd goods, cameras aren't on parallel normally; However, we do seem to have two very unusual unconnected events coinciding here, with the seasonal release of the new round of cameras, when introductory global-region prices are set; and the severe unexpected slide of the greenback clashing - peaking at once, and many suggest the AUD could even hold above the USD well into the new year.
Who knows?

Really, if Bernanke is unable to pull rabbits out hats and talk it back on the up (slowly but surely) in his address tomorrow, then we're going to have to adjust to living in this unknown to most Aussies fiscal-trade overbalance territory for a while.

I suppose translated that means that you and I better do the serious numbers and jump at upgrading deals sooner than we might have planned.
eg. if we were to wait, and the USD hiked toward the roof, then we end up facing big exch rates if we import, also imports (and local prices) would at best hold steady if lucky, but most likely rise. Twarting our avaricious opportunities either way.

In completion, I should refer back to what you rightly claimed about retail prices normally holding stark differences across the pond. I'm sure a good chunk of that seems to be due to stronger aggressive competition in their retail, allowing their citizens to enjoy better ongoing discounted prices after new product releases settle down to normal 'street level'.
Conversely, our Au retailers are bastards and stand firmer even to point of losing some custom to grey and individual importers. Whereas Adorama, KEH, B&H etc jump at serving us colonials with equal bargains 24/7/365 c/w in stock and asap delivery service to boot. Hope I explained that so it makes sense?

Just personally I'm bloody lost, and unsure what to do. (I'd dearly love a new Prosumer body, but only on the cheap... but... when might be right and best?)

And your own plans (read: wishes) are?

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-14-2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Corrected possible enigma.
10-14-2010, 01:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

which is why i get mostly everything from over seas these days.
10-14-2010, 02:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
which is why i get mostly everything from over seas these days.
Understandable I reckon. And quite often in cases we can even exceed that magic 1,000 dollar barrier, happily cough up and pay the piper at the gates, and STILL come out $hitload$ in front.

.R.
10-14-2010, 02:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Yeah mate, I'm ocker.
You're right in that, like most imported mfgrd goods, cameras aren't on parallel normally; However, we do seem to have two very unusual unconnected events coinciding here, with the seasonal release of the new round of cameras, when introductory global-region prices are set; and the severe unexpected slide of the greenback clashing - peaking at once, and many suggest the AUD could even hold above the USD well into the new year.
Who knows?

Really, if Bernanke is unable to pull rabbits out hats and talk it back on the up (slowly but surely) in his address tomorrow, then we're going to have to adjust to living in this unknown to most Aussies fiscal-trade overbalance territory for a while.

I suppose translated that means that you and I better do the serious numbers and jump at upgrading deals sooner than we might have planned.
eg. if we were to wait, and the USD hiked toward the roof, then we end up facing big exch rates if we import, also imports (and local prices) would at best hold steady if lucky, but most likely rise. Twarting our avaricious opportunities either way.

In completion, I should refer back to what you rightly claimed about retail prices normally holding stark differences across the pond. I'm sure a good chunk of that seems to be due to stronger aggressive competition in their retail, allowing their citizens to enjoy better ongoing discounted prices after new product releases settle down to normal 'street level'.
Conversely, our Au retailers are bastards and stand firmer even to point of losing some custom to grey and individual importers. Whereas Adorama, KEH, B&H etc jump at serving us colonials with equal bargains 24/7/365 c/w in stock and asap delivery service to boot. Hope I explained that so it makes sense?

Just personally I'm bloody lost, and unsure what to do. (I'd dearly love a new Prosumer body, but only on the cheap... but... when might be right and best?)

And your own plans (read: wishes) are?

.R.
Well, you have certainly echoed a lot of my thoughts and feelings in that long post!

I think you are quite right - having our Aussie dollar so strong and the increased international buying power is something rather unknown and new for the average Aussie.
I am in a similar position, where I am considering upgrade deals somewhat sooner than I would otherwise - basically driven by the thought of saving large amounts of money and hopefully making the most of the current foreign exchange rates.

When might be right - I have no idea. Personally I am torn between saving money and upgrading very soon, but I would love a new K-5 by the sound of things. On another note, it is so easy to fall into buy buy buy mode with the excitement that follows new announcements such as the K-5 online... This culture kills the wallet eh?

Anyway, I am excited to see when the K-5 really arrives here. If stores in Perth actually stock it I will be off to check it out I reckon...
10-14-2010, 04:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

1599$??
cool.....makes 1160:
same internetprice like k-7 at beginning