Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #136
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Where are you buying one for USd in Ireland? Last I checked, in EU these are going for 1459 Euro.

source: Pentax K-5 SLR-Digitalkamera Gehäuse: Amazon.de: Kamera & Foto

Jason
You can't buy these in Ireland. There is one camera dealer in the whole country that lists Pentax gear but last time I visited do not carry stock and are very determined in trying to sell you gear from other manufacturers.
I use a European price finder called Geizhals.at to determine pricing which is still volatile currently; Pentax K-5 (SLR) Gehäuse (14747) | Geizhals.at EU, that link is showing prices from €1126 through to €1471 all including VAT which ranges from 17.5% to 21% depending on the country. Convert the ex VAT price to US $ and you are in the ballpark. I personally will probably get mine from SRS in the UK, (preorder only, pricing still to be disclosed...) Hope that clears up the confusion

Robbie

10-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Hoya better get their collective heads out of their rear ends or wherever they have them stuck.
I think Hoya is smart to let the USA market pay the same as elsewhere. Why not? The USA market for DSLR's is smaller than that of Europe. There's not much good into selling the cameras at a loss just because Nikon is doing exactly that. I'll reiterate: the Nikon D7000 sells for the same price as the Pentax K-5 in both Europe and Asia. The USA is the only market where the D7000 is significantly cheaper. That's the choice of Nikon; I sincerely don't hope Pentax is going to sell the K-5's at a loss; there's not much point to compete with Nikon, especially in a market where there's virtually no shop presence at all.
10-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ashiflex:

Simple request...PROVE Nikon is selling at a loss...otherwise you are lying.
10-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Ashiflex:

Aww...in the old days accusing someone of lying was grounds for a pistol duel, and if someone got killed, it was a perfectly legal killing.....

I think almost everyone here has at times stated opinions which are debatable and sometimes plain mistaken.....but I won't venture to accuse someone of lying.

10-19-2010, 04:18 AM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I think Hoya is smart to let the USA market pay the same as elsewhere. Why not? The USA market for DSLR's is smaller than that of Europe. There's not much good into selling the cameras at a loss just because Nikon is doing exactly that. I'll reiterate: the Nikon D7000 sells for the same price as the Pentax K-5 in both Europe and Asia. The USA is the only market where the D7000 is significantly cheaper. That's the choice of Nikon; I sincerely don't hope Pentax is going to sell the K-5's at a loss; there's not much point to compete with Nikon, especially in a market where there's virtually no shop presence at all.
I have read a fair amount on the D7000 and it is clear to me that it is a poor man's version of the K5. People in comparing it to the D300 say that the build is not nearly as sturdy, that the auto focus is on par rather with the D90, and that its high iso files tend toward smearing. I wouldn't say that most people would be able to tell the difference between the K5 and D7000, or even between the D7000 and the D300, but there is a reason for that difference and the D7000 is just cheaper to manufacture and crippled in such a way as to protect the D300.

I do doubt that Nikon is selling at a loss, but I think they made a deliberate choice to start at a lower price and cut their margins down to a minimum in order to increase users. At the same time, I doubt that they will significantly drop their price in the future, while Hoya will certainly come down on the K5's price (probably to about 850-900 dollar range).
10-19-2010, 04:36 AM   #141

The K-5 is a really good deal if you compare it to other cameras in that price range like the E-5. What Nikon is doing with the D7000 looks like Pentax's strategy with the K-x. It has similar or better features than cameras a lot more expensive, in order to attract new users, even if it means low profits.
10-19-2010, 04:49 AM   #142
Pentaxian

Ashiflex:

OK, I admit I don't know anything about Nikon's profit margin on the D7000. But the fact is there that the D7000 is considerably cheaper in the USA than anywhere else in the world, including its home market (Japan; checked this on BCNranking). In all other markets they are priced about the same. To me this possibly means that Nikon is using the profits on other markets to make the D7000 a success in the USA. That's perfect of course but I doubt Pentax will get into a price war with the D7000.
10-19-2010, 04:57 AM   #143

Ashiflex:

Geez... so much for spoiling a perfectly good thread...

Moderator: I vote to have this member banned for a month.

10-19-2010, 04:59 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote

Don't forget a public flogging!
Cause, everyone love a good flogging!
10-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #145
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Don't forget a public flogging!
Cause, everyone love a good flogging!
Both punishments seem a bit excessive to me, but the thread has degenerated enough that this is probably a good place for it to end.
Closed Thread