Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is the reason the price is 1599.00 instead of 1399.00.
The dollar has lost 15% of its value against the euro since early June.

Source
BBC News - Fed's Bernanke signals new round of quantitative easing

10-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The D700 is on Amazon for $1199...the K5 for $1599. You don't need to be a Rocket Scientist to figure this one out....the Nikon will trounce the K5. Someone might want to mention to Hoya that there is a worldwide recession in progress, Nikon is much better well known that Pentax, and $400 is a lot of cash difference to the majority of people worldwide.

No way I will buy the K5 at $1599, and if it stays there I will never own one. It isn't the $1599, an easy expense for my budget, but I don't ever enjoy being shafted, and that is exactly what Pentax is trying to do here.....Congratulations Pentax, you figured out how to grab failure from the jaws of success!
Best Regards!
How can you make a fair comparison when the D700 has been on the market since mid-2008 and probably now priced to clear to make way for a replacement and the K-5 has only just been released?
You haven't even tried the K-5 and you can pronounce that the Nikon will trounce the K-5... what a joke!
10-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Besides weight and size, let's not forget about ergonomics! The way the K7 handles is just beautiful. They kept the same design for the K5 and that is one big plus!

Cheers.

JP

+1 I am with you on this. Canon realized that they don't have an advance amateur level camera with small and lighter body (not counting entry level Rebel series), that is why the 60D is not in the same form factor as the 50D. D7000 is also an attempt by Nikon to move the D300 model to smaller form factor. I for one would not trade a 7D or D700 with the k-5 just on the body design alone or even if it is slight better.
10-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
+1 I am with you on this. Canon realized that they don't have an advance amateur level camera with small and lighter body (not counting entry level Rebel series), that is why the 60D is not in the same form factor as the 50D. D7000 is also an attempt by Nikon to move the D300 model to smaller form factor. I for one would not trade a 7D or D700 with the k-5 just on the body design alone or even if it is slight better.
I think the body size is a double edged sword. Sure the K5/7 is really compact with a limited prime on it but it's a little goofy with a 16-50 DA* cutting off the AF assist. I quickly bought a grip frame for my K7 as with the larger zooms it was too small.

10-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
After seeing much negativity referring to comparisons of Pentax "new" bodies vs. those of Nikon/Canon vs. "what's inside" each box ... I am very pleased to see a camera body which can equal, if not better, some Big Beasts of other makers.

I did, a few weeks ago, handle my friend's Nikon D300s and one of his own friend's D700. They felt very big, especially the D700, in my small hands. Once I went back to my gripped-K7, I realised that the K7 ergonomics had nothing to compare it with! ... that goes for me, anyway.
I know, some will argue that they get a better feel with the competition, but really, we have some great Pentax stuff out there now.

I can't wait to see test results and reviews for the K5 ... just a confirmation of what I have been expecting.

JP
10-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
How can you make a fair comparison when the D700 has been on the market since mid-2008 and probably now priced to clear to make way for a replacement and the K-5 has only just been released?
You haven't even tried the K-5 and you can pronounce that the Nikon will trounce the K-5... what a joke!
Look at the price he stated - he's clearly talking about the D7000, not D700.
10-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #67
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Look at the price he stated - he's clearly talking about the D7000, not D700.
Yes, D700 is 2100$ when D7000 is 1200$ at the amazon.

10-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

Why does a Rebel cost 500 bucks and an EOS 1 cost several grand? You can't discount the features and build qualities as crap.
Then you need to factor in the number of units the company expects to sell vs. the cost of development. You may think this is crap as well.

You either buy it at the price the manufacturer sets, or you pass on it.
Crabbing about the price on a forum isn't especially productive.
10-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I think the body size is a double edged sword. Sure the K5/7 is really compact with a limited prime on it but it's a little goofy with a 16-50 DA* cutting off the AF assist. I quickly bought a grip frame for my K7 as with the larger zooms it was too small.
Funny you mentioning this, Lee.

I use this combo rather often ... K7/grip/DA*16-50 and I don't have much trouble with the AF assist lamp.
Maybe I'll test that while it is already dark here at 5:30 pm ... gloomy, rainy, cold and dark day.

JP
10-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #70
Veteran Member

So funny to read that many people here forget to notice the difference between price and costs. Of course the price is higher than the costs, otherwise Pentax would loose money and not be able to invest in better camera's. Better camera for Pentax is also different from better camera for the users, although there of course has to be some overlap. Companies go for maximum profit, which is determined by volume * (price - costs) and a part of the profit needs to be re-invested for the next product to optimize profit.
Companies will try to improve their products on all aspect, but focus will be different per market segment. Entry level has to be "cool" (K-x and K-r in over 100 Color combinations) and (semi)-Professional level has to be "good" (WR, grip, etc), simply to draw attention to steer volume and support price. In parallel companies try to address the costs, which probably indeed explains why FF is not taking off.
Customers mainly complaining about the price is a good sign for Pentax, basicaly the product is very good because many people seem to want it, typically enabling a good margin (delta between price vs costs) at least during the introduction phase. Gosh, the K-3 as well as K-t (or which ever character Pentax picks to follow the r) might be even more better than what Nikon and Canon will come up in APS-c market.

Oh, margins on B&W's are higher than on Skoda, but it took some time to develop the brand name to have customer paying the price premium, but most owners seem to be just happy to pay that premium. I would love to drive one too, but am happy with my Volkswagen. Gosh, I should have mentioned Audi instead of B&W. You know how much Skoda, Seat, Volkswagen and Audi have in common? Why? Lower costs, higher margin, more investment in better cars to fight the competition to gain marketshare in all relevant segments.

In Camera world the same is happening, Sony is doing very well with their sensors, but it takes more to make a good camera...
10-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #71
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Pentax looks at the market and says, we can release a camera that will smoke both of these camera in most respects, for less than they debuted at, and with a price that will still be competitive against them. They do exactly that, setting new standard in aps-c high ISO quality, that is a quantum leap for a single generation change.
I would like to know why people keep saying this...The K-5 hasn't proved it's worthiness at all yet. Comparing my 7D shots to the recent K-5 shots posted, the 7D doesn't look much different at all....How can it set a new standard when it hasn't even been tested yet. All this snowballed after one image was posted and people were claiming the K-5 king of the APS-C world, and I bet it does just about the same as a sensor that has been on the market for a year.

Like I said before, people are going to see Nikon D7000 that is weather sealed and magnesium for $1200. They aren't going to care that it has plastic in the front. Then they are going to see a weather sealed Pentax K-5 for $1600. Then they are going to compare specs. Oh wow same sensor, that must mean they take the same pictures. Oh both weather sealed, even though we all know K-5 is ten times more WR. And D7000 is $400 cheaper, that means I can get nice $400 lens to start out with. Also it's a Nikon! Yay! Oh but Pentax has built in IS, thats cool! Oh but I can just buy a lens with IS in it, so who cares about old lenses!

If we want the K-5 to sell well(and I do, more competition, and I really like it), Hoya needs to attract new customers. They aren't going to pull any new customers in looking for a high end SLR when the D7000 is available. They need a wider fanbase. Also having the K-r priced so high is another disadvantage. If Pentax could release a sub-$500 entry SLR, maybe even the Kx rebadged with some newer features, they could attract some future buyers. But currently their entry SLR is $800. Not going to draw anyone in at that price. Ok rant over. Hopefully somebody understands what I am saying.
10-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #72
Veteran Member

If the buzz on the various Pentax forums is any indicator, the first wave of K-5s will fly off the shelves at the current price. Once the initial enthusiasm cools a bit, the price will fall. Same as it ever was.

Rob
10-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #73

They aren't going to pull any new customers in looking for a high end SLR when the D7000 is available.

Not true. I'm looking to down size from my Canon 1D and the K-5 is the most compelling choice even at its current price

Once I sell my stuff I hope the K-5 will be readily available

Gene
10-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I think he meant the D7000
The D700 is still 2K+ on Amazon as far as I can see.

Even so.... the K-5 outperforms the D700 on a number of fronts also.
10-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #75
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Kini62 Quote
Not true. I'm looking to down size from my Canon 1D and the K-5 is the most compelling choice even at its current price

Once I sell my stuff I hope the K-5 will be readily available

Gene
That is true, but I was more talking about new customers. You know enough to simply make an educated choice. New people will simply flock to the big two, not Pentax.
Closed Thread