Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #106
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I don't recall protective films on any of my Pentax camera bodies!
If you bought it from a traditional camera shop, they normally put the protective film on as a nice extra. I don't think On-Line retailers do that.

10-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #107
Senior Member
SpartanWarrior's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sparta, Greece.
Posts: 104
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I am seeing basically what I already get in ISO performance from the 7D already from the K5 with the exception of the expanded options which are very noisy. I doubt AF tracking will be better on the K5 either. At 1599 it I'd direct competition and people will be deciding between the two. IQ at low ISO is up for grabs as the 7D is a lot sharper than the K7 with more resolution. Eventually I will be comparing both side by side but I don't see the K5 leapfrogging it right now as much as pulling up alongside in performance. Probably the K5 will have a slight edge in ISO and the 7D a edge on AF. 7D still has a massive buffer advantage for rapid shots and more lenses to choose from. I see things different as I have both brands but people are kinda going overboard in some comparisons. I think Pentax just caught up more than anything. Pentax just basically matched up to a year old camera. Eventually the professional reviews will have controlled studio samples so we can compare or users like myself will have both to shoot side by side.
So true, but in all reviews that came out for the 7D gave it the best crop camera to date, are the reviewers stupid? NOT
but before I do make my decision to buy a K-5 I will wait for the reviews, let me know when you have compared them also thanks
10-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #108
Pentaxian
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
Af!? Af? Af!!

Frank & creampuff: How is AF-lock in regular daylight, bright tungsten and very low light? And tracking?

The high-ISO samples look pretty good. AF speed is still paramount to me, though - missed shots due to hunting are still no good, no matter how clean they are.
10-16-2010, 12:02 AM   #109
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,679
QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
I'm surprised Frank didn't call in sick today. I know I would have come down with a nasty case of "new cameraidis" and had to stay home and play with it.

Jim
or maybe a painful bout of "cameroids'?

10-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #110
Veteran Member
LeeRunge's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 310
QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
So true, but in all reviews that came out for the 7D gave it the best crop camera to date, are the reviewers stupid? NOT
but before I do make my decision to buy a K-5 I will wait for the reviews, let me know when you have compared them also thanks
Don't get me wrong I'm excited as are most and I am going to be buying one as well. The 7D is a great camera and I do thing Pentax has a real WR advantage with the DA* and the price of those lenses vs L glass. I also prefer the Pentax controls over Canon and think because Pentax is all or nothing with the K5 it has more depth in the options where the CanoNikons have to balance what they include as to not cannibalize a more expensive models sales.
10-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #111
Veteran Member
LeeRunge's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 310
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Frank & creampuff: How is AF-lock in regular daylight, bright tungsten and very low light? And tracking?

The high-ISO samples look pretty good. AF speed is still paramount to me, though - missed shots due to hunting are still no good, no matter how clean they are.
I'm really curious about tracking. AF-C on the K-7 was a pretty big issue for me personally and it's basically the reason I bought a 7d (and iso). Having the AF-C function be bounds ahead is a huge plus on my list.
10-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #112
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I'm really curious about tracking. AF-C on the K-7 was a pretty big issue for me personally and it's basically the reason I bought a 7d (and iso). Having the AF-C function be bounds ahead is a huge plus on my list.
My understanding is SAFOX IX+ in the K-5 has very fast AF-S, and "some" tracking ability in AF-C, both in VF and Liveview (I don't know what the "some" amounts to), but don't expect too much with 11-focus points.

Actually the latest K-7 firmware V1.10 can demonstrate focus tracking in Liveview, there's a video of it somewhere in Youtube, its just too slow to track anything that moves fast.

It won't be up to Nikon D700 standard, maybe not the 7D either, but a lot better than any previous Pentax camera.
10-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #113
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 53
So what was the final street price for the k5 & 35mm f2.4?
K-r was $499 US right? (singapore)

10-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #114
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Frank & creampuff: How is AF-lock in regular daylight, bright tungsten and very low light? And tracking?

The high-ISO samples look pretty good. AF speed is still paramount to me, though - missed shots due to hunting are still no good, no matter how clean they are.
Sorry I didn't have much sleep last night, and this morning was shooting around w/ quite a few local Pentaxians (including at least 7 or 8 K5 users). Didn't check all the posts here.

AF w/ K5 is pretty trouble free in both daylight and lowlight, never hunted once w/ my DA35/2.4 (sorry this is the only AF lens I used on the new camera so far). AF is faster than K7 that's for sure, but how much faster, the difference is definitely not as great as K7 vs K20D.

AF tracking is pretty fast, but I only kinda played it for a while on the street pointing at some moving subjects, didn't take any photo w/ this. Some other K5 users have done that and claimed the results look very nice.
10-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #115
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by silverknight Quote
So what was the final street price for the k5 & 35mm f2.4?
K-r was $499 US right? (singapore)
No, Kr is more expensive than $499usd. K5 and 35/2.4 haven't really reached shops yet. We early adopters got the camera and lens from our local distributor through preorder.
10-16-2010, 01:35 AM   #116
Forum Member
NightPorter's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 85
It's sound great for K-5's performance.
Waiting for more of your report on K-5
10-16-2010, 03:01 AM   #117
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: italy
Posts: 411
QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
Although I have a 7D and 5D II, and WILL be buying the K-5 don't think that the 7D can't beat the K-5 at anything I am sure there will be a few things better on the 7D and from the high ISO that I seen on the K-5 is pretty much what I get on my 7D (I can post samples if you like) 5D II though is in a different level, now as far as fake and canon is no good well if that was so then I have no clue to why Jerry Ghionis, Yervant and many other Pros are using Canon, bottom line Canon is a great company as is Nikon and Pentax

the 7d is a brick. the 5d2 has the worst ergonomics i have ever seen, at iso 100.-400 showed banding in pushed shadow, and not so great dynamic range. i am sure at low iso the k5 wll have more dr and color depth than 7d, according to dxo mark the kx beat the 7d, and i ecxpect the 14 bit will have an impact on this.personally if i had to strol around a brick like 7d i would buy a nikon d700.
10-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #118
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: italy
Posts: 411
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I am seeing basically what I already get in ISO performance from the 7D already from the K5 with the exception of the expanded options which are very noisy. I doubt AF tracking will be better on the K5 either. At 1599 it I'd direct competition and people will be deciding between the two. IQ at low ISO is up for grabs as the 7D is a lot sharper than the K7 with more resolution. Eventually I will be comparing both side by side but I don't see the K5 leapfrogging it right now as much as pulling up alongside in performance. Probably the K5 will have a slight edge in ISO and the 7D a edge on AF. 7D still has a massive buffer advantage for rapid shots and more lenses to choose from. I see things different as I have both brands but people are kinda going overboard in some comparisons. I think Pentax just caught up more than anything. Pentax just basically matched up to a year old camera. Eventually the professional reviews will have controlled studio samples so we can compare or users like myself will have both to shoot side by side.

iq especially at low iso is a sum of resolution color depth and dynamic range....the kx beats the canon 7d heavily in the color depth and dr....dont u think that the use of 14 bit will make the k5 at low iso better than kx and so far better than 7d?
im sure when the review will come out will see the advantage, i expect more than a stop at lower iso in dynamic range.
10-16-2010, 03:26 AM   #119
Senior Member
SpartanWarrior's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sparta, Greece.
Posts: 104
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Don't get me wrong I'm excited as are most and I am going to be buying one as well. The 7D is a great camera and I do thing Pentax has a real WR advantage with the DA* and the price of those lenses vs L glass. I also prefer the Pentax controls over Canon and think because Pentax is all or nothing with the K5 it has more depth in the options where the CanoNikons have to balance what they include as to not cannibalize a more expensive models sales.
I will buy a K-5 as well, but the thing that gets me with Canon is those big brick lenses, I mean look at the EF 70-200 IS L II are you kidding me, I was going to buy one but am holding off as of now, I have heard a lot of pentax shooters say how the DA* 16-50 2.8 is big but compared to even the EF-S 17-55 2.8 it is small.
10-16-2010, 03:35 AM   #120
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Frank & creampuff: How is AF-lock in regular daylight, bright tungsten and very low light? And tracking?

The high-ISO samples look pretty good. AF speed is still paramount to me, though - missed shots due to hunting are still no good, no matter how clean they are.
AF lock is very positive. Haven't had focusing issues so far in ambient or incandescent lighting. Even in the very dim bar that I was with Frank yesterday, the AF assist light didn't even come on.
Basically the hunting has all but stopped... LV focusing is also impressive too.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top