Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 03:41 AM   #121

excuse me Creampuff, did Pentaxians in Singapore have a meetup today and used the new K5 and Kr? Im interested with the AF performance of the Kr, please do enlighten me =) Thank you!

10-16-2010, 04:01 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
I will buy a K-5 as well, but the thing that gets me with Canon is those big brick lenses, I mean look at the EF 70-200 IS L II are you kidding me, I was going to buy one but am holding off as of now, I have heard a lot of pentax shooters say how the DA* 16-50 2.8 is big but compared to even the EF-S 17-55 2.8 it is small.
I have the 16-50 DA* and 17-55, I would say the 16-50 feels bigger because the K7 is smaller than the 7d but it's probably a smaller lens. I think it's more solid in construction but the 17-55 is sharper coupled to the 7d. With telephoto's tbh they are all bricks to carry around. I don't regard the 7d as a brick being that I have the Grip frame on my K7 and the K7 weighs more with that than the 7d, add the grip frame to 7d and yes you have a brick. I think SLR's are all bricks in the end. If you want small get a P/S as SLR's don't exactly fit in a pocket.

Any information on movie mode, is it basically K7 at 1080P?
10-16-2010, 04:20 AM   #123

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I have the 16-50 DA* and 17-55, I would say the 16-50 feels bigger because the K7 is smaller than the 7d but it's probably a smaller lens. I think it's more solid in construction but the 17-55 is sharper coupled to the 7d. With telephoto's tbh they are all bricks to carry around. I don't regard the 7d as a brick being that I have the Grip frame on my K7 and the K7 weighs more with that than the 7d, add the grip frame to 7d and yes you have a brick. I think SLR's are all bricks in the end. If you want small get a P/S as SLR's don't exactly fit in a pocket.

Any information on movie mode, is it basically K7 at 1080P?
What I meant as brick is the 70-200 IS L lens, I don't have a problem holding my 7D and 5D II together they are not heavy, but I kind of wish the lenses were a little smaller Thanks
10-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yanzhi0714 Quote
excuse me Creampuff, did Pentaxians in Singapore have a meetup today and used the new K5 and Kr? Im interested with the AF performance of the Kr, please do enlighten me =) Thank you!
Yes, we had a big gathering today. Quite a few K5 and Kr users. AF w/ Kr is very snappy.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Great idea, Dad!
Ya, but the rent is going up! LOL.
10-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Yes, we had a big gathering today. Quite a few K5 and Kr users. AF w/ Kr is very snappy.
Wow that's very cool!
10-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was a thread a while back - "What do you call it when 2 or more Pentaxians get together?" Most of the answered ranged from "never happens" to "a miracle". I guess we know what the real answer is - Singapore!

Great to see the enthusiasm!

10-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Thanks LeeRunge and others for providing some perspective here. Trying to argue that Canon and Nikon don't make great cameras is a little foolish IMO. But that doesn't take away the achievement of the K-5. Sounds like a great camera.

Will it cause a seismic shift in the market away from Canon and Nikon? Probably not. But it may shift a few minds that value primes, in-body SR, smaller size, and cost advantages. That's why I left Nikon.

And it gives Pentaxians a solid reason to stay with the brand.
10-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, we had a big gathering today. Quite a few K5 and Kr users.
Yet another reason to visit Singapore!

The low light shots with the 35mm look excellent. Thanks for sharing and building the excitement!
10-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #130
Veteran Member

I've never seen so many Pentaxians together before!
10-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #131
Veteran Member

That's not counting a few more who came late and missed the group shot...
10-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #132
Col
Veteran Member

Someone better tell the guy in the front he's left his camera in the McDonalds.
10-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #133
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My question is, how many had K5 and K-r in colors other than black? I see 1 pink and 1 red, but it looks like the rest are black.

Edit: I'm also jealous! You have both the K5 & DA 35mm lens.
10-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Thanks LeeRunge and others for providing some perspective here. Trying to argue that Canon and Nikon don't make great cameras is a little foolish IMO. But that doesn't take away the achievement of the K-5. Sounds like a great camera.

Will it cause a seismic shift in the market away from Canon and Nikon? Probably not. But it may shift a few minds that value primes, in-body SR, smaller size, and cost advantages. That's why I left Nikon.

And it gives Pentaxians a solid reason to stay with the brand.
Pentax IS delivering some very nice solid camera in the KX/KR and K5. I'm hoping AF-C is as improved as the ISO in regards to the K7.

I am trying not to rain on the parade but rather keep perspective having both systems and fair to the reality of the equipments performance.
10-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Frank or Creampuff, just a quick question., which version of firmware is being used with the K5 at this time?