Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #136
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
No, Kr is more expensive than $499usd. K5 and 35/2.4 haven't really reached shops yet. We early adopters got the camera and lens from our local distributor through preorder.

Does that mean the price you paid is well above street price or that you just "borrowed" it from the distributer without a price?

To me the most unrevealed feature is the price

k5 > $1600 US = no
<$1400 = YES

kr > $800 = no
< $600 = yes

35mm > $300 =no
< $200 = yes

Im going to also assume that prices in asia / EU / USA are going to be different because of the varying exchange rates / taxes so I would like to have an idea if im going to buy local or import.

10-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #137
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Ya, but the rent is going up! LOL.
Can't be as much as Chicago, and I won't have to deal with cold weather. Deal!

I have to say that the 7d is an impressive piece of work. I didn't play with it long, but I got to do a few shots at a Best Buy today (I would never buy a camera there as they're waaaay overpriced). It is very nice. I think the navigation would take getting used to. However, the AF was amazing. And the dual processors really make burst a breeze. I'm interested to see what the K5 can do continually in real world settings, and what the price plateaus at compared to the 7d.

No matter what, the K5 seems to be a step in the right direction. Can't wait to see more photos.
10-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Here is the very first photo I took w/ the new camera and new DA35 lens, wide open at ISO800, a bit too excited, so better don't use this photos to make judgment on the new camera or lens:

100% crop:
seems like the FA35's rendering, only slower by half-stop.
10-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Will it cause a seismic shift in the market away from Canon and Nikon? Probably not. But it may shift a few minds that value primes, in-body SR, smaller size, and cost advantages. That's why I left Nikon.
A seismic shift? No. But the K-5 may turn some heads in the Nikon and Canon worlds, and I am referring especially to FF users. Of course there are also excellent APS-C cameras available from those manufacturers, but the K-5 has some unique features and may actually deliver superior IQ. (The jury is still out on that point.) And let us not forget the sort of person who always feels that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Some of those folks will be taking a hard look at the K-5 as well. If the K-5's autofocus is now at least competitive with Nikon's and Canon's, that may be the factor that closes the deal for Pentax. We may see something like the phenomenon of PC users finally realizing that Apple offers a superior product and that switching will not cause their hair to catch fire.

Rob

10-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #140
Inactive Account

If Pentax releases a better DA* zoom (no motor issues), I think it would be a big swing with this body. A good f2.8 WR that's reliable for ~$500 less than an equivalent L? That's the possibilities that sold me on Pentax.