Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Hey, congratulations! Seems to me the K-5 would be a perfect graduation present ;~)
I agree

10-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I just did an impromptu, real life test of the K-5 AF. I was busy shooting some scenes around campus, when a random guy doing tricks on his bike asked me to shoot him.

Well, this was half an hour after sunset in a rapidly darkening square, so I had my doubts about how well this was going to work. It was dark enough that even at ISO 6400 and aperture wide open (f/4, this was with the 55-300), shutter priority wouldn't let me go faster than 1/40.

Well, as expected, most of the pictures were a loss due to motion blur. 1/40 is just way too slow for a target moving at 7-8 mph right past me. But surprisingly even in the darkness, AF kept focus dead on all the way, even with me zooming while shooting. From the couple of sharp photos, and a bit of examining the blurred ones, I can tell that most of them are more or less right on in focus.

I'm a noob when it comes to motion tracking and action shooting, but this was definitely a pleasant surprise. I've lost more than a couple photos on my K-x due to it deciding to hunt at the worst times.
Would you be so kind as to post your results on this thread as well?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118553-k5-auto-focus-tests.html

Thanks!

JP
10-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #108
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Would you be so kind as to post your results on this thread as well?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118553-k5-auto-focus-tests.html

Thanks!

JP
I can if you want, though the pictures are not exactly pretty.
10-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Had a few minutes to kill at the mall and swung through a local London Drugs to see if they had the K5; looking back, I shouldn't have done that.

While I understand the body shape hasn't changed much from the K7, I'm still on a K20D so it felt very different and very comfortable in the hand.

As I didn't have much time to really "test", I just did some random shooting at the counter and as people have mentioned, AF was quite snappy. What really caught my attention though was just how QUIET the shutter is, especially in burst mode. The guy at the counter hadn't had a chance to play and when he heard the shutter, he did a double-take as well.

Have to start counting my pennies for this one...

10-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I wonder how all that focus speed affects the life of the SDM.
My shooting buddy doesn't take as many pictures as me because he's worried about the lifespan of the shutter.
10-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #111

I just tried out my K5 during a Bantam hockey game - so...fast skaters, funky lighting, and these were shot thru not so clean glass (only way to get the skating head on) No PP, no in camera noise reduction. Shot with DA*50-135 1600ISO spot focus and AF-C . I could NEVER have gotten this many in focus shots with my K20D. I am LOVING it! Heres the first 5 shots of a kid coming at me. I don't know how to add more than the "5 allowed" so will post the next ones in another reply.
Attached Images

10-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #112

Here's the next ones....
Attached Images

11-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
How about with a screw-driver AF lens? High performance cameras need both a good AF system and a strong motor to drive the lens...
Has anyone answered this question yet? This is something I really want to know... Because if it were fast enough, I could shoot sports with the Tammy 70-200mm!

11-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #114
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Has anyone answered this question yet? This is something I really want to know... Because if it were fast enough, I could shoot sports with the Tammy 70-200mm!
Yes, the K-5 is very fast with screwdriven lenses. My DA 35 ltd goes from macro to focus lock at infinity (nearly a 180 degree turn) in just over 1 second.

I believe most reports indicate that SDM is motor limited, so there is not an appreciable difference in turning speed, though there is much improved accuracy and locks focus much faster.
11-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #115

Rats. Rats, rats, rats. Now I may not be able to wait for the rebates to begin in earnest.

Thanks for all the reports. A super responsive camera is what I've been dreaming about, and I would have been very unhappy to jump ship, but I would have. Now I can look forward to this with confidence! : )
11-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #116
rjm
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
You mention having stepped up from the K20D; I was expecting some good AF improvement, as you relate, but I also wonder how it would compare to a K7 AF ... ?
Exactly. The improved AF of the K-7 over the K20D was widely praised at the time, so the OP might be simply rediscovering this truth and the AF of the K-7 and K-5 are in fact fairly similar.

dpreview: "Other, more minor improvements include an upgraded SAFOX AF system (wider coverage of the AF points and improved speed)"
11-02-2010, 05:09 AM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Correct. I have never touched a K-7 so a 2 generation jump is more impressive.
11-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
No question the K5 shutter is quieter than the K7.

------------------ I had my wife close her eyes and listen to both and she confirmed the same thing.
You have a very cooperative spouse! Thanks to that cooperation you also posted great high ISO pics for us to benefit!
11-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
You have a very cooperative spouse! Thanks to that cooperation you also posted great high ISO pics for us to benefit!
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say she was "cooperative". She answered the questions about the shutter because I think she realized it was just easier to answer the question then question why I was asking her in the first place

As for the high-ISO pictures, let's just say there wasn't much cooperation on those shots...

But in all seriousness I shouldn't complain (at all) as she's been quite tolerant of my extreme LBA over the past 12 months