Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 Autofocus is not "improved", its beyond that.

Yep, its in my grubby paws. I will just state the most impressive thing so far that I didn't expect.

THE AF IS NOW FREAKY FAST!

At least on my (SDM) da*300 , which takes its sweet time on the K20D but on the K5 its BAM! Focused. I did not expect such a huge improvement. Its REALLY fast.

10-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Cool!

How about with a screw-driver AF lens? High performance cameras need both a good AF system and a strong motor to drive the lens...
10-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You will have an uphill task to try to convince the horde of longtime Pentax skeptics out there. As for me, I'm already a believer...
10-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #4

It would be great if you could post a short video comparing focusing speed of your da*300 on both cameras. It's been said by some guys who've had a chance to try a k-5, that they didn't notice faster focusing speed with sdm lenses compared to older bodies, so it would be nice if you could prove they were wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

10-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Cool!

How about with a screw-driver AF lens? High performance cameras need both a good AF system and a strong motor to drive the lens...
Ok, I just tried the da55-300 (SD) and it racks at a higher pitch and stops on the button. The K20D AF generally needs the lens to bounce a few times in and out before it stops and indicates focus. K5 screams right to the spot and stops. Caveat - I have not compared the pics to make sure its actually stopping on the right spot but YES, its noticably faster with screw-drive also.
10-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Excellent. Looking forward to trying my DA*60-250 out tonight on the K5
10-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
You will have an uphill task to try to convince the horde of longtime Pentax skeptics out there. As for me, I'm already a believer...
The healthiest thing about my interest in the gear and my personality is I don't give a rats butt what the skeptics want to believe as long as I like it. I won't lose any sleep or spend any time arguing the point. For all I know, I got the only copy that works properly

10-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
The healthiest thing about my interest in the gear and my personality is I don't give a rats butt what the skeptics want to believe as long as I like it. I won't lose any sleep or spend any time arguing the point. For all I know, I got the only copy that works properly
I like your positive attitude, I am the same way
10-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I like your attitude too. To hell witl the armchair experts, spending their time crunching numbers. It's all about the pictures and the feelings of the photographer. I don't take pictures for scientific purposes. Great if you do, but I don't

BTW: almost all of my lenses are screwdriven (the DA* 55 is the only one that isn't) so maybe I'm in for a surprise when my K-5 is delivered
10-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

*clearing throat.*

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLL!

(I say this noting that I don't think screw-drive is the weak link. At all. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-15-2010 at 11:26 AM.
10-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Did you test it out in the sunlight? or? I would be interested to know how it performs in darker environments

In my rooms where I usually need f1.4 or bigger according to my meter, and putting a 16-50 2.8, it hunts a good 2-3 seconds.
10-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

........... Caveat - I have not compared the pics to make sure its actually stopping on the right spot but YES, its noticably faster with screw-drive also.
That's like the old joke "I can type 300 words per minute; 75 if you want them spelled right".
10-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
raz

Would be very good if we can get a confirmation that 16-50 and 50-135 are a lot faster on K5. Anybody ?
10-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, its in my grubby paws. I will just state the most impressive thing so far that I didn't expect.

THE AF IS NOW FREAKY FAST!

At least on my (SDM) da*300 , which takes its sweet time on the K20D but on the K5 its BAM! Focused. I did not expect such a huge improvement. Its REALLY fast.
Yeahhhh!!!!!

That IS one big piece of great news to me!!

I've been posting this all over the forum: AF MUST BE vastly improved for me to consider getting the K5 and I guess you have tested it yourself!

Now, did you have the chance to test all AF settings ... AF-S, AF-C, both in focus priority and/or FPS priority?

If you have the time to do some testing with the DA*300/4 with moving subjects both laterally and toward you, at high ISO too, it would be perfect!

You mention having stepped up from the K20D; I was expecting some good AF improvement, as you relate, but I also wonder how it would compare to a K7 AF ... ?

Congratulations on your latest acquisition and I am truly looking forward to some great pics you will share here.

Cheers and have a great photography-weekend!

JP
10-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is scary ..... care to explain this?

JP