Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 02:05 AM   #46

I think we have to wait a bit longer before anybody left the "hey, whats that....ahhhh, oh cool, mmh another button, what might happen .......ahhhh, absolutly cool"-phase and see some real testing

Infact iam pretty angry that my local dealer havn't called me that he had a k-5 for testing

Not even amazon.de (Germany) can ship the K-5 atm (lol price of 2k $)

But a simple confirmation whether AF in Vodeo das work would be awesome and of course the buffer size !

10-16-2010, 02:39 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's a video of K-7 vs K-5 AF-C performance I found on youtube. Don't know if it has been posted before but here it is. Would you k-5 owners say the AF with the production FW is as fast? edit: just noticed on the K-5 I don't hear the confirmation beep, I wonder what that means?

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4nv2QGktbw[/YT]

Last edited by ovim; 10-16-2010 at 02:49 AM.
10-16-2010, 05:03 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
I don't hear the confirmation beep, I wonder what that means?
Maybe it just means you're losing your hearing (like me--I haven't heard the beep on any of my K bodies.
10-16-2010, 05:11 AM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
I think we have to wait a bit longer before anybody left the "hey, whats that....ahhhh, oh cool, mmh another button, what might happen .......ahhhh, absolutly cool"-phase and see some real testing

Infact iam pretty angry that my local dealer havn't called me that he had a k-5 for testing

Not even amazon.de (Germany) can ship the K-5 atm (lol price of 2k $)

But a simple confirmation whether AF in Vodeo das work would be awesome and of course the buffer size !
I have no experience with Movie mode but by just kicking off recording I have not found a button to push to make it AF while recording. I have also not gotten to the Movie section of the 370 page User Guide yet.

How does one measure buffer size? I can say it snaps 27 big/best quality jpegs at 7fps before slowing and then flushes in maybe 1/3 the time it took the K20D to do so. Also, the review pops up on the LCD during the write to SD card.

10-16-2010, 05:12 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Maybe it just means you're losing your hearing (like me--I haven't heard the beep on any of my K bodies.
Then Dadi, you probably won't hear this one as its a little more muffled sounding than the K20D, but its there.
10-16-2010, 05:15 AM   #51
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
As a non-owner, i have one complaint about the K5, i.e. I DON'T HAVE IT - YET

Seriously, is the new K5 shutter noise quieter than my K20??? Its important to me!!

thanks, Phil

Yes the shutter is quieter than the K20.
10-16-2010, 05:24 AM   #52
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yanzhi0714 Quote
maybe the Forum need to have some settings implemented to allow only real owners posting complaints
So far the only disappontment (and we had heard this already) is the nice hinged, locking doors on the K20D for battery and SD card are now flimsier using slide-to-open or flexible plastic for a hinge and seem a step back from the best in solid and weather proofing. But if I had never seen the K20D I probably would not have given it a second thought. If you don't stomp through salt marshes as I do you may not care.

10-16-2010, 05:24 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Me neither. I need a gong or something to go off!
10-16-2010, 05:36 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
As a non-owner, i have one complaint about the K5, i.e. I DON'T HAVE IT - YET

Seriously, is the new K5 shutter noise quieter than my K20??? Its important to me!!

thanks, Phil
From what I've heard the K-5 shutter noise is a little quieter than the K-7, and the K-7's shutter noise was about as quiet as any camera I've ever used (one of my favorite things about the camera). So yes, I would think the K-5's noise would be an improvement over your k20D
10-16-2010, 05:40 AM   #55

27 **** jpgs?

One of the PK Flyer stated that you can do 40 *** jpgs, so maybe we get our 15 RAW-Puffer.

Would you be so kind and try to shoot Raw till buffer is full and it slows down?

Thanks, appreciate your patience and your posts !

Regards Mehlsack
10-16-2010, 05:43 AM   #56
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
From what I've heard the K-5 shutter noise is a little quieter than the K-7, and the K-7's shutter noise was about as quiet as any camera I've ever used (one of my favorite things about the camera). So yes, I would think the K-5's noise would be an improvement over your k20D
Personally when I tried one last week it was quieter than it seams from that Spanish video. It's about time that Pentax came out of the cupboard.

Still not sure why Kirk from the Gilmore Girls was used at all.
10-16-2010, 06:14 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
Here's a video of K-7 vs K-5 AF-C performance I found on youtube. Don't know if it has been posted before but here it is. Would you k-5 owners say the AF with the production FW is as fast? edit: just noticed on the K-5 I don't hear the confirmation beep, I wonder what that means?

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4nv2QGktbw[/YT]
Don't really know what he's doing, but yeah, its kinda like that
10-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
No question the K5 shutter is quieter than the K7.

I just fired them both off, one right after another, and without a doubt the K5 makes less noise. To be sure I wasn't just hearing what I wanted to hear, I had my wife close her eyes and listen to both and she confirmed the same thing.
10-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I've actually drafted a survey, not to be posted yet, about K5 complaints from non-owners ...

Cheers.

JP
I've got some big complaints!
A: I don't have one in my hot sweaty hands!
B: The high ISO shots are too good. I want them to be like my K20D so I don't feel jealous!
C: I don't have one yet.
D: The AF speed is much faster. That means I'll be taking more shots in the same amount of shooting time. Because of that I'm going to have to buy more SD cards! And get a bigger external hard drive! There must be a conspiracy between Pentax and the SD and HD people!
E: I don't own it
F: The K-5 is lighter and smaller than my K20D. That means that I don't get as much exercise when I carry it around. Since I'm exercising less that means I'm burning fewer calories. Since I'm burning less calories that means I'll gain weight. It is intuitively obvious that getting a K-5 will make you fat!
G: I haven't gotten mine yet

NaCl(anyone see a pattern here?)H2O
10-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Just for your info, the beep alert on the K-5 can be switched on or off. You can also adjust the volume.