Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Thanks for the pictures. The night shoots looks really good to me, I can't see any banding (but then I'm on a crappy laptop right now) and really nice to see that DFS can be switched off without anything bad turning up.

10-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #77
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent work Frank with those long exposures. Looks like the sensor holds up quite well in the noise department. Can't wait to see someone try a star trail shot with it...
10-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by badbrother Quote
thanks for sharing the shots by K-5.

maybe my exifviewer has to keep up with the latest models like K-5 , but it indicates (among other things) :

# Exposure Bias (EV) = -3/10 ===> -0.3
# Metering Mode = pattern / multi-segment (5)
# White Balance = auto (0)
# Scene Capture Type = standard (0)
# Contrast = hard (2)
# Saturation = normal (0)
# Sharpness = hard (2)

Do these read-outs correspond to the actual camera body setting?
What is the color mode used? Neutral/Standard?

Since Pentax metering has a track record of under-exposing, I instinctively have this question in mind when viewing test-shots from new models. (any improvements?)

Well, both shots look a little under-expose for my taste. (well, it could well be that my monitor is not as bright as yours). I am wondering why you opt to minus the exposure by 0.3 EV and what's your thought on the metering performance.

Given that both shots were taken with Contrast & Sharpness set to "hard" ( +1 in the Pentax scale?) by 2 very good primes, it is a surprise that we are not seeing punchier images. While the sharpness of the EOS lady is perfect (ie sharp with lots of details without being harsh), i am expecting a crisper image from a DA macro lens for the lotus (maybe the dull lighting is the culprit here).

So my question is ... is K-5 calibrated to give very neutral/subdued image by default?
Or to put it in perspective, does the K-5 exhibit a different character in image rendering when compared to earlier models (k-7/k20d/k10d)?

A case in point ... I absolutely love the color rendering of the EOS lady, the skin tone is gorgeous, the colors are all in harmony and reservedly pleasant ( none of the red, orange nor blue is jumpy) ... but then I think, it's a bit uncharacteristic of Pentax.

Pardon me for all these babbling and thanks for any thoughts you might like to share.
The reason why there was a -1/3 stop exposure compensation was simply because I didn't change the setting from an earlier shot. The lady was crossing the street and it was an unplanned grab shot. Color mode was set at the default Bright.

The tendency of under exposing was in the past models. Current models expose more faithfully. Just a matter of knowing how the camera meters and compensating accordingly. I actually like the way the K-5 renders colors but there are many variables to consider that can affect this.
10-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
With those crops, it is really hard to tell if the NR is doing anything. Noise and details look to be the same in both pictures.
Maybe there is nothing to do. Freaking nice.
I must place an order.

10-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Okay, some friends asked me to do some long time exposure test. Just now I took two shots at ISO100 in B mode, one (192s) w/ noise reduction turned ON, and one (189s) turned OFF. The one w/ NR ON took equal time to remove the noise after the shot is taken, the other one don't have this delay. File format set to RAW+, and RAW is in PEF format.
WOW!
I'm speechless...
10-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #81

I know its highly unlikely but doesn't hurt to ask. Does the DA35/2.4 cover FF image circle? Thanks
10-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #82
ogl
Banned

Сan we see any DNG/PEF?

10-17-2010, 02:46 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Сan we see any DNG/PEF?
I agee with OGL but with one additional requirement. In order to fully appreciate the higher performance of the K-5 I think it is useless to post let's say K-5 ISO12800 DN/PEF unls we can compare them with K-7 ISO 128000 PEF/DNG. .

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote

I read the other day that Cartier-Bresson would quit coffee for long stretches so his hands would be steadier while shooting. Now that's dedication.
Wow... That goes beyond my dedication, no way I'll give up my coffee.!!!

Besides, I need coffee to stay awake for the decisive moment...
10-17-2010, 03:52 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bats Quote
Interesting. They are remarkably similar.

One thing I notice immediately on the uncropped shots - since I take a lot of night shots with the K10D - is that the K5 still shows a slight bit of posterization / banding in the gradients of the sky. I get this quite a bit with the K10D when photographing foggy night skies and it drives me nuts. I suspect some of it is due to the conversion from 12-or-14 bit colors to 8-bit... and some is just the limitations of sensors.
You missed out two other possible limiting factors - your PC's graphics card, your PC monitor (especially if its an LCD type).
10-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #85
Inactive Account

a question to someone who has a K-5 is there really no SR during video mode?
10-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #86
MAC

QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
SR appears to work the same as with the K-7
10-17-2010, 07:21 AM   #87
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MAC Quote
SR appears to work the same as with the K-7
THX !!!
10-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
SR is off in Video on Default settings.
You need to turn it on using the Movie menu. The SR does produce some audible noise in Video if you are using the Internal mike and the ambient is relatively quiet.
10-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First, thank you Frank for sharing and doing all this work for us.

I especially like the setting that the camera can remember the last menu page now (can be enabled/disabled).
Nice. Little ergonomic improvements like this can make a big difference to usability.

4. There are 5 User settings to keep rather than only one like on K7, not really a big deal, but some might find it useful
Good if the user settings store more information than previously. On my K20D the very things I want remembered are not. Also, can the settings be named? With five of them I hope so!

5. RAW (FX)button now can be defined as some other quick accesses too.
I have been calling for a "soft button" for a long time. The Green button on the K-x is definable but there are still more functions that could be added as possibilities. Now we need a "soft switch" and a "soft menu" for full configuration.

6. Long exposure NR (noise reduction) can be turned OFF (thank you Pentax!)
Glad this is confirmed. Finally Pentax has listened to those for whom this has been a major headache.

NR ON - JPG
NR ON - PEF converted to JPG
NR OFF - JPG
NR OFF - PEF converted to JPG
I see no point of focus here so I cannot judge anything from the images. Everything seems soft from being OOF.
10-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Good if the user settings store more information than previously. On my K20D the very things I want remembered are not. Also, can the settings be named? With five of them I hope so!
The pre-prod models at Photokina allowed giving each user mode a name indeed. Essential I agree, and Pentax does too.

Wim