Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
I agree with you. However the topic that I am responding to is the claim that "no one" uses high ISO as stated by one member who thinks that the general public doesn't use it either, and that it is only the camera review sites that rave about it. For me high ISO is great when I have the need to freeze motion when indoors with dim lighting and when using a flash is not permissible.
I think the original point that was being made was that too much focus/emphasis was being placed on "high ISO".

And also that if one is TRULY interested in image quality, one probably "shouldn't" capture at ISO above 1600.

I think that is true for the new cameras (K-5 and K-r) as well as the older models. It is true even on the EOS 1D (which I have been playing around with recently).

And even on the older models, one can get very good "high ISO" images simply by shooting at low ISO, but deliberately underexposing by 1-2 stops, and then brighten up during post processing. Basically, SR will give the equivalent of 1-2 stops, RAW headroom plus deliberate underexposure has another 1-2 stops, and the NR algorithm in Lightroom 3 can clean up noise very well, and give ISO1600 pictures on my K10D comparable quality to the pictures coming out of the newer cameras.

Not that I'm saying I'm not lusting after the new cameras. Hoping to buy a K-5 once the price drops. But high ISO to me was a "nice to have" rather than the key difference.

10-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #62
Forum Member

The emphasis on ISO is probably because Pentax finally caught up/mildly exceeded the competition when the K-X was launched. Now with the K-R and K5, expectations are high to better what the K-X achieved.
10-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
I agree with you. However the topic that I am responding to is the claim that "no one" uses high ISO as stated by one member who thinks that the general public doesn't use it either, and that it is only the camera review sites that rave about it. For me high ISO is great when I have the need to freeze motion when indoors with dim lighting and when using a flash is not permissible.
Exactly - one reason why I love my humble K-x, extra ISO is icing on the cake when you need it.
But, for me anyway, it's not the holy grail single feature that eliminates world poverty and stops glaciers melting either.

And I fully agree about the wannabes & reviewers who rave to death over it like boring politician speech yawnfests. (thankfully we can usually change the channel, click Next, when caught up reading that 'eludicating' stuff)

Also to that person saying "the general public doesn't use it". Hmm just might be a bit short sighted in the rational logic department there, IMhO - when it's commonly claimed that so many "average people" leave their cameras on Auto-pilot settings, might not the camera itself be exploiting ISO capability to its fullest where and when needed, even if the user is oblivious to that fact?

Remember, and this especially applies to Mr&Ms Digital Average too, ISO is no longer that annoying ASA number buying decision that we used to have to make that locked us in with no possible escape for the next 12, 24, 36 snaps.
Automation is a wonderful asset to enjoy regardless of expertise level.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-16-2010 at 10:57 PM.
10-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I love how this thread has completely been overtaken by canon 7d owners
That also use Pentax

10-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #65
Veteran Member

K-5 high ISO model shots

One of my Pentax buddies just shot some models indoors with no flash with the K-5 set at high ISO (ISO 2500). With the new enhanced capability of the new generation of cameras, it is time everyone shed their old paradigm and aversion to shooting at higher ISOs and think about the photographic possibilities that it can now offer.

Pentax K-5 at Thai Fashion Show, S'pore Oct 16: Low Light, No Flash, High ISO - ClubSNAP Photography Forums
10-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #66
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
That also use Pentax
That's right! I see the pros and cons of both systems. I'm still keeping my Pentax gear and maybe even acquire the K-R sometime soon. I like the JPEG output of my K-X compared to my 7D, but for AF it's 7D by a long stretch.
10-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #67

Thank you, 7D users who has the guts to tell about real world experiences with both systems..

10-17-2010, 01:30 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
7D? what? Canon naturally produce crappy natural colors right out of the camera.

I mess with a 7D all the time, never in any chance that I'd purchase one. 7D did get some improved AF from Canon, but it's nowhere to be sounding that great...
Oh god, here we go AGAIN with the misinformation and general crap that comes out on these forums.

Do I need to whip this URL out again:

Autofocus Torture Test Updated (Canon 1D MKIV & Nikon D3S added) | Pro Photo Home

... and as far as JPG out of the camera looking crappy:

I'd say JPG out of the camera looked great compared to other leading DSLRs, wouldn't you? I certainly can't see any crappy performance at 100% pixel peeping. As a 7D owner I can also speak from experience that the JPGs from the camera are not "crappy".

Dude, you really are sounding like a zealous fanboy.
10-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMHO, all such comparisons are pointless from the start. Unless one is considering switching systems and looking to decide which system to choose, it makes no sense to cross-brand compare the cameras. There are several reasons to that that in my view make sense.

Here is one. Consider a person who has invested so many thousands of dollars into a system (no matter which brand) - couple of cameras, nice set of lenses, some premium glass, may be. So they read on the net that another camera however similar but of different brand has so many more stops of DR (usually this specific figure is small, though), or that the noise levels are somewhat lower, etc. What real use is in this information? None whatsoever, up to the fifth decimal digit, if you ask me.
10-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
One of my Pentax buddies just shot some models indoors with no flash with the K-5 set at high ISO (ISO 2500). With the new enhanced capability of the new generation of cameras, it is time everyone shed their old paradigm and aversion to shooting at higher ISOs and think about the photographic possibilities that it can now offer.

Pentax K-5 at Thai Fashion Show, S'pore Oct 16: Low Light, No Flash, High ISO - ClubSNAP Photography Forums
Those are very impressive samples, particularly for indoors / high ISO - very promising indeed .
10-17-2010, 03:50 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really don't like Canon's out of camera colors. Not sure what it is, but skin tones in particular feel a bit off to me. I don't really like Nikon colors either, so I guess I am stuck with Pentax. Yes, I know that it is all in how you process your images, but I would rather shoot something that looks right to me in the beginning.
10-17-2010, 04:33 AM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really don't like Canon's out of camera colors. Not sure what it is, but skin tones in particular feel a bit off to me. I don't really like Nikon colors either, so I guess I am stuck with Pentax. Yes, I know that it is all in how you process your images, but I would rather shoot something that looks right to me in the beginning.
But that is your opinion, but the matter of the fact is Canon colors out of camera are great, try telling that to Jerry Ghionis who is one of the best in the World.
10-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #73
Veteran Member

SpartanWarrior, like any professional photographer worth their salt, Jerry Ghionis does post process his images... I should know because I paid a lot of money to attend one of his workshops. Nothing to do with Canon colors and what not...
10-17-2010, 05:01 AM   #74

Creampuff I know that, but who doesn't?
10-17-2010, 05:55 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Well, I think the K-5 and who knows about the K-R will have more of the features that might keep some photographers within pentax (the ones that didn't already jump ship to canon or nikon). We don't know how well the AF is in tracking a target in AF-C but we we know from that video on youtube that the AF locks faster than the K-7 did. And so far we have seen reports of better high ISO...

Which honestly might make it worth it for me because I have never been able to put great low light shots out of my K20d.. I am not really sure what I am going to get first. I am kind of trying to build up a kit and would love a second flash..