Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 and K-r! Let's Do It, RIGHT! Comparing to their competitors!

Can people start to compare K-5 to 7D and D300s? I think that will be a fair comparison.

Some people might be excited about D7000, I had chance to play with it for a few hours a couple of days ago, the AF is not that fast, I hate the control on the top left hand side, not the best design and easily to turn both dials by accident; I am not that impressed with its buttons layout. I hope the D700 upgrade won't be doing all that on their buttons layout.

I think People should start comparing the K-r for it's performance and features with D7000(weather sealed body and 1080P) and 60D(1080P), I think K-r is going to keep up with those two cameras just fine, other than lack of 1080P video(I personally don't care). I did think K-x was a little cheap built, but it seems like K-r is going to be a better built camera than its lil bro...

commons are welcome......

10-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
Can people start to compare K-5 to 7D and D300s? I think that will be a fair comparison.

Some people might be excited about D7000, I had chance to play with it for a few hours a couple of days ago, the AF is not that fast, I hate the control on the top left hand side, not the best design and easily to turn both dials by accident; I am not that impressed with its buttons layout. I hope the D700 upgrade won't be doing all that on their buttons layout.

I think People should start comparing the K-r for it's performance and features with D7000(weather sealed body and 1080P) and 60D(1080P), I think K-r is going to keep up with those two cameras just fine, other than lack of 1080P video(I personally don't care). I did think K-x was a little cheap built, but it seems like K-r is going to be a better built camera than its lil bro...

commons are welcome......
I think that you will be happy very soon because many people here have started to produce some shots taken with the K5 and K-r, and apparently PF might just have them in hand as we speak (assumption taken from another thread ... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118436-k-5-iso80-v...study-jpg.html).
To name a few, JohnBee, Frank, PF and a few others will be conduction tests and convey the results here in the near future. Stay tuned!

As for comparisons between the Pentax cameras vs. those of other brands, I am sure this will happen in due time, but we have to be patient.

Cheers.

JP
10-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know the comparisons will be coming, but I am sick of K-5 being compared to D7000, yes, they were released at the same trading show, doesn't mean they are in the same league...

That's all.

I know I will be happy with it, I might just pick up a K-r for fun, too....
10-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know the comparisons will be coming, but I am sick of K-5 being compared to D7000, yes, they were released at the same trading show, doesn't mean they are in the same league...

That's all.

Got your point Luke.

As far as I am concerned, the only two things that do matter (to me) are: improved AF and improved high ISO handling. This far, I think I am quite pleased with preliminary results shown on this forum.

If people want to have comparisons with other brands, that is their choice and I am sure they will come (the comparisons).

Until then, I am enjoying the hype about the K5 and K-r.

Cheers.

JP

10-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
some people have been talking about the K-5 a little pricier than the D7000... thats definitely not the right way to compare with the cameras... oh well...

I agree with you, much improved AF and low light are what I am looking for as well. Price wouldn't be a huge problem right now.
I am getting my K-5 on Tuesday, I am very excited to take it out....
10-15-2010, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I hope that, due to the apparent great price/performance of the K-r and K-5, many Pentax people will be able to climb out from under their perpetual brand inferiority complexes and general gloominess, and get their photographic groove back. Fingers crossed.
10-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I hope that, due to the apparent great price/performance of the K-r and K-5, many Pentax people will be able to climb out from under their perpetual brand inferiority complexes and general gloominess, and get their photographic groove back. Fingers crossed.
How timely you are posting this, rawr.

As of late, I have been trying hard to hone my skills, using oft'neglected lenses in combination with my ol' K20D and K7.

And one of the major reasons to do so is all of the hype about the K5/K-r. Why? Because I told myself "Hey! Better be ready for this new camera!", so why not go out there and go crazy, trying all sorts of shots whether they turn good or not?

So, I've been out in the rain, cold, wind, streets, indoors ... places where I usually don't do photography. And guess what? I love it!

As for the inferiority complex .... not me! I've had Pentax gear since the seventies and these two new additions just confirmed my want to continue with them.
I was sincerely hoping to see improved AF and high ISO ... got them now! Just have to make a decision as to WHEN I will get the K5.

So, back to taking pictures.

Cheers.

JP

10-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's all.

Why wouldn't the K-5 and the D7000 be in the same league? What makes them so different that one is clearly superior or inferior to the other?

Jason
10-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

some people have been talking about the K-5 a little pricier than the D7000... thats definitely not the right way to compare with the cameras... oh well...
Those who said that are like "sour grapes" because they have spent the money on 7D and D300s and there is no way that K-5 is equal or better and yet cost less than what they for in the other brand. Camera technology is going through the same path we experienced in desktop/laptop computing in the 80s.

I am getting my K-5 on Tuesday, I am very excited to take it out....
I bet you are excited and especially if the AF is indeed what has been described by others already posted.

Cheers!
10-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

(Fair? Hehe, OK I'll play, let's analyse that "claim".)

"People" already do exactly that, and they always have done so.

It's referred by various terms like: market penetration; buyer acceptance; uptake numbers; product acceptance in real numbers that count.

And is ultimately measured in corporate bottom lines. Never the subjective opinions of individuals.

And no amount of lipstick on pigs, or rose coloured glasses pseudo analyses, or dorky pissing contest features comparisons, can ever change those facts. :-)

It's great to see Pentax pull off two in a row though, after the K-x now the K-5 -- but one-trick-ponies have been done before, the cold harsh reality is there's one hell of a long and bumpy road to travel yet, even to keep heads above water.

Better mousetraps do make nice novelties but are as quickly forgotten as they are pushed off their pedestals in the natural cyclic progress evolvement, just how many have ever been lasting winners?

.R.
//
"In experiments at Baylor University where people were given Coke and Pepsi
in unmarked cups and then hooked up to a brain scanner, the device clearly
showed a certain number of them preferred Pepsi while tasting it.

When those people were told they were drinking Pepsi, a fraction of them, the
ones who had enjoyed Coke all their lives, did something unexpected. The
scanner showed their brains scrambling the pleasure signals, dampening them.
They then told the experimenter afterward they had preferred Coke in the taste tests.

They lied, but in their subjective experiences of the situation, they didn't.
They really did feel like they preferred Coke after it was all over, and they
altered their memories to match their emotions."

-- Fanboyism and Brand Loyalty You Are Not So Smart
\\

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-15-2010 at 09:13 PM.
10-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can compare any two cameras. Why not compare the Canon 550 to the 7D? Supposedly they have roughly the same sensor, at the same time there are big differences in build quality. I am not certain in comparing the D300s to the D7000 what the differences are. Faster frame rate? Autofocus with video? Anyway, you could argue that Nikon has effectively destroyed the D300 series by bringing out the D7000. I don't see the D7000 taking sales away from Pentax so much as it does kill upper end APS-C sales.
10-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

now that they've caught up in the body department im interested in what glass they have on the drawing board so far 18-135/65-300, 35 and 100/55 macro, any little birdies willing to sing or "tweet"

Last edited by Clicker; 10-16-2010 at 07:05 AM.
10-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I can make a comparison! The one thing I have never particularly liked about Nikon is ergonomics. Of course they are a lot of better than Canon but Pentax gets it better!

Lets take a look.

Here is a Shot of the back of a D7000.

You'll notice that like Pentax, they have a rear dial for making easy adjustments ... but they put in the wrong place! The story is the same for the D300s.

Lets take a look at the K-5 and show you what i am talking about...

Notice that Pentax has pretty similar layout to the D7000 but the AE-L button and the rear dial are reversed!

This is important because on the Pentax you can make adjustments in the viewfinder without having to lift your palm up to adjust the dial. This of course is more natural and importantly allows you to keep the camera more stable!

Canon of course doesn't even have dials ... cus they don't make cameras for photographers! ha ha ha kidding... not really.

10-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Can people start to compare K-5 to 7D and D300s? I think that will be a fair comparison. .
This is what DPR review had to say when they tested the 7D (Comparing the D300s and the k-7 and the 50D).

"Again, the graphs below confirm what we can see in the sample crops. The 50D produces more chroma noise than the EOS 7D at higher ISOs. The Pentax K-7 is still slightly worse than the Nikon and EOS 7D at very high ISOs but the gap is smaller in RAW. At high ISOs the the 7D and its closest rival, the Nikon D300S, are more or less level in terms of chroma noise."

NOTE THE "SLIGHTLY WORSE" AND "GAP IS SMALLER IN RAW".

This is with the K-7. Later the K-x was reported as the best APS-C iso performer, and to beat it one has to get a FF. The K-x has about a 1.5 to 2 stop advantage over the K-7at high iso.

Now early reports seems to imply the K-5 to have as good as a high iso perfromance as that to the K-x.

Now, why in the world would anyone ask such a question as you pose ? yet many do (not just you....I am sorry if this looks like I am targetting you, not my intention, just the pattern I am seeing). the 7D and the D300s only had a slightly better high iso performance than even the K-7 for god sake...the k-5 will run circles around them.

I too am so glad the K-5 is priced the way it is....hopefully that will help with this mass inferiority comples Penatxians seems to have.

The D300s and the 7D are not even in the same league to the K-5 for iso performance., they were only slightly better than the K-7 at very high iso...the D7000 however could be comapred with the K-5 for high iso performance.
10-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

That's why I'm eagerly awaiting RAW output from the K-5.
What we've seen so far are mainly JPEG output from the camera, and Pentax has always been best appreciated from RAW output.

As they say "You ain't seen nothing yet" from the K-5.