Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kales Quote
don't know how they test the sensor but I believe nothing in DxO after I saw they rank D90 as highest ISO score in crop sensors. that's funny and ridiculous.
imaging is a system work, technically and pratically you can't test sensor alone.

side to side shoot at the same condition will be more convincing for me.
I can't speak for the K5 but K7 is not in the same league as 7d in ISO performance and that's from shooting side by side.

10-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are we splitting hairs again about high ISO... seriously so many pentax shooters seem to have this complex about high ISO..

Here let me tell you about shooting pictures at settings i never use ... oh i could but ... i never shoot pictures at anything higher than 1600 ... Nor does anyone else for that matter. I wonder how many of the best pictures ever taken, whatever body, where shot at anything higher than 1600 ... very very few.

The only reason we care about ISO is because reviewers focus on it so heavily... oh look how this picture at 6400 ISO is almost useable (almost) on the 7D~!!!

Instead of focusing on something ergonomics and anything under ISO 1600: something pentax will always win...
10-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #33
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
Are we splitting hairs again about high ISO... seriously so many pentax shooters seem to have this complex about high ISO..

Here let me tell you about shooting pictures at settings i never use ... oh i could but ... i never shoot pictures at anything higher than 1600 ... Nor does anyone else for that matter. I wonder how many of the best pictures ever taken, whatever body, where shot at anything higher than 1600 ... very very few.

The only reason we care about ISO is because reviewers focus on it so heavily... instead of focusing on something ergonomics. Something pentax will always win...
Well, ever since I got the 7D about a month ago, I have been shooting way more photos that I ever dreamed of with my K200. With the K200, my max ISO was 800, and even that looked bad. On the 7D, I can push it to 3200 and not even worry about noise. Even 6400 is usable with some work. So I personally use 1600 or more a lot.
10-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Well, ever since I got the 7D about a month ago, I have been shooting way more photos that I ever dreamed of with my K200. With the K200, my max ISO was 800, and even that looked bad. On the 7D, I can push it to 3200 and not even worry about noise. Even 6400 is usable with some work. So I personally use 1600 or more a lot.
The 7D is also a lot newer and kind of an orange to the k200d apple.. The k200d is basically the k10d minus some prosumer features. Its also a CCD sensor compared to a CMOS sensor lol. It it being a k10d (basically) it was released 4 years ago and Pentax has come a long way since then lol. K20D uses a Cmos sensor and is quite a bit better at noise than the k10d sensor.

If ISO performance was your number one concern you should have gotten a K-X.

10-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #35
Raylon

i never shoot pictures at anything higher than 1600 ... Nor does anyone else for that matter.
I was more responding to that. That's quite a lie you told there. I didn't want a little toy body, which the Kx has. I wanted fast AF with high ISO performance and cropping power. I wanted AF servo mode, where I can easily focus on a moving target. No Pentax camera currently has all of those things. Everyone says the AF on the K-5 is freaky fast, but I doubt they all have used a 7D.

And you simply can't argue about ergonomics. It's a personal issue. I find the K-7 simply too small and not enough direct control. With 4 buttons on top and two jog dials, I can change literally everything I need to on the 7D. You obviously differ in opinion.

Last edited by Raylon; 10-16-2010 at 11:45 AM.
10-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
I was more responding to that. That's quite a lie you told there. I didn't want a little toy body, which the Kx has. I wanted fast AF with high ISO performance and cropping power. I wanted AF servo mode, where I can easily focus on a moving target. No Pentax camera currently has all of those things. Everyone says the AF on the K-5 is freaky fast, but I doubt they all have used a 7D.

And you simply can't argue about ergonomics. It's a personal issue. I find the K-7 simply too small and not enough direct control. With 4 buttons on top and two jog dials, I can change literally everything I need to on the 7D. You obviously differ in opinion.
Not enough direct control? You can change ISO, Aperture, and Shutterspeed without taking your eye from the viewfinder.. Of course on pentax cameras the dial is up where it should be ... where my thumb is lol

Last edited by Chwisch87; 10-16-2010 at 12:58 PM.
10-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
I know the comparisons will be coming, but I am sick of K-5 being compared to D7000, yes, they were released at the same trading show, doesn't mean they are in the same league...
Comparing the K-5 to the D7000 seems reasonable, because they share the same sensor, but the K-5's natural competitors are the D300s (D400 when available) and the 7D. I expect the D400 to be a killer camera, utilizing the same Sony sensor, or an updated version of it. It is unlikely, however, to have in-camera image stabilization or the K-5's compact size and superb ergonomics.

Rob

10-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #38
Raylon

Not enough direct control? You can change ISO, Aperture, and Shutterspeed without taking your eye from the viewfinder.. Of course on pentax cameras the dial is up where it should be ... where my thumb is lol
Yea and on pentax, right where I want to hold the cameara, there is a stupid dial right in the way. Like I said, it's all personal preference. On my Canon I can change everything I need, ISO, flash output, Aperture, Shutterspeed, AF point/mode, all without leaving the viewfinder. And I can change whitebalance, metering, drive mode, all without even turning on the main back LCD. And I don't see a dedicated buton to turn the top LCD backlight on and off. A super handy feature of the 7D.
10-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love how this thread has completely been overtaken by canon 7d owners
10-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #40
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
There's more than one?
10-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #41

Is it realy necessary to compare this cameras? K-* have big advantage - K-Mount But if you want to use third party lenses... yes, it may be useful.
10-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Im kind of curious about that too. Considering ... its a Pentax forum? lol.

But hey if you really want to buy a camera from a company that makes you buy an entire new kit to get the latest features, changes their mount on you, or a company that charges you 300 dollars more for say a 100mm Marco lens ... i mean go right a head lol.

But hey ... the AF is faster lol (of course will have to see the reviews on the k-5). I suppose the extra money is worth it for the one or two times you need something like that lol.
10-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Sadly, a lot of the PF has been taken over by inaccurate hearsay bourne out of rumours and half-truths - those of us that run Canon systems and Pentax systems are much more qualified to make informed decisions and give advice around equipment comparisons. Whenever high ISO performance comes up, there will always be the unmentionable "EOS 7D" floating into the conversation.

The thread title does say "comparing to their competitors", so what do you expect?
10-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Oh well, what we need is owner of BOTH K-5 and 7D to do a comparison, not argue the specs on paper to no end...
10-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
Can people start to compare K-5 to 7D and D300s? I think that will be a fair comparison.
K-5, D7000 and 7D is the trio in the combat area. That's the current sweet spot in the enthusiast market.

D300s and 60D have already been dismissed by many in this combat.