Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #46
Veteran Member

I would love the opportunity to shoot with a K-5, infact I might replace my K20D with one - that's how excited I am about this Pentax body because I do believe that the sensor (amongst other things) is going to be epic.

Crystal clear ISO 100 for my landscapes, very sweet ISO 6400 (and more...) when I need it. That is what Pentax have finally given us. Top work.

SDM2 is the final piece of the pie.

10-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #47
Forum Member

Where did you get the "Nor does anyone else for that matter"? I got into photography because of my soon to be born daughter which was 2 years ago. Taking her pictures indoors makes me rely on high ISO a lot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
Are we splitting hairs again about high ISO... seriously so many pentax shooters seem to have this complex about high ISO..

Here let me tell you about shooting pictures at settings i never use ... oh i could but ... i never shoot pictures at anything higher than 1600 ... Nor does anyone else for that matter. I wonder how many of the best pictures ever taken, whatever body, where shot at anything higher than 1600 ... very very few.

The only reason we care about ISO is because reviewers focus on it so heavily... oh look how this picture at 6400 ISO is almost useable (almost) on the 7D~!!!

Instead of focusing on something ergonomics and anything under ISO 1600: something pentax will always win...
10-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
7D? what? Canon naturally produce crappy natural colors right out of the camera.
I mess with a 7D all the time, never in any chance that I'd purchase one. 7D did get some improved AF from Canon, but it's nowhere to be sounding that great... Canon did try to get the new button layout on the 7D, I would give 7D a little prop on that, and Canon did learn or shall I say "COPY" from Pentax to put a dedicated "RAW" button on there... thats every thoughtful of Canon, don't we all agree?!?!?!?! or NOT...

Let's get some chance to do some direct comparison with the K-5, D300s, and 7D, and go from there.
10-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
Where did you get the "Nor does anyone else for that matter"? I got into photography because of my soon to be born daughter which was 2 years ago. Taking her pictures indoors makes me rely on high ISO a lot.
Well the point of my "nor does anyone else for that matter" is basically the fact of the matter is, if you are looking to take your best photo possible, you are going to stick to around ISO 200 to 320... no matter what body you use. Your best photos are taken under ideal light conditions. Most of us are not looking to take a picture at even 1600 and expecting to get into the PPG. And even for indoor photography, IMO, its always best to just bring out a nice strobe.

10-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #50
Forum Member

I don't think "most of us" take pictures on a daily basis with the thought of landing in the PPG in the back of our minds. I take pictures for me and my family's satisfaction of recording memories.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
Well the point of my "nor does anyone else for that matter" is basically the fact of the matter is, if you are looking to take your best photo possible, you are going to stick to around ISO 200 to 320... no matter what body you use. Your best photos are taken under ideal light conditions. Most of us are not looking to take a picture at even 1600 and expecting to get into the PPG. And even for indoor photography, IMO, its always best to just bring out a nice strobe.
10-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Picture of my nephew at 2 years old, taken at handheld ISO400 in fairly low light conditions on a K10D - I also have pictures of him as a newborn baby, taken in almost dark conditions at the hospital, again at ISO400 on a K10D.
10-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #52
Forum Member

While this is not a picture of my kid, let's see you manage this shot at low ISO without a tripod. And yes this was very dark scene.

Shot hand-held with my K-X and DA* 16-50 at 1/4 sec. F2.8 ISO 6400

10-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Low ISO, no tripod (you can tell the shutter speed is very slow due to the blur in the pedestrians - SR on the K10D is great!)
10-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #54
Forum Member

Sorry but I would rather not have blurry subjects in my photos.

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Low ISO, no tripod (you can tell the shutter speed is very slow due to the blur in the pedestrians - SR on the K10D is great!)
10-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #55
Veteran Member

LOL!

I did! That photo would look terrible if the two walkers were in focus.

And this one would also look pretty ordinary if it was taken at high ISO and a high shutter speed:
10-16-2010, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

Non blurry "subjects"
10-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Excellent images both Christine!
10-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #58
Forum Member

Let me restate that, unless I'm trying for an artistic shot I don't want any kind of motion blur in my shots due to long shutter speeds.
10-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Neither do I, that's why I refuse to subscribe to the 'bokeH' fad. It's just deliberate blur that only serves to confuse the human eye and brain (which are biologically designed to try and 'translate into clarity', for our own benefit, such as safety). Bokeh is bleah! like drunken focus.

But like Christine T shows so well in a[nother] example pic reply, the Flamenco Dancers? (gorgeous pic btw Chris); "motion blur" is a very different thing. And it can be truly artistic as well as realistic to capture because again, that is what or eyes and brain often 'see' and gather of fast-moving objects (in momentary flashes thereof, it's the real frozen time of speed and action).

Motion blur is more of a skills and technical challenge to accomplish too, often no second chances; in contrast to simply owning the most expensive fast lens and keep snapping a dumb posing object wide open until you get one 'right'.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-16-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Clarified wording.
10-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #60
Forum Member

I agree with you. However the topic that I am responding to is the claim that "no one" uses high ISO as stated by one member who thinks that the general public doesn't use it either, and that it is only the camera review sites that rave about it. For me high ISO is great when I have the need to freeze motion when indoors with dim lighting and when using a flash is not permissible.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Neither do I, that's why I refuse to subscribe to the 'bokeH' fad. It's just deliberate blur that only serves to confuse the human eye and brain (which are biologically designed to try and 'translate into clarity', for our own benefit, such as safety). Bokeh is bleah! like drunken focus.

But like Christine T shows so well in a example pic reply, "motion blur" is a very different thing. And it can be truly artistic as well as realistic to capture because again, that is what or eyes and brain often 'see' and gather of fast-moving objects (in momentary flashes).

Motion blur is more of a skills and technical challenge to accomplish too, often no second chances; in contrast to simply owning the most expensive fast lens and snapping a dumb posing object until you get one right.

.R.