Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Surely you've posted the same image, right?
Seriously, I'm very impressed.

I got chance to check out a K-5 in a store yesterday, but didn't have a memory card with me to save any pics.
I have a card with me today, so I might pop in on my lunch break and shoot some pics.
The store also has a 645D on display for trying out.

Anyway, thanks for the time to post the pics.

10-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The Sony Exmoor sensor is no doubt really excellent. I think Pentax worked some of its own magic on the picture processing.

Hard to make a definitive conclusion yet, but the K-5 shots look BETTER than the D7000 shots I've seen so far.
I wouldn't dare say they are comparable to Full Frame cameras yet, but, for its price, the K-5 sure can give FF's a good run for the money...

*GULP* - the K-5 is very likely worth the MRSP......."getting ready to be flamed"....
10-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
wow...JB....those shots just suck so bad!! hahahaha....nice job and for sharing. At least here nobody said you used someone else's images....sigh!!
Ya that was a bummer...
I actually only found the original poster's name after the edit time on my original post ended(timed function).
I don't usually post un-credited images, but the excitement of my findings was just too much to bare

PS. I'm going to post a comment with the original link to help keep things in the straight and narrow.

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
the K-5 sure can give FF's a good run for the money...
I think so.
There's no doubt it doesn't beat all of the FF systems out there.
But... it certainly looks like it has bested the D700 FF.
Though we won't know for sure until we get to scrutinize files from both systems in a controlled setting.

Having said that, I'd be willing to put a wager on the numbers

Last edited by JohnBee; 10-15-2010 at 07:51 PM.
10-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Wow and I thought the K-r was impressive at high ISO!

Not that I would need more than what the K-r has but that comparison is very impressive!!

10-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

wtf?

Anyways, for curiosity's sake, I'd like to see the originals with EXIF. The detail retention is pretty sweet, although the deblurring is misleading.

Wonder how well the K-r cleans up.

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-15-2010 at 08:01 PM.
10-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I can still remember when I first mentioned(here) that the K-5 would give FF a run for it's money... - which was met with responses that were nothing short of memorable
If you properly expose, I'm not that surprised at your results with the similiar stuff we've seen from the D7000 (Chase Jarvis posted a clean ISO3200 image in his blog post at the intro).

However, FF has more exposure latitude at high ISO than APS-C. When you need high ISO, people tend to push things a bit too much and underexpose (e.g., set the shutter speed too high because they need to freeze people's movements).
Do the denoise thing again on an underexposed high ISO image and it'll probably look quite a bit worse than the FF equivalent.

Still very impressive though
10-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
However, FF has more exposure latitude at high ISO than APS-C. When you need high ISO, people tend to push things a bit too much and underexpose (e.g., set the shutter speed too high because they need to freeze people's movements).
Do the denoise thing again on an underexposed high ISO image and it'll probably look quite a bit worse than the FF equivalent.

Still very impressive though
From my understanding, the K-5 has more DR than many FF systems.
One quick way to assess this is to pay attention to the highlight sections between both the ISO80 and ISO6400 samples. Note the little(if any) difference in translation/diffusion between those specific areas.

This falls right in line with the outstanding dynamic range capabilities of the K-5 in contrast to previous APS-C systems.

Likewise... the noise ceiling from the K-5 is far superior to any APS-C system also. And as can be seen in early sampling, the K-5 proves to have superior noise characteristics(low frequency or color blotching) than the FF D700. Granted... the D700 stands at the fringe of FF territory in terms of performance. However... it does nonetheless count as a mainstream system as it remains in production at this time.
10-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
wtf?

Anyways, for curiosity's sake, I'd like to see the originals with EXIF.
ORIGINALS:
ISO80 Sample(w/EXIF)
ISO6400 Sample(w/EXIF)

QuoteQuote:
The detail retention is pretty sweet, although the deblurring is misleading.
It can be, depending on what were trying to assess.
In this case, the deblurring and/or sharpening was applied too regain what was lost in the process.

QuoteQuote:
Wonder how well the K-r cleans up.
That would be interesting to see.
Do you know of any good ISO6400 K-r candidates going around?

10-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Ya that was a bummer...
I actually only found the original poster's name after the edit time on my original post ended(timed function).
I don't usually post un-credited images, but the excitement of my findings was just too much to bare

PS. I'm going to post a comment with the original link to help keep things in the straight and narrow.
yeah, there is always someone who wants to pee the in the Cheerios so to speak. Hope you know those sorta folks are just not worth the frustration. This is all about the fun after all and I enjoyed being able to see the shots!! And they way things are in my life these days, it's fun to see stuff to make me smile. And those shots sure made me hopeful about the k5 having a legit shot as something to let a lot of people take their photos to an even higher level.

10-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Well there goes my K-7 right in the closet for posperity
10-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

From my understanding, the K-5 has more DR than many FF systems.
More maybe at lower ISOs. I'd be really surprised if this is true at higher ISOs because the D700 has much bigger photosites...
10-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #27
Site Supporter

One pass(1 min. ave.) in Denoise.
I initially wrote(on dpreview) that it was 2mins. But after double checking, its more like 1 min or less.

TBH. I'd just create a preset and be done with it
So in essence, it would be completely effortless.

Whatever the case, the big deal here is the amount of relative ease it took to achieve these types of results. IMO. even the legacy NR software could work just as nicely.

PS. does anyone know who actually posted these images?
I'd like to address that properly in my post( to keep things on the level ).
That seems good to me.
I guess one can easily create such a preset within Denoise, right?
Nevertheless, I am actually very impressed with the comparative images.

JP
10-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Just NR no more no less.

I used Denoise no more no less...
Afterward I resized both images for web viewing and extracted Crops to help show the nitty gritty of it.

However, its the DNG /RAW 200/6400 files, that I'd really love to sink my teeth in
It will be most interesting to see how close we can persuade an ISO6400 file to look in contrast to a nominal one.
I was wondering when you'd want those RAW files!!

Yes
If you ever do have the RAW images, please make sure to post them here with and without NR.

Cheers,

JP
10-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Well there goes my K-7 right in the closet for posperity
Are you kidding Gulfer?

Keep the K7 for a second body! I will!

Cheers.

JP
10-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
More maybe at lower ISOs. I'd be really surprised if this is true at higher ISOs because the D700 has much bigger photosites...
That would seem likely.

However, if you conduct a small experiment with a D700 ISO6400 RAW sample from Imaging Resource, and compare it to the K-5 ISO6400 DNG/RAW sample published earlier, you can compare characteristics between both files in ACR(or equivalent).

I think you may end-up quite surprised at to what you will find between them.
I know I was.