Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Well there goes my K-7 right in the closet for posperity
I would be happy to store it in my closet for you.

10-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #32
Raylon

With high ISO that good, there really isn't a reason to use low ISO anymore...seriously, if you look close at the 6400 shot, the only thing you can really tell is the bokeh in the top left corner above the glass in the 100% crop, where it is a little bit off from the previous. And the only what to notice that is pixel peeping, just normal printing or viewing you would never know.

Is ISO 80 actually 100 pushed down using software or is it real 80?
10-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #33

This is just amazing. Not just the fact I am struggling to tell the difference between ISO 80 AND ISO 6400 but also the white balance and colour is superb. Hey you could have labelled the ISO 6400 as 80 and we still be just as impressed. Great choice of shot too.
10-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #34
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by schufosi777 Quote
Great choice of shot too.
Yea what is up with all the bar and beer shots? I swear 3/4ths of the new K-5 test shots are either a person or some type of beer. Just something that always is chosen as test subject for new cameras?

10-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not too proud to admit that I was one who scoffed at the notion that the K-5 would be a major leap forward in the IQ department. Now, I can only say that I am glad that I bought my K-7 at a good price, so that I won't take too much of a loss when I sell it and move up to the K-5, which I believe will serve me well for at least two generations of cameras. (We'll see what song I sing when the next upgrade is released.)

Truth to tell, I have been getting wonderful photos from my K-7, but the sensor does not appear to be in the same league as the K-5's.

Rob
10-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Yea what is up with all the bar and beer shots? I swear 3/4ths of the new K-5 test shots are either a person or some type of beer.
It is well known that the "beer goggles" effect produces images with much better IQ
10-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #37

I guess they are celebrating

Yea what is up with all the bar and beer shots? I swear 3/4ths of the new K-5 test shots are either a person or some type of beer. Just something that always is chosen as test subject for new cameras?
When I get my K5 I will be celebrating too. Its a moment to rejoice thats for sure.
10-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Looking at those two sample's.... all i can say is wow!

Excuse me while i pick my jaw up off the ground.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 10-16-2010 at 02:02 AM.
10-16-2010, 12:32 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Well after you drop $1,600+ on a new camera you probably need a drink.
10-16-2010, 12:46 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Oh my... That is sick ISO 6400
Want this camera so bad
10-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #41
Veteran Member

That was highly impressive.
10-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I can still remember when I first mentioned(here) that the K-5 would give FF a run for it's money...
That's impressive. No doubt about.

But it's more an example of what good denoisers can achieve. BTW, texture was removed from the top part of the glass which would probably have been required to avoid human skin turn plasticity, i.e., the NR was a bit too strong, a calibrated profile would have removed less.

And while I chime in in the general excitement, this does not give FF a run for it's money. E.g., it's not even close to a 5Dmk2 or D700. Where it will probably beat the two indeed is dynamic range below ISO 200. But that's not this "case study" is about.
10-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
But it's more an example of what good denoisers can achieve.
To an extent.
Though, the same results can be achieved with pretty much any NR software. So with this in mind, it becomes more of an example of how well(or easy) the file can be cleaned-up.

QuoteQuote:
BTW, texture was removed from the top part of the glass which would probably have been required to avoid human skin turn plasticity, i.e., the NR was a bit too strong, a calibrated profile would have removed less.
Here is a new sample accomplished with a little more care:

ISO6400 ANR:

ORIGINAL ISO80:

As can be seen here(though slightly overprocessed), there is 'virtually' no detail loss in the image whatsoever. Which serves as significant example as we can conclude that the ISO6400 file contains 'as much' image detail as the ISO80 image.

Which says alot about the quality of the files coming from this system.

QuoteQuote:
And while I chime in in the general excitement, this does not give FF a run for it's money. E.g., it's not even close to a 5Dmk2 or D700. Where it will probably beat the two indeed is dynamic range below ISO 200. But that's not this "case study" is about.
Assuming you mean detail retention, then I look forward to your samples and tests to back that up. - In the meantime, these are the results I've managed to compile toward the claim.

- Thanks for looking...

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-01-2011 at 10:46 AM.
10-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is all impressive, yes.

BUT!!! ... and Falconeye just posted this: "But it's more an example of what good denoisers can achieve."

Well, the last thing I need is to have to fiddle with NR software "again" at any image taken at ISO 1600-2500 or less!. (properly exposed ones, that is).
I can see the "need" for it at ISO 3200 and up though.
I am not a very good "denoiser", so would I have to "impose" to myself lower ISO limits?

Since I am just about to make the K5 my next major purchase, I just want to find out at which ISO limit do you guys think that NO NR would be necessary (with properly exposed shots)?

Can anyone answer this in an honest and unbiased fashion?

Cheers.

JP
10-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This is all impressive, yes.

BUT!!! ... and Falconeye just posted this: "But it's more an example of what good denoisers can achieve."
What if I told you, this can be done with relative ease in ACR? I think the mindset running here is where we may be overlooking the IQ relative to the conditions.

1. Achieved from a JPG image.
2. It can be made to look as good(of not) or identical to an ISO80 sample.

What we need now is DNG/RAW files from FF and the K-5 for toe-to-toe comparison.