Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-5, ISO80 vs ISO6400 Early Case Study(JPG)...

First off..

QuoteQuote:
I'd like to thank all of the great people who have been contributing in the taking and sharing of photo's from the new systems over the past few weeks!
I think by now most people recognize the severity of the K-5's low light capabilities(amongst other things). But often times it's quite easy to under-appreciate what we aree actually looking at.

So I've taken the liberty of using two average JPG samples... provided by the good folk here on PF and proceed to clean them up(very simple NR) too hang 'em out to dry for all to see. With that in mind... I'll just leave the images speak for themselves

I don't know why I used the term "Case Study", I guess it sounds more sophisticated than "comparo" or "contest". Anyways... here are two K-5 samples to show the differences in IQ an between an ISO80 and ISO6400 output.

What do you think?

ISO 80:

photo by: photozou

ISO 6400:

100% CROPS:

I can still remember when I first mentioned(here) that the K-5 would give FF a run for it's money... - which was met with responses that were nothing short of memorable

~ the end.

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-01-2011 at 10:45 AM.
10-15-2010, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
With these results... I think we can expect a substantial improvement in IQ with RAW samples as well. To which I will add, I look forward to some DNG RAW's so as to push the ISO6400 limits even further toward nominal output.
10-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That almost looks like you posted the same image twice!
10-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Definitely time to give my k7 to the kid.

10-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Forum Member

What the heck??? That's ISO 6400?
10-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very impressive, especially for JPG's.

Was the NR on the 6400 image via Topaz or LightRoom/ACR, or something else?
10-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi John - Just what did you do to the images when you "cleaned them up"?
I can't see a significant difference between the two case studies (ISO 80 and ISO 6400)

10-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
First of all..
I think by now most people recognize the severity of the K-5's low light capabilities(amongst other things). But often times it's quite easy to under-appreciate what we aree actually looking at.

So I've taken the liberty of using two average JPG samples... provided by the good folk here on PF and proceed to clean them up(very simple NR) too hang 'em out to dry for all to see. With that in mind... I'll just leave the images speak for themselves

I don't know why I used the term "Case Study", I guess it sounds more sophisticated than "comparo" or "contest". Anyways... here are two K-5 samples to show the differences in IQ an between an ISO80 and ISO6400 output.

What do you think?

ISO 80:

ISO 6400:

100% CROPS:

I can still remember when I first mentioned(here) that the K-5 would give FF a run for it's money... - which was met with responses that were nothing short of memorable

~ the end.
John,

Thanks for the samples.
Those comparison shots almost look like you cheated! ((Joke))

However, how much "simple" NR did you really do with the ISO 6400 shot?
I am quoting you here: "... and proceed to clean them up(very simple NR ...)"
The last thing I need is having to fix high ISO shots all the time, because there would be too much noise.
On the other hand, if you did use minimal NR (software based or in camera?), I say that this is fantastic, and indeed giving the competition a run for its money.

Thanks always for sharing!

JP

P.S.: I take it that if those images are from the folks at PF ... they have the camera in hand now?
10-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #9

Did you mean ISO 80 and ISO 100?
10-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I can't say anything about K-5's ISO preformance, it's almost perfect in these photos.
You just can not against it. Must buy if you get enough money.

Last edited by NightPorter; 10-15-2010 at 08:48 PM.
10-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
However, how much "simple" NR did you really do with the ISO 6400 shot?
One pass(1 min. ave.) in Denoise.
I initially wrote(on dpreview) that it was 2mins. But after double checking, its more like 1 min or less.

TBH. I'd just create a preset and be done with it
So in essence, it would be completely effortless.

Whatever the case, the big deal here is the amount of relative ease it took to achieve these types of results. IMO. even the legacy NR software could work just as nicely.

PS. does anyone know who actually posted these images?
I'd like to address that properly in my post( to keep things on the level ).
10-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I initially wrote(on dpreview) that it was 2mins. But after double checking, its more like 1 min or less.
Similar process with Noiseware.
Just default, plain vanilla Noise reduction. You can process a whole bunch of shots in batch.

With my K-7 , Noiseware default NR just didn't cut it on ISO 3200 onwards - I had to learn to work all the sliders left and right.

I think that level of "skilled NR" would only be needed on ISO 25600 - 51200 for the K-5, hard to imagine when I would use THAT.
10-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

TBH. I'd just create a preset and be done with it
So in essence, it would be completely effortless.

Whatever the case, the big deal here is the amount of relative ease it took to achieve these types of results. IMO. even the legacy NR software could work just as nicely.

PS. does anyone know who actually posted these images?
I'd like to address that properly in my post( to keep things on the level ).
Is that Topaz denoise?
10-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bobe416 Quote
Hi John - Just what did you do to the images when you "cleaned them up"?
I can't see a significant difference between the two case studies (ISO 80 and ISO 6400)
Just NR no more no less.

I used Denoise no more no less...
Afterward I resized both images for web viewing and extracted Crops to help show the nitty gritty of it.

However, its the DNG /RAW 200/6400 files, that I'd really love to sink my teeth in
It will be most interesting to see how close we can persuade an ISO6400 file to look in contrast to a nominal one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Is that Topaz denoise?
Yes
10-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

wow...JB....those shots just suck so bad!! hahahaha....nice job and for sharing. At least here nobody said you used someone else's images....sigh!!