Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps K-r will surpass K-5 (and K-x) in ISO performance, just as K-x surpassed K-7?

10-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The_Reasonable_Man Quote
Thanks for sharing these. Wondering whey the very noticable exposure differences, though. KX looks overexposed compared to K5.
K-x tends to overexpose. Depending on the lens, I use, I give it -1 or -1.7 EV compensation.
10-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Perhaps K-r will surpass K-5 (and K-x) in ISO performance, just as K-x surpassed K-7?
But how?

Sure the K-r does have some tweaks over K-x; like ISO now expanded to 25600; upped to 6 FPS; Safox IX 11 point man-adj, better HDR etc., but it is still the same basic sensor.

Also that 25600 number is only faking things, like the K-x 12800 user-option it's not the default, that is only 200-6400.

This begs the question of whether these little collective tweaks make K-r a significantly better camera than K-x, a viable upgrade; or turn out to be just minor window dressings in practice.

.R.
10-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The K-r adds battery choice, and focus point illumination. They were two big reasons not to buy the K-x for some reason. (neither i would give a crap about)

Not worth the dosh imo. I would easily recommend a K-x over a K-r unless they were whining about the battery or focus points, at which point id tell them to get a 1000d because we don't want em.

10-16-2010, 08:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Before all this speculation gets out of hand, and maybe Mr R_H starts to link these shots and declares triumphantly that Pentax is doomed yet again for 2010

Taken from TS, original post in the local forum.
K5 vs KX Pt II - ClubSNAP Photography Forums

EXIF data.

K5 - ClubSNAP Photography Forums - View Single Post - K5 vs KX Pt II

KX - ClubSNAP Photography Forums - View Single Post - K5 vs KX Pt II

Quite a few differences in the EXIF to make any conclusive result.

1. 1 stop exposure difference
2. High ISO NR seems to be different (but I don't know what the numbers mean)
3. Picture settings are also dissimilar :
Kx
---
Saturation Normal
Contrast Normal
Sharpness Med Soft

K5
---
Contrast High
Saturation Normal
Sharpness Hard

I'm not saying that Kx cannot be better than the K5 or Kr. But the current shots are not the one to one samples to show it.
Some chap has to either lock all the settings down as the same, or do RAW.

tsammyc, lol, I'm not posting this to put you down. Really appreciate the effort for the shots. Just trying to look over the info presented and understand if what we see is what it is.
10-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by happygui Quote
why not leave EXIF info? thanks anyway for sharing the pics.
The Exif info is there. Flickr's default was to hide it. I've unhidden it.
10-16-2010, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
tsammyc, lol, I'm not posting this to put you down. Really appreciate the effort for the shots. Just trying to look over the info presented and understand if what we see is what it is.
No worries. I'm just sorry that I mislabelled the file when I renamed it.

Both camera's are pretty much at the defaults that came out of the box and I've never tried adjusting the detailed settings. Someone mentioned that the KX tends to overexpose. I can get the shutter speed the same, but I really need a studio situation or to do it at night (I did it at 11am) to remove the effect of passing clouds.

I think the K5 is a bit better for high ISO shots and obviously much better in focusing in the dark. However, there isn't that much between the two sensors. I'm keeping both cameras until the Pentax EVIL replaces the KX.
10-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

1 stop exposure difference makes a huge difference at High-ISOs.
I was wondering why the K-X shots looked so "White".

Even my "Nasty, Noisy" ISO6400 K-7 shots can look a lot improved with +1 E/V, assuming the resulting shutter speed still allows hand-held.

10-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
The K-r adds battery choice, and focus point illumination. They were two big reasons not to buy the K-x for some reason. (neither i would give a crap about)

Not worth the dosh imo. I would easily recommend a K-x over a K-r unless they were whining about the battery or focus points, at which point id tell them to get a 1000d because we don't want em.
What about the 920K LCD display? I think that's quite important if you ask me.

Kind regards
.lars
10-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
K-x tends to overexpose. Depending on the lens, I use, I give it -1 or -1.7 EV compensation.
My K-X tends to underexpose, I always give my K-X plus 1/3 EV.
10-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote

And the new AF system.....
And the new hand-held HDR...
And higher FPS
And AF adjustment menu
And Noise Reduction level selectable by ISO sensitivity

No doubt you may not care the less about any of them, but all these have been the subject of earnest user requests in the past, including on this PF forum.
10-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Recercare Quote
What about the 920K LCD display? I think that's quite important if you ask me.
Glad you added that one in.
Yes I would benefit from the 3" x 920k too because it might then make Live View focusing (for macro work esp) a serious possibility.

The way outdated chunky resolution is a sick joke really - even viewing histograms in K-x look garbage.

.R.
10-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
My K-X tends to underexpose, I always give my K-X plus 1/3 EV.
I've heard of cases of underexposure, but overexposure with K-x is much more common. Something went awry with the sensor's calibration --but nothing that can't be easily fixed.
10-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #29
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
And the new hand-held HDR...
And higher FPS
Really?

I'd like to see some of those handheld HDR shots. I've tried them on my K-x, and if I'm careful, one out of ten comes out okay.

Can it accomplish this because of the faster FPS, or is there another factor as well?

I would really like that capability if it worked nice.
10-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Glad you added that one in.
Yes I would benefit from the 3" x 920k too because it might then make Live View focusing (for macro work esp) a serious possibility.

The way outdated chunky resolution is a sick joke really - even viewing histograms in K-x look garbage.

.R.
I was puzzled about the low res. lcd-display when the K-x was released. I didn't expect 920k but something like 460k. I mean, 230K is used on budget p&s.

Kind regards
.lars