Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can any K-5 owners (or K-7 if the bodies are so similar) tell me if the port for a cable release/intervalometer still takes a standard 2.5mm jack like the K200D/K20D?

10-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 is 2.5mm.
10-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
About the Kr, seems that there's no timer remote input jack.
Is there a way to make time-lapse photography using infra red ?
10-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Correct me if im wrong but I figured OP was refering to exposure accuracy with stop down (non-A) metering?

On the K20d is was pretty bad, being +/- an EV off at certian apertures, but I understand the K10d and the K7 did not have this problem (it was a focusing screen issue). So this stop down metering accuracy is the same as the K7 (and as I understand it, the K7 was not 100%, but much better than the k20d).

10-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Actually, that's not what I meant . On the K-x, with the button press not only did the aperture close down momentarily, but the mirror flipped up as well momentarily (the explanation floated here was that the same motor was being used for both), so I was wondering if that was still the case.
That is a strange way to do it.
It has never been like what you described on my K100, K7, K5.

Anyone with a Kx can confirm this?
10-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
K7 is 2.5mm.
Thanks!
10-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by darioStClair Quote
About the Kr, seems that there's no timer remote input jack.
Is there a way to make time-lapse photography using infra red ?
As far as I know the K-r has, unlike the K-x, a built-in intervalometer that you can access through the menu.

I have not heard of any IR remotes with interval shooting capability, I'm thinking of building one myself.
10-19-2010, 03:29 AM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kari Quote
As far as I know the K-r has, unlike the K-x, a built-in intervalometer that you can access through the menu.

I have not heard of any IR remotes with interval shooting capability, I'm thinking of building one myself.
many thanks for infos. indeed, seems that it is not very hard/expensive to build one
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/94436-inf...-required.html
though it's strange that kind of accessories doesn't exist

10-19-2010, 03:55 AM   #39
Forum Member

Does anyone know whether Nikon D300/700 could use focus point rather than center one when using a MF glass?
10-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think the K-r has a replaceable screen, but don't quote me on that. You can check the camera database/comparison.
I checked and it's "not replaceable". Hopefully just like K100D and K200D where it actually can be swapped easily. Can anyone confirm if the screen is still easily accessible through the mount?

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Correct me if im wrong but I figured OP was refering to exposure accuracy with stop down (non-A) metering?
I wanted to know about stopdown accuracy but also Av metering and generally if there is anything else that is different regarding usage of manual glass.
10-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-5 uses the K-7 body, so no changes there. And since both cameras still use the same mount, there won't be any improvements for manual lenses. I don't think the K-r has a replaceable screen, but don't quote me on that. You can check the camera database/comparison.
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote

On the K20d is was pretty bad, being +/- an EV off at certian apertures, but I understand the K10d and the K7 did not have this problem (it was a focusing screen issue). So this stop down metering accuracy is the same as the K7 (and as I understand it, the K7 was not 100%, but much better than the k20d).
Manual focusing is pretty much limited by the size of the viewfinder--which is limited by the size of the sensor--and the focusing screen. There probably won't be any improvements here, which is what I believe Adam was referring to.

Metering, on the other hand, ought to have improved, although I'd be surprised if it has. My GX10 (K10D equivalent) doesn't meter reliably with pre-A glass. I think the question is whether the K-5 or K-r will meter reliably (e.g., adjust shutter speed proportionally to changes in aperture), which previous bodies have not done.

For someone who is interested in testing this, take a pre-A lens, or an A, F or FA lens set to apertures other than A, and use Av mode in a controlled and constant lighting environment; for each stop of adjustment on the aperture ring, the shutter speed should double or halve.
10-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #42
Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
... My GX10 (K10D equivalent) doesn't meter reliably with pre-A glass. I think the question is whether the K-5 or K-r will meter reliably (e.g., adjust shutter speed proportionally to changes in aperture), which previous bodies have not done. ...
It's not quite this simple. The stop-down metering on the *ist-D series worked well with pre-A lenses, metering within within a half stop at most apertures. The problems began with the K10D, but it turns out that the problem was caused by the new focusing screen. Installing a focusing screen from the *ist-D series in a K10D or K20D results in the same metering performance as we had with the *ist-D. (The size of the screens is the same.) The LL-60 is a popular choice because it has the "rule-of-thirds" gridlines. I also find that it is easier to focus manually using the older screens. The newer screens appear brighter, but that is their only real advantage.

Dan
10-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
That is a strange way to do it.
It has never been like what you described on my K100, K7, K5.

Anyone with a Kx can confirm this?
See here (among other places):
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/83829-1-month-expe...x-white-7.html
10-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
One good news for catch-in focus users. I had a quick 5min try out of this, and the faster AF does mean that even catch-in focus is faster.
Interesting. So, by mounting a black & white pattern on a ventilator or anything which is turning and pull up the rotation speed, we should be able to determine some limit, some max. rotation speed until which the AF still beeps. And compare this limit with the K-7...
10-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Yes, the K-r has a built-in intervalometer. Good to 999 frames, (just like the K-5 I believe.)

Sorry I have been SO busy I haven't had much time to even look at my K-r, let alone test it! I have some M42 glass (135/2.5, 55/1.8, 35/3.5) and some M glass (50/1.7 and 28/2.8) that I will test in the next week or so.