Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian
ovim's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tre, Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,227
K-5 and K-R with manual lenses, any improvements?

I've been reading all these new threads about K-R and K-5 and so far havent seen any reports on how they handle legacy glass.

I think many of us manual focus users would like to hear about how accurate is stopdown metering. And also if there's any improvement on Av mode with M42 lenses when compared to older bodies.

How about the viewfinders, is there any improvements there? Are the focusing screens still easily replacable?

10-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian
ovim's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tre, Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,227
Original Poster
Come on! Some of you early adopters must have some manual lenses too.
10-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
Come on! Some of you early adopters must have some manual lenses too.
I guess we're having so much fun now with our AF lenses that manual focus lenses are the last thing on our minds... Seriously, I'm glad I junked a lot of old legacy lenses because the new K-5 will quickly show up the resolution shortcomings of mediocre lenses.
10-17-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 174
i am also very interestet about some results.....


10-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #5
Senior Member
stormcloud's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 235
isn't the metering one of the few thigns taken unchanged from the k7? along with the same viewfinder would imagine manual lens are pretty much identical but i dont have a k5 so who knows
10-17-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian
ovim's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tre, Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,227
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
isn't the metering one of the few thigns taken unchanged from the k7? along with the same viewfinder would imagine manual lens are pretty much identical but i dont have a k5 so who knows
It'd be nice if someone could verify this. And also it would be nice to hear about K-R.
10-17-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
It'd be nice if someone could verify this. And also it would be nice to hear about K-R.
I bet the early adopters are too excited about the high ISO capabilities and much much improved AF to bother testing the MF improvements

I would do the same had I have one of those right now
10-17-2010, 02:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
I only have a couple of A lenses w/ me, don't have any non-A lenses. You tell me what you want to test, I can do it for you.

Just now I tested K5 w/ A50/1.2 in M mode, at different aperture settings from wide open all the way to fully closed down, used green button to do metering, results came out about the same as if using Av mode, pretty much spot on all the way. But I know A lenses are different from non-A lenses, hard to say it'd be the same w/ non-A lenses.

10-17-2010, 02:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I only have a couple of A lenses w/ me, don't have any non-A lenses. You tell me what you want to test, I can do it for you.

Just now I tested K5 w/ A50/1.2 in M mode, at different aperture settings from wide open all the way to fully closed down, used green button to do metering, results came out about the same as if using Av mode, pretty much spot on all the way. But I know A lenses are different from non-A lenses, hard to say it'd be the same w/ non-A lenses.
Frank, would you have some m42 lenses laying around to test the metering?
10-17-2010, 03:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Frank, would you have some m42 lenses laying around to test the metering?
No, I've sold most of my manual lenses, only one A50/1.2 left. The other one is an A35/2 which I borrowed for testing against the DA35/2.4.
10-17-2010, 04:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
Most of the manual stuff I have I got "low-priced" from E-Bay.
They worked on the K100D, still OK on the K-7.
After seeing the K-5 resolution, I'm afraid I'm going to have to retire almost all of them.

Those who have VERY good old manual lenses could still cut it on the K-5.
For most of the average "OK" lenses, it will not be worth the effort on the K-5.
10-17-2010, 04:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Most of the manual stuff I have I got "low-priced" from E-Bay.
They worked on the K100D, still OK on the K-7.
After seeing the K-5 resolution, I'm afraid I'm going to have to retire almost all of them.

Those who have VERY good old manual lenses could still cut it on the K-5.
For most of the average "OK" lenses, it will not be worth the effort on the K-5.
+1 to this...
I'll definitely be junking all the manual focus lenses that I have eventually... shot with the few that I have and they just cannot make it in both resolution and contrast... With AF now a quantum leap ahead in Pentax terms, there's just little reason to play with old manual focus lenses, and I'm not getting any younger. I'm not the sentimental type, if something is outmoded, it's just time to let it go...
10-17-2010, 04:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Most of the manual stuff I have I got "low-priced" from E-Bay.
They worked on the K100D, still OK on the K-7.
After seeing the K-5 resolution, I'm afraid I'm going to have to retire almost all of them.

Those who have VERY good old manual lenses could still cut it on the K-5.
For most of the average "OK" lenses, it will not be worth the effort on the K-5.
Hmm then I'll have my upcoming K5 dedicated to AF lenses in that case. My lens collection is mainly composed of 95% MF lenses though they are doing very fine on my K10D.
10-17-2010, 04:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
+1 to this...
I'll definitely be junking all the manual focus lenses that I have eventually... shot with the few that I have and they just cannot make it in both resolution and contrast... With AF now a quantum leap ahead in Pentax terms, there's just little reason to play with old manual focus lenses. I'm not the sentimental type, if something is outmoded, it's just time to let it go...
Let me know when you're about to get rid of them I'll be happy to help giving them a new home We're not too far away, I'm in Vietnam right now
10-17-2010, 05:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Let me know when you're about to get rid of them I'll be happy to help giving them a new home We're not too far away, I'm in Vietnam right now
I think you already have plenty of lenses in you big collection... you definitely don't need any of my rejects.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k-r, k5, lenses, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manual Metering on Pentax DSLRs with Manual and Automatic Lenses Adam Pentax DSLR and Camera Articles 20 01-06-2016 03:38 AM
Pentax Km and old manual lenses: SMC Takumars & Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses Kendrick Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 04-14-2010 03:23 AM
K7 and Manual Lenses IainG Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 02-13-2010 04:49 AM
Help with manual lenses on K-x stonedes Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 02-08-2010 10:31 AM
Manual lenses? Seltzer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 05-29-2008 08:17 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top