Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I want a shoot out between a K20D and a K-5

Please, please, please

Can't be bothered waiting for the 'official' reviews when we have the skills here
I'm really interested in a raw detail @ low ISOs, say 100 to 400. I still have a feeling a feeling that the Samsung sensor will hold its own down there despite the missing 2 million pixels.
Then show me how much the K-5 steadily pulls away in image quality from ISO 800 upwards, again shoot in Raw but use LR 3 to convert to jpegs.
Whats the viewfinder like? is it the shutter quiet? Finally, anyone got a K-5 and a Katzeye? , how does it meter?

10-16-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

HAHA! we might guess the outcome!

I suspect that when the day comes where I unbox my K-5, it would leap from the box and run circles around my K20D.
Which is why I will hide my K20D prior to unpacking the K-5.
Wouldn't want to hurt the old girls feelings
10-16-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the Japanese on the whole make better cars than the Koreans... same story between the two sensors...
10-16-2010, 04:22 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I think the Japanese on the whole make better cars than the Koreans... same story between the two sensors...
To bad Germans didn't make sensors

10-16-2010, 04:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
Lets be glad that American's dont make sensors!
10-16-2010, 05:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Americans like Kodak?

Last edited by Kunzite; 10-16-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Sorry... Dalsa are from Canada
10-16-2010, 05:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's see how the K-5 competes against:

The K10D sensor at ISO100
The K20D at IS0100-400
The K-x at 3200-6400

I'm guessing it won't exactly destroy these cameras at this ISO range, but if it competes well with them in each area the nice thing is we'll have the first camera in a while where you don't have to sacrifice one thing to get another.

10-16-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Finally, anyone got a K-5 and a Katzeye? , how does it meter?
I talked to Rachael a couple times last month about the K-5 screens and their availability. She said they won't list them until they are ready for quantity sales...no pre-orders. I will get an email the first day they are ready and will post it.
10-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I talked to Rachael a couple times last month about the K-5 screens and their availability. She said they won't list them until they are ready for quantity sales...no pre-orders. I will get an email the first day they are ready and will post it.
Must be slightly different from the K-7 one then or else they are being cautious and testing first before allowing them out into the wild
Good to know anyway. Thanks,

R
10-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
Ah....the Germans do...the very best.

But they are so expensive they are not used for commercial cameras - mainly scientific and laboratory equipment, and some high-end professional field equipment.

In my workplace, there's a Half Million dollar Non-Destructive tester which, among other things uses a fantastic optical sensor, from Carl Zeiss, I believe.
10-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
It seems strange to say this. The K20D came out with an almost class leading sensor, (in many ways it was). Better Low ISO than the Sony equivalent, more MP. And its now very old. Not to mention it was Samsungs very first attempt at an APS-C sensor. I expect Pentax to use them again in future if they come out with an excellent sensor.
10-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
It seems strange to say this. The K20D came out with an almost class leading sensor, (in many ways it was). Better Low ISO than the Sony equivalent, more MP. And its now very old. Not to mention it was Samsungs very first attempt at an APS-C sensor. I expect Pentax to use them again in future if they come out with an excellent sensor.
I completely agree, but I think it is unlikely. It really seems to me that high-iso matters more on paper and to the average buyer than clean low-iso. I do believe that top quality ISO 100 is most important, but in marketing terms it seems that a functional 6400 sells more camera.

It's not so bad, though, because this new Sony sensor looks to have both great low ISO and great ultra-high ISO!

I promised myself I would wait for the K-3... this is the mantra which keeps me sane.
10-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
This whole crappy Samsung sensor thing has been blown totally out of proportion in the last few months or since the K-X came out anyway. Up to then we were all happy campers extolling the virtues of the sensor, its a fickle thing this photography business
And the Samsung was class leading when it came out, and at lower ISO I still have to be convinced it has been blown away by any of the newer sensors.
Hence my original question
10-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'll take the K20D IQ over the K-x from ISO 100-1600.

The K100D Super was a beauty. The K20D knocked the ball out of the park. The K-x is an amazing camera for an amazing price. Now it looks like Pentax has done it again, twice. I'm not sure I'll buy though, I'm pretty happy with the K20 and K-x.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-16-2010 at 04:23 PM.
10-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote

It's not so bad, though, because this new Sony sensor looks to have both great low ISO and great ultra-high ISO!

I promised myself I would wait for the K-3... this is the mantra which keeps me sane.
im also do the same ....rumor says , K-3 has all the ability combination from Kx and K-5 but with no video .. isnt that great