Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
I think its time for my K20D to head to ebay!
ALL RIGHT!!! I knew it! Super-cheap K20D's (and some K7s), are going to be everywhere. I love it.
I want a half dozen please... but I want you to really lose money.

10-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
You guys are viewing on color calibrated monitors, right?

To my eyes (on a calibrated HP ZR24 IPS monitor), the K20D looks more saturated, but also the white on the K20D shirt is actually white. The K5 shirt is slightly yellowish. Do you have AWB on? And is the shirt actually pure white or yellowish? (also gets confusing because if you look at it under an incandescent source or warm fluorescent, it'll look yellowish)
Colors are complicated....
I think the K20D (and yes I have a calibrated monitor although I have 60 year old eyes) white actually has some blue in it. When I select a white balance in aperture (NOT done to the images you see) to the K20D picture - eye dropper tool on the shirt, it shifts it warmer. There is still a "Contrast" difference and a shift in the reds. But you are right. Colors are complicated. What I see on my monitor (and verified by my wife who has better color sense than I do) the K-5 picture was far more pleasing (isn't that unscientific). And she is never wrong.
10-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #33
Site Supporter

I love my K20D, but I just had a K-5 demonstrated to me this afternoon. I just can't afford the price of being an early adopter, but that's the only thing keeping me from moving up. I've even forgiven Pentax for not putting a physical SR switch on it. Canadian dollar is nearly at parity, Prodigital are you listening?
10-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll probably get a K-5 but i am not going to pay the early adopter tax.

10-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
I'll probably get a K-5 but i am not going to pay the early adopter tax.
I skipped the early adopter tax on all three Pentax bodies that I bought new in the past 4 years, but I decided to suck it up for this one. Maybe I'll feel differently when the reality of spending almost $1500 on a body sinks in, but for now I'm enjoying my new toy
10-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
I think the K20D (and yes I have a calibrated monitor although I have 60 year old eyes) white actually has some blue in it. When I select a white balance in aperture (NOT done to the images you see) to the K20D picture - eye dropper tool on the shirt, it shifts it warmer. There is still a "Contrast" difference and a shift in the reds.
I'd agree w/ the slight blue too...I saw it a bit as well but I thought that was the K20D doing white balance. The K20D is definitely oversaturating the reds in that photo and probably the item on the sofa...and it looks more contrasty too.

I like the K5 image better too, but I prefer warmer colors, including lenses :-) Most people will pick warmer colors because indoors, we're used to seeing warm light sources (usually incandescents but they're balancing fluorescents so they're warmer now because people hated the "cold"=blueish light they produced).

Just wanted to mention that you might be comparing AWB if you're not running a grey card to calibrate the images and take the light source out of the equation...
10-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #37

I went from a K100D to a K20D and I really don't like my K20.

Ergonomics feel wrong and I'm not getting as nice pics as I was with the K100. Nothing I can point of definitively, it's just a feeling.

It feels like the K20D is always getting in the way of taking pictures, whereas the K100D was less intrusive.

Hopefully the K5 fixes things.

AF on the K20D was always good enough for me (well, when it wasn't backfocusing horribly) so if this is even better in the K5 I'll be pretty happy.

I'll wait for it to hit Prodigital. If it doesn't within the next two weeks, I'll just get it at the camera store.

Anyone want a K20D with fewer than 2000 actuations? (the K100D had over 9000 and I'd owned it less time than the K20D)
10-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Have you tested the DR of the K5 against K20D? like a landscape shot with a bright background

10-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by 65535 Quote
I went from a K100D to a K20D and I really don't like my K20.

Ergonomics feel wrong and I'm not getting as nice pics as I was with the K100. Nothing I can point of definitively, it's just a feeling.

It feels like the K20D is always getting in the way of taking pictures, whereas the K100D was less intrusive.

Hopefully the K5 fixes things.

AF on the K20D was always good enough for me (well, when it wasn't backfocusing horribly) so if this is even better in the K5 I'll be pretty happy.

I'll wait for it to hit Prodigital. If it doesn't within the next two weeks, I'll just get it at the camera store.

Anyone want a K20D with fewer than 2000 actuations? (the K100D had over 9000 and I'd owned it less time than the K20D)
I am with you on this...I went from k100d to k10d, the ergonomics of the later feels wrong for me as well (grip and button placement).

And straight out of the camera, the k100d seems to give better jpeg colors when the AWB is right.
10-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
I think the K20D (and yes I have a calibrated monitor although I have 60 year old eyes) white actually has some blue in it. When I select a white balance in aperture (NOT done to the images you see) to the K20D picture - eye dropper tool on the shirt, it shifts it warmer. There is still a "Contrast" difference and a shift in the reds. But you are right. Colors are complicated. What I see on my monitor (and verified by my wife who has better color sense than I do) the K-5 picture was far more pleasing (isn't that unscientific). And she is never wrong.
thanks for sharing the comparison shots.

From my monitor, i would think that the richer color tones (of the skin) and a smoother transition of the k-5 makes the paler looking k20 looks more contrasty.

But then, the k-5 is warmer and this may be a contributing factor to a richer tone.
10-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #41

Thanks JR (?Dallas) Forman for whetting my appetite even further!
Every day I look at the UK shopping websites wondering if the 'Preorder' will change to 'In stock' so I can order the camera!
Happy snapping.
10-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #42
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by badbrother Quote
I am with you on this...I went from k100d to k10d, the ergonomics of the later feels wrong for me as well (grip and button placement).

And straight out of the camera, the k100d seems to give better jpeg colors when the AWB is right.
I'm of a different mind when it came for me to move from the K100D to the K10D and K20D. It was a step in the right direction with regards to ergonomics and ease of use, never intrusive (hardly much bigger or heavier IMO) and seemed to give pleasing results as consistently as the K100D. Nevertheless I do have a soft spot for the old Sony 6Mp CCD sensor (such brilliant colours) that I'm eager to see the same out of the K-5.
10-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #43
Site Supporter

There is a deep purple petunia variety in the flowerpots on the deck that the K20D just could not replicate. This will be my test of the K-5.
10-21-2010, 01:53 AM   #44
Pentaxian

to my eyes and calibrated monitor the k-5 shot looks very yellowy. The k20d is much nicer but also not neutral, probably closer to it though.
10-21-2010, 04:26 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by badbrother Quote
But then, the k-5 is warmer and this may be a contributing factor to a richer tone.
Some folks have said the new Sony sensor is cooler in rendition...unless you mean the AWB which I agree with. Seems to render images much warmer instead of the cooler blue of the K20D which most people dislike.