Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
More Color Rendition samples

Sorry about the subject. I was the only one on hand. Please note that there is a different lens used in the picts but otherwise same settings, light, etc.

K-5

K20D

Both cameras were on an auto white balance setting and they resulted in different color temps in the subsequent shot but to make both the same temp would have resulted in strange differences because of the way they capture the color range.

IMHO the K-5 is less contrasty (if that is a word). Ran both by my wife (she not knowing which was which) and picked the K-5 as the far superior shot. In fact she was surprised at the degree of difference.

Last edited by jrforman; 10-16-2010 at 01:34 PM.
10-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #17
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why does the exif say k5 in both instances? Different lens and white balance and we're to judge colour rendition?
10-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #18
MCR
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
More Color Rendition samples
Great... thx for sharing but this photos was made by K-5 (exifs)....
10-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
I am unsure that these images are as helpful as you might see them, we do not know if its more pink or red?
The red in the K20D is over-saturated and shifted to orange tones slightly. When I look at a curves view of the two picts in just the red channel, the K20D red curve spikes at the same location but throws more data to the right side (making it easier to blow out reds in the K20D. God I hope that makes sense - its hard for me to describe what I see when I compare it to the original object. So let me summarize. K20D good, K-5 GOOD.

jrf

10-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Why does the exif say k5 in both instances? Different lens and white balance and we're to judge colour rendition?
Because I was an idiot and put the same picture up twice. Now corrected. Thank god this isn't my day job.

jrf
10-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #21
MCR
Inactive Account

Now corrected. Thank god this isn't my day job.
Very impressive! Thx...
10-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Sorry about the subject. I was the only one on hand. Please note that there is a different lens used in the picts but otherwise same settings, light, etc.

K-5

K20D

Both cameras were on an auto white balance setting and they resulted in different color temps in the subsequent shot but to make both the same temp would have resulted in strange differences because of the way they capture the color range.

IMHO the K-5 is less contrasty (if that is a word). Ran both by my wife (she not knowing which was which) and picked the K-5 as the far superior shot. In fact she was surprised at the degree of difference.
She was!, I am! Yeah the K-5 is really something. And I do not think its just the AWB, although it does have something to do with it.

To get great skintones from the K20 I have to do a whole lot of things to the pic to get it how I like. This is much more K10ish.

10-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #23
raz

Thanks jrforman

For me both look good, maybe the K-5 has a warmer tone which is more pleasing.

But I'm more interested in the sharpness at low iso, can you post some crops from this portrait set and also from the "still life" you made earlier ?

Thanks
10-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
Thanks jrforman

For me both look good, maybe the K-5 has a warmer tone which is more pleasing.

But I'm more interested in the sharpness at low iso, can you post some crops from this portrait set and also from the "still life" you made earlier ?

Thanks
Here are the 100% crops of the K-5. Not sure if this is what you want - note that the red object is at f2.8 so it will be a little soft from that. I just realized how dirty my glasses were...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
10-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #25

Original Poster
One other color rendition example

Here is another link which shows the color capture of the K-5 - The larger size is available here too.

Pentax K-5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
10-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You guys are viewing on color calibrated monitors, right?

To my eyes (on a calibrated HP ZR24 IPS monitor), the K20D looks more saturated, but also the white on the K20D shirt is actually white. The K5 shirt is slightly yellowish. Do you have AWB on? And is the shirt actually pure white or yellowish? (also gets confusing because if you look at it under an incandescent source or warm fluorescent, it'll look yellowish)
Colors are complicated....

Most sensors have problems w/ the red channel, including the Sony sensor on the K10D...
10-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #27
raz

Thanks, yes the red object looks a little soft but that may be the lens as you said. The glasses photo looks good, with + sharpness in camera I thing images will be very sharp ! This was my main concern, going from the K100D to K-5 , if I lose sharpness because of the sensor/lens, but seeing the sample like you post or the ones from pentax website give me great hope I will still have sharp images with my future K-5

The photo with the kids roller-skating - very nice. Did you tried AF-C with these kind of subjects ?
10-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
The photo with the kids roller-skating - very nice. Did you tried AF-C with these kind of subjects ?
Yep. continuous high speed with AF-C, focus driven AF.
10-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think its time for my K20D to head to ebay!
10-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #30
Veteran Member

First of all, the K20D is good.
However, looking at the micro-detail of the fine wrinkles on the person's face, the fine stubble on the person's chin, there's no contest.
The K20D has been outclassed.......now where is my K-5 order ?