Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 04:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you sure your K-5 isn't set up to zoom in slightly during playback? If zoomed in the K-7 doesn't rotate the image either...

Wim

10-18-2010, 04:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Are you sure your K-5 isn't set up to zoom in slightly during playback? If zoomed in the K-7 doesn't rotate the image either...

Wim
No, I thought of that too last night, but that doesn't appear to be the issue. I'm starting to think maybe they took the feature away? (even though that seems like a weird thing to do)

You're right though, the K7 won't rotate during playback if you're zoomed in at all.
11-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I also liked this feature on the k-7. It seemes it's indeed not available on the k-5. No big deal, but it was useful when I wanted to show a picture to someone in front of me, I just had to turn the camera to the other person upside down
11-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #19

This is the feature I first noticed and missed most when I first collected my K5 vs K7 . but have not noticed the second one you mentioned with regards to SR. I hope Pentax will put it back in the next firmware release.

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
So I've been playing around with my K5 this afternoon and noticed two strange things and I'm not sure if they are specific to my K5 or all K5s.

The first thing is that during playback, when you are viewing a vertical image and turn the body 90 degrees, the image doesn't flip automatically. On the K7 when you view a image taken in the portrait orientation and turn the body vertical, the image rotates too such that it fills up the screen. For some reason that's not happening on my K5.

The second strange thing I noticed is that when you half-press the shutter to activate the SR system, if you release the shutter without taking a picture, the SR-icon remains lit up for a while. On my K7, it would immediately go away if you release the half-press of the shutter. I didn't know if this meant the SR is still active for some time after (which might be a good thing) or if there was an issue with the camera body itself (which would be a bad thing).

Anyway, if anyone else who has a K5 wouldn't mind checking to see if this is happening on their K5 as well, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

11-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #20

The same thing happens with my K-x. I'll take a portrait orientation picture, and I can't get it to flip when I view it in playback. I turn the camera all around upside down, to the side, every which way. It doesn't want to turn. :\
11-22-2010, 06:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The first thing is that during playback, when you are viewing a vertical image and turn the body 90 degrees, the image doesn't flip automatically. On the K7 when you view a image taken in the portrait orientation and turn the body vertical, the image rotates too such that it fills up the screen. For some reason that's not happening on my K5.
Confirmed.

The second strange thing I noticed is that when you half-press the shutter to activate the SR system, if you release the shutter without taking a picture, the SR-icon remains lit up for a while. On my K7, it would immediately go away if you release the half-press of the shutter. I didn't know if this meant the SR is still active for some time after (which might be a good thing) or if there was an issue with the camera body itself (which would be a bad thing).
I believe that on K-5 SR is activated as long as exposure metering is on and it is done on purpose. On K-5 you can activate SR in advance and then fire off a few shots without the need to wait for SR activation.
11-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first thing is that during playback, when you are viewing a vertical image and turn the body 90 degrees, the image doesn't flip automatically.
Yep... but when you call up the shot in lightroom it is in portrait, NOT landscape, mode. You no longer need to rotate the image 90 degrees before pp can begin.

Nice touch. I like...

Cheers...

11-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I believe that on K-5 SR is activated as long as exposure metering is on and it is done on purpose. On K-5 you can activate SR in advance and then fire off a few shots without the need to wait for SR activation.
Actually, the SR icon will only stay (or come back) if you hold the camera relatively steady.
11-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Actually, the SR icon will only stay (or come back) if you hold the camera relatively steady.
Do you confirm in this way it stays active as long as the exposure?
Tried one and had the impression it stays active for a very short time. But perhaps I moved the camera.
11-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Yep... but when you call up the shot in lightroom it is in portrait, NOT landscape, mode. You no longer need to rotate the image 90 degrees before pp can begin.

Nice touch. I like...

Cheers...
All the Pentax cameras have the ability to save the proper rotation to the file so that it displays the right orientation once importarted. All the Pentax cameras I've had, k10 through k-5, all have that. It's in the custom functions, just enable Save Image Rotation.

We're talking about how it displays on the back of the camera. I really like the way the K-7 did it, and am pretty bummed that the K-5 doesn't have something that would seem to be a pretty easy feature to enable. I also see how some people would not prefer it. I think it should come back in a firmware update with all three options of how you want it to deal with image rotation. I hope they bring it back.
11-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
All the Pentax cameras have the ability to save the proper rotation to the file so that it displays the right orientation once importarted. All the Pentax cameras I've had, k10 through k-5, all have that. It's in the custom functions, just enable Save Image Rotation.

We're talking about how it displays on the back of the camera. I really like the way the K-7 did it, and am pretty bummed that the K-5 doesn't have something that would seem to be a pretty easy feature to enable. I also see how some people would not prefer it. I think it should come back in a firmware update with all three options of how you want it to deal with image rotation. I hope they bring it back.
Exactly. I really liked the way to the K-7 handled it, but from reading this and other threads I do understand some people prefer the way the K-5 does it. The ability to control this option via a custom menu item would be ideal.
11-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alessandro63 Quote
Do you confirm in this way it stays active as long as the exposure?
Tried one and had the impression it stays active for a very short time. But perhaps I moved the camera.
Yes, as long as the exposure time but you have to half-press the shutter the first time you're using the camera.

I was a bit puzzled at first because I didn't understand why sometimes the hand icon would disappear and sometimes stay. But now I can reproduce it very easily, if I move, it's gone, if I don't move, it comes back. BTW panning works more or less.