Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Two K5 quirks I noticed, any other K5 owners notice these?

So I've been playing around with my K5 this afternoon and noticed two strange things and I'm not sure if they are specific to my K5 or all K5s.

The first thing is that during playback, when you are viewing a vertical image and turn the body 90 degrees, the image doesn't flip automatically. On the K7 when you view a image taken in the portrait orientation and turn the body vertical, the image rotates too such that it fills up the screen. For some reason that's not happening on my K5.

The second strange thing I noticed is that when you half-press the shutter to activate the SR system, if you release the shutter without taking a picture, the SR-icon remains lit up for a while. On my K7, it would immediately go away if you release the half-press of the shutter. I didn't know if this meant the SR is still active for some time after (which might be a good thing) or if there was an issue with the camera body itself (which would be a bad thing).

Anyway, if anyone else who has a K5 wouldn't mind checking to see if this is happening on their K5 as well, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

10-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The second strange thing I noticed is that when you half-press the shutter to activate the SR system, if you release the shutter without taking a picture, the SR-icon remains lit up for a while.
That's a feature.
10-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #3

The second strange thing I noticed is that when you half-press the shutter to activate the SR system, if you release the shutter without taking a picture, the SR-icon remains lit up for a while. On my K7, it would immediately go away if you release the half-press of the shutter. I didn't know if this meant the SR is still active for some time after (which might be a good thing) or if there was an issue with the camera body itself (which would be a bad thing).
This seems to be a feature, not a bug. Was already posted in some preview.
10-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
That's a feature.
QuoteOriginally posted by Xatnep_CJ Quote
This seems to be a feature, not a bug. Was already posted in some preview.
Makes sense, and I was hoping it was a feature as it would be nice to be able to activate the SR so it is ready without keeping your finger on the shutter button.

Thanks for letting me know

10-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first thing is that during playback, when you are viewing a vertical image and turn the body 90 degrees, the image doesn't flip automatically. On the K7 when you view a image taken in the portrait orientation and turn the body vertical, the image rotates too such that it fills up the screen. For some reason that's not happening on my K5.

Thanks.
Mine rotates (as does the info screen). Did you change the Menu default for remembering rotation info? I did.
10-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Mine rotates (as does the info screen). Did you change the Menu default for remembering rotation info? I did.
If you mean the "Auto Image Rotation" check box on the blue "Playback-1" menu, then I do have it checked. Also, Custom Menu #23 - "Savings Rotations Info" is set to "On". Is that what you meant or is there something else I need to check.

FWIW, my info screen rotates properly and the images are recorded with the proper orientation, so I assume the orientation sensor is working fine. It's just when reviewing images I can't get the images to rotate by rotating the camera body itself.

Last edited by dgaies; 10-16-2010 at 01:19 PM.
10-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

If you mean the "Auto Image Rotation" check box on the blue "Playback-1" menu, then I do have it checked. Also, Custom Menu #23 - "Savings Rotations Info" is set to "On". Is that what you meant or is there something else I need to check.

FWIW, my info screen rotates properly and the images are recorded with the proper orientation, so I assume the orientation sensor is working fine. It's just when reviewing images I can't get the images to rotate by rotating the camera body itself.
Uh...yes,thats it. I did not look before typing the name.
When I put a check in the box for "Auto Image Rotation" it rotates the displayed pics taken in portrait. I just un-checked it and the portrait shots did not rotate on the LCD during review while the camera is held in normal landscape mode.

EDIT - When you shoot in portrait, does checking/unchecking the box do ANYTHING when you display?
10-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Uh...yes,thats it. I did not look before typing the name.
When I put a check in the box for "Auto Image Rotation" it rotates the displayed pics taken in portrait. I just un-checked it and the portrait shots did not rotate on the LCD during review while the camera is held in normal landscape mode.

EDIT - When you shoot in portrait, does checking/unchecking the box do ANYTHING when you display?
Unchecking the box makes it so the image take up the whole screen, regardless of camera orientation. Checking the box makes it so that a portrait image will have the black bars on the sides if I am holding the camera in landscape mode during playback. The issue is that at this point I should be able to rotate the body 90 degrees and the picture should rotate as well to fill up the screen (like the info screen does). But for some reason, that's not happening on my K5 properly.

Last edited by dgaies; 10-16-2010 at 01:43 PM.
10-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Unchecking the box makes it so the image take up the whole screen, regardless of camera orientation. Checking the box makes it so that a portrait image will have the black bars on the sides if I am holding the camera in landscape mode during playback. The issue is that at this point I should be able to rotate the body 90 degrees and the picture should rotate as well to fill up the screen (like the info screen does). But for some reason, that's not happening on my K5 properly.
I think the way it works is the way it was intended. Yes, a dynamic mode like the screen would be cool though. I have not read anything that says it SHOULD work like that though. But....the User Guide is 370 pages and I am only 150 into it.
10-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the way it works is the way it was intended. Yes, a dynamic mode like the screen would be cool though. I have not read anything that says it SHOULD work like that though. But....the User Guide is 370 pages and I am only 150 into it.
It might be working as intended

I've haven't found anything in the User Guide that suggests anything is actually wrong. I just assumed that because my K7 automatically rotates pictures dynamically during playback (based on the body orientation during playback) that the K5 would have that feature as well. I found it quite useful on the K7. No big deal though, it just seemed odd that it didn't work on the K5 the same way (or at least as an option).
10-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

In K-7 manual they explicitly write about this feature in Playback Functions/Rotating Images section of the manual (page225):
Images with rotation information are displayed according to the orientation of the camera.
10-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Probably a firmware update will address some of the small niggling issues. Don't lose sleep over it.
10-17-2010, 05:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
In K-7 manual they explicitly write about this feature in Playback Functions/Rotating Images section of the manual (page225):
Images with rotation information are displayed according to the orientation of the camera.

Just to be clear, the K5 does display the proper orientation during playback. If you took a vertical shot with the K5, when you go to play it back the image will be displayed vertically with black bars on the side (assuming you checked off that option in the menu). What (my) K5 doesn't seem to do (that the K7 does) is rotate the picture to fill up the whole screen when you physically rotate the body during playback.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Probably a firmware update will address some of the small niggling issues. Don't lose sleep over it.
No worries, I slept fine last night

I was just trying to figure out if there was something wrong with my specific copy of the K5 as opposed to a small bug (or maybe an intentionally omitted feature) from all K5s.
10-17-2010, 06:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Personally, I like the Auto-Rotate feature, but I find Dynamic Auto-Rotate on the K-7 irritating.....that's just me though...no big deal either way...
10-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Just to be clear, the K5 does display the proper orientation during playback. If you took a vertical shot with the K5, when you go to play it back the image will be displayed vertically with black bars on the side (assuming you checked off that option in the menu). What (my) K5 doesn't seem to do (that the K7 does) is rotate the picture to fill up the whole screen when you physically rotate the body during playback.
Yep, that's exactly what I am talking about. And in K-7 manual they write about it. I wonder wether they have the same wording in K-5 manual?