Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #61
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Qubec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,974
Original Poster
A little while back, someone posted a series of pics of an uncoming car. This was, I believe, taken with a K7.
Pretty much all of the images were in focus.
Anyway, something like this could be done with the K5?

Just make sure you are not becoming the target!

10-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #62
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
QuoteOriginally posted by dotchoucou Quote
The best would be to try the camera at an indoor shooting range place.
The system of the target coming back towards the shooter to check the accuracy would be perfect (constant speed) and the light should always be the same.
If one can put the camera on tripod with an angle it could be a nice testing setup I guess.
That's an interesting proposition. Thanxs.
10-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #63
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
Just saw a short review of a D300 user trying a D7000 . He tried to get pictures like this one.

He says that he succeeded with his D3 (cf. above picture) but failed with the D7000 while trying with both. He thinks the D7000 AF is closer to D90 than D300.

I wonder if that would be found by a "LS3" test. And it is one user's opinion only, of course.

Nevertheless, a standard BIF situation (prey at a given location) could be a better way to compare AF systems than the simplified LS3 tests.
10-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #64
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 24
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
A little while back, someone posted a series of pics of an uncoming car. This was, I believe, taken with a K7.
Pretty much all of the images were in focus.
Anyway, something like this could be done with the K5?

Just make sure you are not becoming the target!
That's what I'm talking about! This will be far more better AF-C test than people/children running (thanks for these tests anyway). Just make sure to shot wide open and with focal length at least 200mm :-)

10-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #65
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
.......... What I can say is that there isn't a frame missing. I was panning with the camera, keeping the person centered, and it seemed to skip over the tree - perhaps couldn't get a focus until I was beyond the tree? ...........

I would be the first to say that we need better testing methods. And I would like to try with the five point method you mentioned. And with my dog at home.
The Publicity blurb on SAFOX IX indicated it has predictive tracking AF (how good we will have to see) , and this may well be a sign of the predictive AF in action.
You were tracking the biker in action through several frames. In one frame, he disappeared behind the tree. The AF system "expected" the biker to be still there, though there's suddenly a tree there.
It did not start hunting all over, lock on the tree, and lose track of the biker, which previous Pentax bodies would have done. I reacquired the biker in the next frame.

The Nikon system reacts much faster , no doubt still better than Pentax, but perhaps we've got something very interesting in the K-5's brain....something we haven't had with previous Pentax cameras.
10-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #66
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
No tree shooting?? Bummer

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The Publicity blurb on SAFOX IX indicated it has predictive tracking AF (how good we will have to see) , and this may well be a sign of the predictive AF in action.
You were tracking the biker in action through several frames. In one frame, he disappeared behind the tree. The AF system "expected" the biker to be still there, though there's suddenly a tree there.
It did not start hunting all over, lock on the tree, and lose track of the biker, which previous Pentax bodies would have done. I reacquired the biker in the next frame.

The Nikon system reacts much faster , no doubt still better than Pentax, but perhaps we've got something very interesting in the K-5's brain....something we haven't had with previous Pentax cameras.
So, what that means is that whn I am tracking a biker and I suddnely want to take a picture of a beautifull tree, I can't???? Must cancel pre-order...
10-18-2010, 12:47 AM   #67
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
So, what that means is that whn I am tracking a biker and I suddnely want to take a picture of a beautifull tree, I can't???? Must cancel pre-order...
Hihihi a very good, fast predictive AF will do both...by quickly reacquiring your earlier tracking object.
I had the experience last year with Formula 1 , using a borrowed D90.
Tracking a race car down the track. Guy walks right in front of my lens - one spoiled shot. The camera immediately goes back to tracking the race car, next frame still in focus...its almost uncanny.
Sorry to sound like a Nikon fan, I'm not one, but they have something very good there.
I'll be very happy if Pentax catches up part of the way. I still prefer Pentax for a whole lot of other reasons.
10-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #68
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 213
who can test how K-5 takes such photos - fast paning

My K-7 examples:










10-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #69
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norway
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 385
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Guy walks right in front of my lens - one spoiled shot. The camera immediately goes back to tracking the race car, next frame still in focus...its almost uncanny.
All my Pentax cameras do that. And even my "slow" *istDS was able to track formula1 cars. Picture below is taken with my *istDS and FA*400/5,6. It is only cropped a small amount (to 90%, I think) which should give an indication of how close the cars was. And the speed is probably well over 200km/h.

10-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #70
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 24
When shooting a race you are far from the subject what IMHO requires less effort from AF (I think shorter and slower focus ring turns?), try to catch a fast moving car that goes at you and passes you.
My hobby almost from the moment of birth is rallying. I think it's the more demanding than racing. Unfortunately it's hard to spot someone who is using pentax for that. I'm trying to shoot with I think not bad results.

Vaikis_, your drifting shots (beside beeing overxposed) look like from a poor lens, big crops or with missed focus And panning is much easier for AF as the car is usually not heading directly at you. Mayby the last shot was a bigger problem for AF.

Last edited by Raven; 10-18-2010 at 02:02 AM.
10-18-2010, 03:07 AM   #71
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 213
QuoteOriginally posted by Raven Quote
When shooting a race you are far from the subject what IMHO requires less effort from AF (I think shorter and slower focus ring turns?), try to catch a fast moving car that goes at you and passes you.
My hobby almost from the moment of birth is rallying. I think it's the more demanding than racing. Unfortunately it's hard to spot someone who is using pentax for that. I'm trying to shoot with I think not bad results.

Vaikis_, your drifting shots (beside beeing overxposed) look like from a poor lens, big crops or with missed focus And panning is much easier for AF as the car is usually not heading directly at you. Mayby the last shot was a bigger problem for AF.
it was very sunny day and lenses DA 55-300 Not the best Where you see missed focus ?
10-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #72
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 24
Almost on all of them, but maybe it's your hand shaking or 300mm wide open? I also use 55-300 and I get much sharper pictures and after some sharpening in PS they look very good.
10-18-2010, 04:20 AM   #73
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 213
QuoteOriginally posted by Raven Quote
Almost on all of them, but maybe it's your hand shaking or 300mm wide open? I also use 55-300 and I get much sharper pictures and after some sharpening in PS they look very good.
you know what is paning ? Still objects I can get very sharp also
10-18-2010, 04:47 AM   #74
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 24
Haha, I think I know pretty well what panning means

10-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #75
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Just saw a short review of a D300 user trying a D7000 . He tried to get pictures like this one.

He says that he succeeded with his D3 (cf. above picture) but failed with the D7000 while trying with both. He thinks the D7000 AF is closer to D90 than D300.

I wonder if that would be found by a "LS3" test. And it is one user's opinion only, of course.

Nevertheless, a standard BIF situation (prey at a given location) could be a better way to compare AF systems than the simplified LS3 tests.
Panning anybody? What about panning in BIF with a K20D


K20D with Sigma 18-250 @ 200mm, cropped to 600mm (35mm equivalent).


K20D with FA*300/4.5, cropped to 2200mm (35mm equivalent).
This buzzard lives in the wild and I can see it hunting from time to time while working Obviously, longer than 300mm and TCs are mandatory in BIF for untamed birds and the tests of AF with TC mounted to the lens make a certain amount of sense then ...

Unfortunately, TC with Pentax AF is a problem because the TC doesn't multiply focal length and more importantly, the lens code K_value to the body. This makes Pentax AF hunt with a TC.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, camera, dslr, hype, iso, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, k5 af, pentax k-5, performances, tests
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA* 60-250mm tests.. Mystic Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 04-27-2009 01:11 PM
Resolution Tests YarPcola Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 05-07-2008 05:09 PM
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 tests AlexL Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 04-14-2008 06:33 AM
More tests from 50-135 thomasjmpark Post Your Photos! 11 02-07-2008 09:30 PM
New images (I think) and tests. jeffkrol Pentax News and Rumors 26 02-06-2008 07:19 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top