Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 AF Tests

Moderators: close or delete this thread if this is "untimely".

This is a call to actual USERS of the K5:

With all of the hype on the K5 high ISO performances, not much is being said about the K5 apparently much improved AF.

There are some videos on the Live View AF but there isn't much at all on the actual "through the lens" K5 AF performances.

If anyone wants to start contributing here with sample shots, [professionally conducted tests will come in due time from the proper authorities on the subject], please go ahead and let us see what you are capable of achieving now.

Moving subjects would be preferable, of course, especially those moving toward the photographers!

Hope this will attract some attention as much as the high ISO hype.

Cheers.

JP

10-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it's very timely. I would love to hear some reports from the field instead of pre-game speculation by armchair quarterbacks.
10-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe we should offer a finders fee
I was thinking of offering one for controlled DNG/RAW files.
10-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

And I would like to hear the K-7 is superior in every way
sorry.. but it is true! I enjoy liking my camera.

10-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Maybe we should offer a finders fee
I was thinking of offering one for controlled DNG/RAW files.
Just let me know what you'd like (in terms of controlled shots) and I'll do my best to take them and send you the RAW files
10-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh yes! Please... Someone?
10-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I want to be able to take a series of photos of him Running towards me, AF-C, All in Focus. Can the K5 do that (not being facetious, it's a serious question)?

10-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I want to be able to take a series of photos of him Running towards me, AF-C, All in Focus. Can the K5 do that (not being facetious, it's a serious question)?
Here's one from this morning of my son riding his bike directly at me. If I recall correctly, I was using AF-C and 5-point Auto-point select. I realize it's not quite the same as a black dog (which offers less contrast) running towards you (at faster speeds than my son can get his pedal-less bike going).

Also, for what it's worth, this was the first time I'd used AF-C on any camera body, so I really can't offer much in the way of an opinion on how it performed compared to the K7 or a Canon/Nikon.

10-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you took a burst of images while he was riding towards you, can we seem them all? This is what is important, IMO.

My K-x was able to get a couple spot on focus keepers of say, bikers riding towards me, but the vast majority was off focus (usually focused behind the subject)
10-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
If you took a burst of images while he was riding towards you, can we seem them all? This is what is important, IMO.

My K-x was able to get a couple spot on focus keepers of say, bikers riding towards me, but the vast majority was off focus (usually focused behind the subject)
Unfortunately, I didn't really take any shot bursts this morning. Old habits die hard and I was basically half-pressing the shutter button while AF-C was adjusting focus and then I'd take a single shot. 99% of the time I just use the center-point AF point and recompose and I rarely take more than a single shot at once (as in continuous drive). This was also the first time I tried auto-AF point selection.

But I'll be glad to go out tomorrow and try some burst shots... just have to remind myself to fight the urge to release my finger from the shutter button after the first shot it fired off
10-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote

Exactly.

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Unfortunately, I didn't really take any shot bursts this morning. Old habits die hard and I was basically half-pressing the shutter button while AF-C was adjusting focus and then I'd take a single shot. 99% of the time I just use the center-point AF point and recompose and I rarely take more than a single shot at once (as in continuous drive). This was also the first time I tried auto-AF point selection.

But I'll be glad to go out tomorrow and try some burst shots... just have to remind myself to fight the urge to release my finger from the shutter button after the first shot it fired off
I understand the old habits thing. I've never been thrilled with the AF-C on my other cameras for such a purpose, and as a result, I rarely use it. The reason I'm asking. I'm impressed enough with the High ISO capability of the K5 but I want to know if I'm going to be Completely happy with it (once they are back in stock).

10-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I understand the old habits thing. I've never been thrilled with the AF-C on my other cameras for such a purpose, and as a result, I rarely use it. The reason I'm asking. I'm impressed enough with the High ISO capability of the K5 but I want to know if I'm going to be Completely happy with it (once they are back in stock).
I understand.

I'm pretty happy with the high-iso performance of the K5 so far. I'd say it's a good two-stop improvement over the K7, although I haven't done any specific tests to try and quantify that number (just from fooling around with it for a day, iso6400 on the K5 feels pretty close to iso1600 on the K7).

As for the AF-C, I'll try and get out tomorrow and use it some more and see what the results look like. Obviously I'm hoping for the best, but for me (personally) the improvement in high ISO performance was enough to get me to replace my K7 with the K5. A more competent AF-C would be icing on the proverbial cake.

Also, for what it's worth, I can attest to the fact that the AF itself is quicker with the K5 than the K7 (in terms of locking time). The AF seems more decisive and there are fewer "micro-corrections" at the end right before it locks. This was true for both screw-driven lenses and SDM lenses.
10-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The AF seems more decisive and there are fewer "micro-corrections" at the end right before it locks. This was true for both screw-driven lenses and SDM lenses.
So is it correct for me to say that there are still some "micro-corrections" before it locks focus?
10-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
So is it correct for me to say that there are still some "micro-corrections" before it locks focus?
The focus is very quick and decisive under adequate lighting.

In conditions with poor lighting (like the room I'm in now, lit by a single 60w bulb) I think it's fair to say that there are still occasional "micro-corrections" (for lack of a better phrase) before locking.
10-17-2010, 04:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Do you miss spot AF? I've seen spot af on a 7D and I would love that on my pentax.