Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 06:14 AM   #16

For all the guys testing the AF on K-5: please write with what lens are you testing! It's very important. And make tests with taking many shots not one.
I would be very happy also for the test with DA 55-300. I know it's a slow lens but maybe there is an improvement with accuracy especially in low light conditions (compared to my K20D). My budget will not allow changing both body and lens

I would like finally to have a body capable of taking AF-C photos (I mean sharp ones) on motorsport events.

10-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #17

Totally agree with Raven. Different lens AF differently on the body due to construction and design.

For example, I regulary track my dog running towards me using my K-7. So far I've tried using F* 300, Tamron 70-200 and DA* 50-135, and F* gave me more consistent sharp picture of my dog running towards me than Tamron and DA*. I think its due to the faster lens focus (shorter focus throw).

I usually uses 5fps on my K-7 and focus from far to min focus distance of the lens.
10-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raven Quote
For all the guys testing the AF on K-5: please write with what lens are you testing! It's very important. And make tests with taking many shots not one.
I would be very happy also for the test with DA 55-300. I know it's a slow lens but maybe there is an improvement with accuracy especially in low light conditions (compared to my K20D). My budget will not allow changing both body and lens

I would like finally to have a body capable of taking AF-C photos (I mean sharp ones) on motorsport events.
As I write, I am putting up a set of (I think) 11 shots I did this morning with a DA 55-300, shot at 300mm with AF-C. Shot in raw, but needed to convert to jpg to get them up on smugmug. There was NO editing of any of the shots and as you will see the shots were continuous (none dropped). Trees got in the way in a couple shots but it wasn't a problem. Just click on the image and select original if you want to see the detail.

Not as fast as your motosports but hey, it had two wheels. I was not head on but at a slight angle. I could have (if I had thought about it) and increased the f stop by one and it would have been a little sharper.

If you have any problems accessing the shots let me know. They are uploading now so don't be alarmed if they all aren't there yet (because of upload size).

Oh, and these were done with a difficulty factor of having my Beagle pulling on his leash while I was trying to shoot them.

To see them, go to JosephFormanPhotography's Photos | SmugMug and select the "K-5 AF-C Shots" gallery.
10-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #19
Forum Member

Thanks for taking the time to do these series of shots.

I have D/L half the (full size)shots including the last one, but I will have to take another look at them on my 24" screen instead of my laptop.

To me it looks like a combination of high ISO - 320/sec shutter - and the impatient Beagle that the images still look a little on the soft side.
I'm trying to read the writing on the riders collar, all except the last shot I can make it out.

At F5.6 the DOF should not have been an issue, I blame the dog

Thank's again for the tests.

10-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by VHDEL Quote
At F5.6 the DOF should not have been an issue, I blame the dog
Sure, the dog always gets blamed.... My technique rather than the technology is probably the issue although I find that lens being a little soft at minimum aperture (f5.8 at 300mm). The cyclist was going a pretty good clip too. I could never have begun to do this with my K20D.
10-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks for the test
10-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
But I'll be glad to go out tomorrow and try some burst shots... just have to remind myself to fight the urge to release my finger from the shutter button after the first shot it fired off
Ok, here's a set of 15 pictures taken in burst mode from earlier this morning. I had my son run towards me as fast as he could, which it turns out isn't really all that fast So I don't know if the results will really tell you anything about how the AF-C might do with something like motorcycles but I figured I'd post them anyway.

Anyway, I think the AF did ok, but not necessarily great. They're certainly not as sharp as I think they would have been on a static target. But again, as is really my first experience with AF-C (and auto AF point selection) and I have no benchmark or feel for what the body should or shouldn't have been able to do.

All taken with the K5 + DA*60-250/4 in one burst. at ~100mm, 1/1000s, f/5.6, iso200, 5-point auto AF point selection and AF-C.

10-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Hmm...
I dont know if I trust the camera AF selection...if you go out again, can you maybe do an AF-C but have it at middle point only, focusing on the eyes? would be great
10-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Hmm...
I dont know if I trust the camera AF selection...if you go out again, can you maybe do an AF-C but have it at middle point only, focusing on the eyes? would be great
I generally don't trust camera AF auto-selection either, which is why in the past 6 years of using a DSLR I've never tried to use it

I could try it next time with center point only focus, but I don't think there would be anyway I could keep the center point exactly on his eyes as he's running towards me
10-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member

They came out great! The DOF at 100mm f/5.6 is not huge, not small, but not large!
10-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #26

One more set

I am just putting up a 12 shot sequence of two kids skating away from me (does it matter if they are going away or towards?). Again shot with 55-300mm and K-5. I think you will find this a little sharper - my Beagle was not pulling as much and there was more light (although not as fast as the biker).

To see them, like the others, go to JosephFormanPhotography's Photos | SmugMug and select the "K-5 AF-C Shots" gallery.
10-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Thanks guys, I'm trying to be inched over the edge here. High ISO performance is nice but it isn't enough to make me take a $600 or so hit on my K7 (by the time I pay for the K5) so I'm trying to evaluate the value of the prospect. The kid isn't as fast as my speed demon but they certainly look promising. Of course, any excuse to go out and take pictures (and spending time with your son) is a worthwhile task.

Now if more people would head over to the marketplace and buy some of those MF lenses (that's Manual Focus) I have for sale, I could be pushed even further to the K5 edge
10-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Guys, thanks by the way for putting up with us and our little nitpicking ^_^.

The shots of the couple walking away are great and sharp - though I do think keeping a large aperture (2.8-5.6) and focusing on a small moving target (eyes) would put more testing stress to the K5's AF performance than a large target (like both kid's backs).

Thanks for all the efforts !
10-17-2010, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
The shots of the couple walking away are great and sharp - though I do think keeping a large aperture (2.8-5.6) and focusing on a small moving target (eyes) would put more testing stress to the K5's AF performance than a large target (like both kid's backs).
FWIW they were skating - not walking. Little faster movement.

But I wouldn't know how to keep a camera hand held with center point on eyes while the subject is moving. I perhaps don't understand (which is very possible), but can't imagine that level of physical control. Especially at over 200mm.
10-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

sorry Let me elaborate. I agree with you though , in regards to locking on eyes at 200mm...maybe something shorter, ..

I see my application for a say, a model on a runway; they move fast enough towards you; the lighting's not amazingly great (like concert lighting), there are a lot of sideways and rotation to the target's body and face; and you have to make sure the eyes are sharp;

or,

A speed skater finishing up right on the line; you'd focus on their eyes/face as they close in (like 50 feet before finish line), and then press the shutter button right when they break that finish line.

I could be mistaken about these application samples though. I did do the runway thing, and it didnt work very well for me, lots of missing focus on eyes as terrible lighting and fast movement makes af unreliable with my K200D..