Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No more!!!! I give up

OK, I surrender! I now honestly believe that this camara can take amazing High ISO shots. In fact it might just become a spelunker's best friend! You've convinced me, I am so lusting after this camera that I would prolly pass up a date with Brooklyn Decker http://www.scificool.com/images/2010/08/Brooklyn-Decker.jpg to play with one.
But please please please do not post any good DR results! If they turn out half as good as the high ISO shots, my poor heart may not be able to take it!

NaCl(take pity on an old man)H2O

10-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
OK, I surrender! I now honestly believe that this camara can take amazing High ISO shots. In fact it might just become a spelunker's best friend! You've convinced me, I am so lusting after this camera that I would prolly pass up a date with Brooklyn Decker http://www.scificool.com/images/2010/08/Brooklyn-Decker.jpg to play with one.
But please please please do not post any good DR results! If they turn out half as good as the high ISO shots, my poor heart may not be able to take it!

Do I need to cut off John's supply of RAW files
10-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #63
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
OGL is known here as a person that is never happy with pentax products, so when he finaly is happy with a pentax crop camera, then trust him
Amen to that

OGL - you're getting soft in your old age
10-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Do I need to cut off John's supply of RAW files
Nah, only the good ones! The ones with lots of noise and terrible DR you can keep sending him. That way I can pretend that all these wonderful high ISO shots were just a fluke and it will be OK to wait a few months b4 I get a K-5. Thing is I just spent $2K on a new computer/monitor combo and I'm broke as far as discretionary spending is concerned

NaCl(hmmm,,, maybe I can convince my landlord he doesn't need the November rent)H2O

10-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Considering Pentax wouldn't sponsor a publisher, I doubt they would ever consider my case studies for anything other than free publicity.

Which is perfectly fine with me tbh. as it could have gone in any direction as far as I'm concerned(D7000, A55 etc). But as it turns out, Pentax designed the better system and so here we are

I just wish I had a K-5 here so I could get down to business!
An in depth, K-5, vs, D700, vs D7000 showdown!
The least they could do (Pentax) is to offer some freebies for folks doing so much work, ON THEIR BEHALF.
Let's face it, no way Pentax is doing this sort of evaluation at this time.

I am really looking forward to the showdown, as you mention!

Thanks again for all of the great work you are doing FOR US!

JP
10-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

Just you wait until the AF tests come in!

You'd better take a look at this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118553-k5-auto-focus-tests.html

and ... coming up pro-tests from Pentax Forums !!
and ... high ISO AF tests !!
and ...

JP
10-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #67

Hello,

i have a K-x with DA 55-300. AF-C is ok (i think so) but have Problems if the Bird or something else nearer than the pictures i have made.

Nearer than this is blurred (oof i mean) I hope that K-r/K-5 i can get the last pitcure too (so the bird is bigger in the picture)

PS: sorry for my bad englisch

This ist a AF-C seqenze

and the last one

but i think the pictures could be a little better in focus and the last one nearer would be the best picture but the AF-C can not follow the Bird.

10-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dslr Quote
Hello,

i have a K-x with DA 55-300. AF-C is ok (i think so) but have Problems if the Bird or something else nearer than the pictures i have made.

Nearer than this is blurred (oof i mean) I hope that K-r/K-5 i can get the last pitcure too (so the bird is bigger in the picture)

PS: sorry for my bad englisch

This ist a AF-C seqenze

and the last one

but i think the pictures could be a little better in focus and the last one nearer would be the best picture but the AF-C can not follow the Bird.
Good shots!!

The last one ... you said the AF-C cannot follow the bird.
Could be because the bird is getting real close and I think this is inherent to the camera's close range limit.
Hopefully, the K5 might be a little better for that specific "issue" (well, not really an issue as much as a "bummer")

I had many similar instances of "losing" the subject at close range with both the K20D and the K7.
Specifically: when the subject is coming toward the camera at a reasonably fast speed.

Mind you, my technique is really not that great but I can see where the subject becomes too close and the camera will stop "tracking", so to speak.

JP
10-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As an aside, I'm very excited with the results shown so far at higher ISO settings - it's nothing short of brilliant for a compact, rugged body with an APS-C sensor. That's a huge leap of several stops of sensitivity over the K10D with amazing detail retention and minimal. I'm pretty much convinced that the K-5 is a very worthy upgrade.

However, it's the performance of the AF under a variety of conditions that will decide things from my perspective. I feel optimistic about the AF, although real world testing on birds, etc. will reveal a great deal, but it takes time and effort to learn it's nuances. That includes tracking BIF, dynamic range in low light conditions (heavily shadowed) and mirror blackout during 7FPS may/may not cause AF issues, especially on "busy" backgrounds. If it's not in focus, then that brilliant sensor performance is hobbled. Rest assured that I am not nay saying anything here - I am very optimistic for the K-5 overall, yet I wish to have the K-5's AF system be pushed hard and often in the real world of birding/wildlife work. Super telephotos are very unforgiving ("keepers") with someone lacking skill in using a longer FL, but also it's very narrow FOV means the photographer can put hard demands on the AF with focusing/locking/tracking etc. performance.

BTW, I am simply delaying the K-5 purchase for a while, not because of any concerns. I may have to reserve and possibly channel funds that may be needed elsewhere during the next couple of months - priorities you know.

Regards,
Marc
10-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Still to much noise @ ISO 400 for me
10-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
This is about as good as it gets in APS-C land.
You'll probably need to splurge on a D3S or 5D Mark II to get better than this
10-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I too was in two minds whether to hang on to the K-7 or not. However one Pentax K-5 sample image did it for me.
I bit the bullet and quickly dumped my rapidly depreciating (read worthless) K-7... no more Samsung sensors for me.
Now I think I made the right decision, and I think I'm not the only one...
10-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
This is about as good as it gets in APS-C land.
You'll probably need to splurge on a D3S or 5D Mark II to get better than this
Well, im hopefull that eventually ISO 400 will be clean in APSC land.... I am slowly getting drawn more and more to full frame though

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I too was in two minds whether to hang on to the K-7 or not. However one Pentax K-5 sample image did it for me.
I bit the bullet and quickly dumped my rapidly depreciating (read worthless) K-7... no more Samsung sensors for me.
Now I think I made the right decision, and I think I'm not the only one...
Your K-7 may be worthless, but mine is not. Good for you creampuff... im glad you like your new toy.

Last edited by yeatzee; 10-19-2010 at 06:40 PM.
10-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regarding K5 files submitted for denoising ... couple of questions:

1. Why is it that a "denoised" file suddenly becomes much smaller than the original file?
I.E.: the stronger the denoising, the smaller the file gets?
2. Can you actually load a RAW file directly into Denoise NR software? If so, how?

I got the trial Topaz Denoise - 30 days - seems to work good.

After much high ISO discussions, is anyone interested to produce some images taken under poor lighting conditions, and using AF-C/AF-S?
It's fine that the K5 can render such pictures presented here, but even at high ISO, with dim light, will the AF actually be able to get the subject?

JP
10-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Regarding K5 files submitted for denoising ... couple of questions:

1. Why is it that a "denoised" file suddenly becomes much smaller than the original file?
I.E.: the stronger the denoising, the smaller the file gets?
2. Can you actually load a RAW file directly into Denoise NR software? If so, how?

I got the trial Topaz Denoise - 30 days - seems to work good.

After much high ISO discussions, is anyone interested to produce some images taken under poor lighting conditions, and using AF-C/AF-S?
It's fine that the K5 can render such pictures presented here, but even at high ISO, with dim light, will the AF actually be able to get the subject?

JP
I believe you are correct on point #1. Nosier files appear to be larger so it would stand to reason that "denoised" files would be smaller. Perhaps someone can chime in with a more technical explanation

As for the second question, I don't believe you can directly work on a raw file with Denoise. You have to first open it with ACR or LR3 or whatever raw converter you use and then work on it in Denoise. Again, I just downloaded it tonight so I am hardly an authority on this.

I almost never use MF (except on my A50/1.2 where there is no option). All my shots on the K5 have been taken with AF, including some pretty low light ones. I've had no issues with AF locking even in dim conditions. If it's very dim, the AF-illumination light will switch on, and provided your subject isn't too far away, you're still good to go.