Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Still to much noise @ ISO 400 for me
Jeez, such a perfectionist. What little noise is present at ISO 400 is easily removed by any decent raw converter, making it a non-issue. You won't even need one of the heavy duty NR programs for that.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 10-19-2010 at 08:31 PM.
10-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Jeez, such a perfectionist. What little noise is present at ISO 400 is easily removed by any decent raw converter, making it a non-issue. You won't even need one of the heavy duty NR programs for that.

Rob
Your absolutely right, I am a perfectionist. I shoot macro's almost exclusively, and shooting @ ISO 400 would be so helpful but I cannot take the IQ hit it gives me. The K-5 based off of the samples I've been able to find looks basically the same as the K-7 noise wise. Its simply to much *for me*, as I strive for the best IQ possible often shooting at <F/5.6 instead of F/8 at magnifications greater than 2:1 just because I want that extra boost of sharpness. This more often than not results in me missing the shots because the subject is not cooperative enough to stack, but this is fine by me
10-20-2010, 02:01 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Your absolutely right, I am a perfectionist. I shoot macro's almost exclusively, and shooting @ ISO 400 would be so helpful but I cannot take the IQ hit it gives me. The K-5 based off of the samples I've been able to find looks basically the same as the K-7 noise wise. Its simply to much *for me*, as I strive for the best IQ possible often shooting at <F/5.6 instead of F/8 at magnifications greater than 2:1 just because I want that extra boost of sharpness. This more often than not results in me missing the shots because the subject is not cooperative enough to stack, but this is fine by me
I once read that perfectionism can often hold you back

BTW. have you ever tried super resolution shooting? It's the type of thing that makes certain people giddy
10-20-2010, 03:17 AM   #79
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by climbertrev Quote
Amen to that

OGL - you're getting soft in your old age
I simply converted DNG... K-5 is good for my old FA*, FA and FA LTD
It's stange satori

10-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Regarding K5 files submitted for denoising ... couple of questions:

1. Why is it that a "denoised" file suddenly becomes much smaller than the original file?
I.E.: the stronger the denoising, the smaller the file gets?
JP
The noise in the picture might as well be details/information and information takes space in the file. Denoise it until it's one gigantic white blob and all that has to be saved in the file is "one gigantic white blob" it doesn't take much space at all.
10-20-2010, 03:58 AM   #81

Still to much noise @ ISO 400 for me
Oh, please...
10-20-2010, 05:50 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I once read that perfectionism can often hold you back

BTW. have you ever tried super resolution shooting? It's the type of thing that makes certain people giddy
Never heard of it

QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
Oh, please...
What, am I not allowed an opinion any more? The high ISO images look great, but this means little to me as I don't shoot in dark conditions needing more than ISO 1600. IMO I still believe there is to much noise @ ISO 400

10-20-2010, 06:36 AM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
2. Can you actually load a RAW file directly into Denoise NR software? If so, how?
Using the free additional tool Topaz Fusion you can use Denoise as a second external editor for Adobe lightroom. But doing so you do not process the original RAW files. Instead Lightroom exports a TIFF File to Denoise which is saved to the LR database afterwards.
10-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xatnep_CJ Quote
Using the free additional tool Topaz Fusion you can use Denoise as a second external editor for Adobe lightroom. But doing so you do not process the original RAW files. Instead Lightroom exports a TIFF File to Denoise which is saved to the LR database afterwards.
I downloaed Topaz Fusion last night and I was still under the impression that LR is doing the RAW conversion first, then exporting a copy as a TIFF to be worked on in Denoise, which then gets sent back to LR.
10-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
*snip*

BTW, I am simply delaying the K-5 purchase for a while, not because of any concerns. I may have to reserve and possibly channel funds that may be needed elsewhere during the next couple of months - priorities you know.

Regards,
Marc
You and me both Marc, I'm hoping by Christmas time my discretionary buget will have recovered

NaCl(BTW, do you know any good banks I could rob?)H2O
10-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@yeatzee: You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But a sensor is not all about noise. There is also colour accuracy and dynamic range which have a great deal to do with the resulting image. Don't count your chickens until all the reviews are in.
10-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@yeatzee: You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But a sensor is not all about noise. There is also colour accuracy and dynamic range which have a great deal to do with the resulting image. Don't count your chickens until all the reviews are in.
And I understand this, which is why i only made a comment about the ISO as this is a thread ABOUT ISO performance.
10-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #88
Veteran Member

How about 80 ISO?
10-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Regarding the de-noising / PP of the 51,200 shot and someone posted about trying Topaz, i ran this through both Topaz and then Ninja.

The performance of this camera will make me reach for a credit card. As soon ithe bank will let me have one

Last edited by Squier; 10-20-2010 at 09:03 PM.
10-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Regarding the de-noising / PP of the 51,200 shot and someone posted about trying Topaz, i ran this through both Topaz and then Ninja.
I haven't run this one through Denoise yet, it was just opened in LR3 with a little bit of NR.

But it's a more "real world" example of ISO 51200 in very low light.