Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 10:41 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dont we already have both the praising and the complaint thread? :tongue"

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I think Pentax did a great job with the K-5, although I am interested in seeing how the AF stacks up against other cameras in its class. That said, I can be a critic if asked :-P

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
snip
2 SD slots would be nice simply so you don't lose everything if a card dies. That said, the size increase would probably be more annoying.

Smaller AF points means that when you focus on the persons face, you can actually select the details such as their eyes, which is useful for very narrow depth of fields. With larger points, you can't do that. It just picks whatever it wants, usually that with the most contrast, to focus on. It's not easy to manually override, even with a split-image focus screen, IMO

Focus recompose is good except at close focusing and narrow depth of field, where rotating will cause back-focusing unless the field curvature shape just happens to match your rotation. This (and other areas) is what using color information can help with. It's a wannabe version of hasselblad's "True Focus"

The other is for tracking specific objects, say in action. Say you want the focus on a ball and it goes between AF points like crazy. Color information can allow your camera to actively track that as it is passed between players, etc. May be helpful in very fast action scenes where you can't keep center point on what you want.

AF point sensitivity says the tolerance for what is in focus. A f5.6 sensor will say something is in acceptable focus when it is on the fringe of what is in focus, while a f2.8 will center it more. At shallow DoFs, a f5.6 may think something is in focus, while it really won't be.

Sync speed is probably the biggest for me, although I am not sure how they will solve this with a firmware update. Perhaps the shutters actually move faster and it's a firmware limit. Seems odd why they would limit it, if that's the case.
10-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
The other is for tracking specific objects, say in action. Say you want the focus on a ball and it goes between AF points like crazy. Color information can allow your camera to actively track that as it is passed between players, etc. May be helpful in very fast action scenes where you can't keep center point on what you want.
Now THAT would be a boatload of fun when shooting BIFs with AFC-C mode.

Thanks for the explainations.
10-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Now THAT would be a boatload of fun when shooting BIFs with AFC-C mode.

Thanks for the explainations.
AI-Servo mode on the...7D...but it will be interesting to see how the AF-C manages on the K-5 since the 7D does have more focus points but it's only 8-more, 19-total. It is possible they could do OK with the right algorithms. But even the tracking on the 40D was great compared to my poor old K20D...

I still have a feeling the K-5 could end up a better body than the 7D but then again the 7D has been in the game for a year and it's quirks are known or fixed.

Dang I can't wait to see the published reviews...

10-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #20

I cannot hear any noise from the dust removal system either! I don't think it's working!

Everyone with a k5, test the ultrasonic dust removal. On the k7 the noise it makes tells me its working . On the k5, nothing. No noise, and a dust pattern will still be visible after ultrasonic cleaning.
10-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #21

I cannot hear the dust removal shake at all. I am seriously wondering if it works. It is definitely turned on. Would someone else try the feature on their k5 ? With the k7 their is no question when it's working. It makes a noise that is easily heard. Not a peep on the k5 even if you put your ear up to the camera. At least with mine. I may have purchased a defective one.
Thanks,
Teri
10-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by terihanright Quote
I cannot hear any noise from the dust removal system either! I don't think it's working!

Everyone with a k5, test the ultrasonic dust removal. On the k7 the noise it makes tells me its working . On the k5, nothing. No noise, and a dust pattern will still be visible after ultrasonic cleaning.
You already have dust on your K-5?
Try to reshoot, making sure its against a featureless wall. The dust detect function can give spurious results if the scene you shoot against has visible detail on it..
10-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #23

Is their a noise when you use the dust removal feature ?

10-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by terihanright Quote
Is their a noise when you use the dust removal feature ?
There is no noise, it's completely silent on the K5.
10-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #25
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There may not be a noise on the dust removal, but wouldn't you still feel the camera vibrate?
10-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
There may not be a noise on the dust removal, but wouldn't you still feel the camera vibrate?
When you start the camera, there is a slight vibration, but I don't think it's the dust removal. This is because if you turn off the dust removal on start-up, there is still the same vibration. Plus, if you manually initiate the dust removal via the menu, there is no vibration either. This leads me to believe that you can't hear/feel the dust removal and the vibration at startup is likely the SR system getting the sensor in place (my guess).
10-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
I may be mistaken but I don't think it works that way. I need it for dim details, like dim meteors and such. If the sensor didn't pick it up I cannot amplify it.
Although high ISO capabilities are good on this camera for low light, it will generate more heat thus additional noise from powering the sensor for long exposures. Going over 30 seconds (even 15 seconds) in bulb mode will cause streaking/arcing of stars and thus ruin dim details unless you use an equatorial mount tripod with tracking. If you do use a tracking mount, then you can compensate by just going longer on the shutter with a remote lockable switch. You will then get far superior shots at the lowest iso possible.
In bulb mode on my K20D I get the best shots at iso 100.
10-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vancmann Quote
Although high ISO capabilities are good on this camera for low light, it will generate more heat thus additional noise from powering the sensor for long exposures. Going over 30 seconds (even 15 seconds) in bulb mode will cause streaking/arcing of stars and thus ruin dim details unless you use an equatorial mount tripod with tracking. If you do use a tracking mount, then you can compensate by just going longer on the shutter with a remote lockable switch. You will then get far superior shots at the lowest iso possible.
In bulb mode on my K20D I get the best shots at iso 100.
Simple double barndoor tracker for me and yes that lower ISO helps but without spending a fortune on really fast lenses I still cannot capture dim streaks like I want during a longer tracking shower.
10-19-2010, 03:41 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
I may be mistaken but I don't think it works that way. I need it for dim details, like dim meteors and such. If the sensor didn't pick it up I cannot amplify it.
As I understand it iso 1600 is maximum "real" sensitivity on this sensor, higher iso is only a form a multiplication on the data gathered at iso 1600. Thus if you don't pick it up at 1600 you will not pick it up at higher iso either.
10-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I'd also like to see the hotshoe not flat out disabled above 1/160s for wireless triggers.

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-27-2010 at 06:21 PM.