Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Others, like tethering, are very seldom a topic on any Pentax forums i visit.
There's been lots and lots of posts, and quite a few threads, dedicated to the absence of tethering in the K-5, K-7, and 645D. It seems that there may be work afoot to add tethering to the 645D at the very least though, so fingers crossed that'll trickle down to the K-5 and K-7 as well. (And if that happens, fingers crossed we can persuade Adobe to add support in Lightroom's tethering tool, too.)

More here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/117655-...tethering.html

10-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Eruditass, regarding the 1/160s for wireless triggers - I think it has an x-sync mode (with my k10D if you use x-sync mode you get 1/180s)
10-29-2010, 02:26 AM   #33
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Irritations

Few irritations:
  • AF switch is not very positive, very easy to leave it between options... getting close to glove season.
  • Video mode should be more like an independent user mode I don't like its Ev compensation carrying over to single shot modes.
  • Would like user modes to record a shutter speed or aperture etc set rather than just shooting mode. Not much point having a user mode for say BIF in Tv which has an Ev comp & ISO range but when you select it it starts with a shutter speed of 1/60 because you were doing a large DOF shot in Av.

Still it now appears that we don't have the final firmware the engineers wanted yet.
11-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #34
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
They aren't really complaints, but I figured I would list everything I could think of being improved with the K-5

Isn't the RAW buffer 8, or just over 1 second of shots?

For Dual SD card slots:
1) Longer videos, because they are limited to 4 GB due to the filesystem
2) Using larger cards means that if the card fails, more photos are lost.

I do that a lot.
With the RAW buffer size growing to 20 mean we've got to move this to the praise thread?

If so can I add another small irritation...
Going into the Control panel the camera overrides the image file format I've selected by the RAW button So working in RAW I choose JPEG via the button but want to add shadow recovery go into the Control panel to select it BUT it is not available because file type has gone back to RAW.

11-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
With the RAW buffer size growing to 20 mean we've got to move this to the praise thread?

If so can I add another small irritation...
Going into the Control panel the camera overrides the image file format I've selected by the RAW button So working in RAW I choose JPEG via the button but want to add shadow recovery go into the Control panel to select it BUT it is not available because file type has gone back to RAW.
Did you check whether the RAW button is set to cancell after 1 shot ?
On the K-7 that's the default setting, and so the RAW button press selection only takes effect for 1 shot.
11-01-2010, 02:31 AM   #36
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Did you check whether the RAW button is set to cancell after 1 shot ?
On the K-7 that's the default setting, and so the RAW button press selection only takes effect for 1 shot.
No it is not set to cancel, but I don't even get to take that one shot

Not having owned the K-7 I can't say whats the same and whats different. I'm sure if the K-7 did the same someone would have griped?
11-01-2010, 02:43 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
No it is not set to cancel, but I don't even get to take that one shot

Not having owned the K-7 I can't say whats the same and whats different. I'm sure if the K-7 did the same someone would have griped?
Its the same on the K-7, since you have to press the MENU button to access the control panel.
I had always understood the RAW button to be a temporary setting, not equivalent to the Custom Menu setting, or the Control Panel setting.

Name:  RAW button.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  63.1 KB

Last edited by kittykat46; 11-01-2010 at 02:50 AM.
11-01-2010, 03:00 AM   #38
Col
Veteran Member

Yes says the same in the K-5 manual... but I'm pressing the INFO button aren't I? So have they changed the functionality of the INFO button but not the manual?

11-01-2010, 05:55 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I just re-checked on the K-7.
Its the same behaviour - the Control Panel is basically a graphical representation of your equivalent Custom menu settings. If that's set to RAW, the control panel will stay on RAW, notwithstanding the "temporary" setting from the RAW button.
You can, of course, change the setting through the Control Panel, but that's the same as changing your Custom Menu setup.
11-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #40
Inactive Account

I want to ask a stupid question. Eruditass, What is the sensor on the pentax k-5 for af.
f5.6 or what? I am very interested in this. I own a 300mm f2.8 lens and it is a bitch in af. hunting all the time and hit and miss focus on small subjects.
I have seen some bodys saying they are for the 2.8 af system. I'm a little confused.
Someone throw there two cents in here.
11-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Selectable focus point

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote

Smaller AF points means that when you focus on the persons face, you can actually select the details such as their eyes, which is useful for very narrow depth of fields. With larger points, you can't do that. It just picks whatever it wants, usually that with the most contrast, to focus on. It's not easy to manually override, even with a split-image focus screen, IMO
========================

Won't the K5 allow you to select an individual focus point?
11-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A faster lens lets in more light and is therefore BETTER for AF for any DSLR I ever used. I have never heard of the sensor being for an f2.8 system so I might learn something here too. Where have you seen a body with a 2.8 AF system in the spec?

As you know, f5.6 is may be the breakpoint for many cameras to stop AF if the lens is slower than f5.6, like when adding a teleconverter to an exisint f5.6 lens. An f2.8 lens is a dream in that case.
11-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #43
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
A faster lens lets in more light and is therefore BETTER for AF for any DSLR I ever used. I have never heard of the sensor being for an f2.8 system so I might learn something here too. Where have you seen a body with a 2.8 AF system in the spec?

As you know, f5.6 is may be the breakpoint for many cameras to stop AF if the lens is slower than f5.6, like when adding a teleconverter to an exisint f5.6 lens. An f2.8 lens is a dream in that case.
Yes Canon had to introduce and additional sensor of a higher spec to cope with the narrower DOF of an f2.8 lens & correct for inaccuracies in their AF system, probably caused in part in how faster they wanted it to work at the time. AFAIK Pentax, Nikon AF did not require this extra tweek to maintain focus accuracy for fast lenses.
11-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #44
Inactive Account

You know i have the 300 f2.8 and the 500 f4.5 sigma lens and have noticed the same af issues with both. When the subject is small in the center focus. Say about half of the area, the af system gets confused. It just hunts and racks back and forth. I dont see it in the 500 so much because the objects are bigger but the 300 is very bad. I usually add a 1.4 tc on the 300 for birding and really watch how i auto focus the camera.

Imtheguy, you have the 400 f2.8 i think. do you have the same problem in af?
G

Oh, i can't remember where i saw the ad. But it stuck with me...
11-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the 400/2.8 I have is the A*400/2.8 so the only AF I ever use is with a pentax 1.7x AF TC which bumps the usable light 1.7x2.8 or just generally as 1.5 stops. But considering the number of f1.4, f1.7, f1.9 and f2 Pentax lenses out there, if there was a systemic problem with fast lense AF you would be drowning in threads on the topic. My longest AF lens at f2.8 is a 90mm which has no issues on the K20D or the K-5.

If you are looking for help form the forum with a specific focusing issue I you start a new thread tittled such that you can get more eyes on it than buried on page 3 of this K-5 compaint thread. Good luck.