Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started a K-5 Praise thread, now the Complaint thread

yeah, yeah, iso 1,000,000 or something. That is not much good if I can't get the @#$%^ SD card out of the slot. The door does not swing open very wide and my fat fingers cannot grip the card. Took a full 5 minutes just now. The slot is too tight.

Getting the AF Adjustments done is taking much longer than with the K20. Its possible I just forgot how aggrevating it is to do it right. I am not yet convinced that the AF does not do a random focus far from the center point every 10 shots or so. Tomorrow with tripod and daylight will tell me for sure.

I can not hear the dust removal shake at all. I think it works but so quietly you just have to believe its there. Just like the shutter, I at least want it loud enough to know its working.

did i mention the SD card will hang up on the data lock switch on the side of the card if you are not careful? The K20 spoiled me.

PRAISE - after suffering through the K20 Tungsten white balance, the K-5 has extra menu settings so even AWB works fine. That problem is gone. I expected better but this exceeds better.

DETAIL - Pixel peeping a very low iso shot by K20 and K5 I could see no difference in the level of detail at 100%. Color is different with jpg defaults on both as I find the k20 was too green/yellow and the K5 too cool. Both easily adjusted in-camera.

10-17-2010, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No 24fps or 50+ fps (for slow motion like
) video

video AGC?

No AF in video

Video binning instead of downsampling (no DSLR does this at the moment)

RAW buffer size

No 2nd SD card slot

Tethering

Size & Number of AF points

AF point sensitivity(f2.8) (this combined with a smaller AF point is equivalent to canon's "spot af" mode)

No usage of color information for intelligently selecting AF point when an object is moving

No proximity sensors by the eyecup for enabling SR and turning off the rear LCD

1/180s sync speed

P-TTL reliability (untested)?

non-grip AA battery compatibility
(These are not actual complaints, but ideas for improvements for the future)

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-27-2010 at 07:58 PM.
10-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't own one - yet, but

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
No 24fps video

No SR in video Not an issue for me, I keep forgetting my K-7 even Has video

No AF in video As above

RAW buffer size Isn't 15 shots enough?

No 2nd SD card slot Not sure why this is an issue with the larger capacity cards available

Price wonderful piece of kit for the price, an absolute bargain!

Tethering Conceded, but it isn't that big an issue to me personally

Size & Number of AF points And you are complaining about the price? Lets be realistic.

somewhat clutching at straws
sorry Eruditass, you must have been editing your post as I was replying to it.

Last edited by wizofoz; 10-17-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: changed information
10-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

They aren't really complaints, but I figured I would list everything I could think of being improved with the K-5

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I don't own one - yet, but
Isn't the RAW buffer 8, or just over 1 second of shots?

For Dual SD card slots:
1) Longer videos, because they are limited to 4 GB due to the filesystem
2) Using larger cards means that if the card fails, more photos are lost.

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
sorry Eruditass, you must have been editing your post as I was replying to it.
I do that a lot.

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-17-2010 at 08:12 PM.
10-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They aren't really complaints, but I figured I would list everything I could think of being improved with the K-5

Isn't the RAW buffer 8, or just over 1 second of shots?
I think that is correct, but many more FPS in Jpg. I overlooked the 'RAW' specification.
10-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

No SR in video
It can be turned on - its buried in the Movie menu.
10-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
It can be turned on - its buried in the Movie menu.
Corrected. I do recall someone from support saying it wasn't there, I suppose it was false?

10-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Corrected. I do recall someone from support saying it wasn't there, I suppose it was false?
Both the K5 and K7 (and Kx for that matter) have SR during movie mode.
10-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I can not hear the dust removal shake at all. I think it works but so quietly you just have to believe its there. Just like the shutter, I at least want it loud enough to know its working.
The supersonic Dust Removal system of the K-7/K-5 is one of their best unsung features.
Its near-silent and really works.

My K-7 hasn't needed the Rocket blower work on the sensor even once in 15 months, that's how good it is.
10-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

A couple comments in case it helps;

Regarding the card, I'm presuming it is the same issue as we have with the K-7? It took a little while to get used to the SD slot on my K-7 and the first couple attempts were a bit aggravating, but I simply push the card in and take my finger away fast enough that the card comes out a little further and it is no longer snug in the slot. Some cards are better than others.

If my memory serves me right, Dust removal defaulted to "on" for my K20d, where on the K-7 (and presumably the K-5) is was not turned on (but easily set).
10-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #11

Bulb limited to 1600, lame considering the fine high ISO abilities of the camera, should be 3200 or 6400...
10-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #12

Since you seem to have played some with the video, can you point out the video improvements with regard to control? Can you set shutter speed manually? Will shutter speed at least display while you're in video mode so you can lock exposure when the shutter speed's at 1/25 if setting it manually is not an option? Thanks.
10-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
Bulb limited to 1600, lame considering the fine high ISO abilities of the camera, should be 3200 or 6400...
Anything above ISO1600 is achieved by amplification, right? So you could just underexpose and add EV in PP.
10-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Anything above ISO1600 is achieved by amplification, right? So you could just underexpose and add EV in PP.
I may be mistaken but I don't think it works that way. I need it for dim details, like dim meteors and such. If the sensor didn't pick it up I cannot amplify it.
10-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So why am I still impressed with my K-5 in spite of the shortcomings?

No 24fps or 50+ fps (for slow motion like ) video I don't care about video. That said, if 24 is the standard, why make it 25??

video AGC? I don't care about video. I actually got more use from the K20 20fps burst than I will with true video

No AF in video ...still don't care

Video binning instead of downsampling (no DSLR does this at the moment) see above

RAW buffer size Hmm...28 JPGs in 4 sec is cool but only 8 RAW or 7 RAW+ before the buffer fills seems low but I have SO little experience with other DSLRs. It does seem to write to the card (using Sandisk 8gb extreme III 30mb/s) and respond to buttons faster than the K20 does after a burst.

No 2nd SD card slot I don't know why this is an issue...what does it really gain? Why not 3 slots, 4 slots

Tethering Was fun to try on the K20 but not useful for wildlife...my point is its not a drawback if your requirements don't include it.

Size & Number of AF points What do I do with more than 11 points when I shoot center/recompose 100% of the time. I am sincerely asking...what do you do with more points? What is the problem with the size?

No usage of color information for intelligently selecting AF point when an object is moving Huh?

AF point sensitivity(f2.8)? Huh?

No proximity sensors by the eyecup for enabling SR and turning off the rear LCD Yes, I am not in the habit of turning off the LCD and a sensor would have been worth $10 or so.

1/180s sync speed Supposedly on the way in new firmware and will allow a little faster wildlife shots with fill since HSS kills the range.

/thread
(These are not actual complaints, but ideas for improvements for the future)
Some, like the 1/180 sync, is a complaint seen ever since the prelim specs came out. Others, like tethering, are very seldom a topic on any Pentax forums i visit. Guess thats why it was dropped. Finally, I am not smart enough to understand why some items matter or even what they are. But this is how I learn. Thanks for the list.

Last edited by imtheguy; 10-17-2010 at 11:02 PM.