Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax-TTL, how is it with K5 now?

same, better, smarter?

10-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still no TTL, if you're referring to flash. The last body to support that was the *ist DS2

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2010, 04:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ah well.
10-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Still no TTL, if you're referring to flash. The last body to support that was the *ist DS2
Adam, I think he is referencing Pentax-TTL or P-TTL. Isn't that the description of the current flash technology?

And if so, have there been any changes to the flash methods?

10-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #5

TTL (Through The Lens) of the traditional kind, measuring reflected light from the film, does not work well in the digital era as the sensor does not reflect light in a good way. Therefore all brands are instead using some kind of P-TTL, P standing for P. Works by having a pre-flash to measure before the mirror if flipped. Therefore, do not expect TTL to ever be supported again.
10-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #6

O.K., let me rephrase the question...

Has there been any functional changes to the flash technology in the K-5? Of any sort...

There aren't any that I am aware of. Anyone else???
10-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Adam, I think he is referencing Pentax-TTL or P-TTL. Isn't that the description of the current flash technology?

And if so, have there been any changes to the flash methods?
I thought it stood for Program-TTL, which is basically the cheap calculated version of TTL. It basically equates to crippled lens mounts vs non-crippled lens mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Has there been any functional changes to the flash technology in the K-5? Of any sort...

There aren't any that I am aware of. Anyone else???
Pentax K-5 & Pentax K-7 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

No changes. The only thing that might be coming out is an increased sync speed through a firmware update- there's a thread on why that's possible: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/118349-about-1-250-x-s...ash-rumor.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #8

so this topic made me put a flash on the K-5 and take the same shots with my K20D. There was a distinct difference.

I never trusted the K20D and mostly shot in manual mode. But I am surprised with the results on the K-5 on consistency (which was always an issue on the K20D). Perhaps this was here on the K-7 and I just didn't know, but its a marked improvement in P-TTL. It could be also related to better metering too. Will try some more latter in the week as time permits.
10-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #9

Quick test

Question:

Is there a difference between flash output and consistancy in K20D and K-5 in P-TTL?

Set Up:

I set up K20D and K-5 on tripod, using metz 58-AF flash in P-TTL mode, bounced off side wall, flash set exactly the same angle. Shot both in ISO 100, f4.0, 180 sec. Both used same lens, DA* 50-135 at 70 to 90mm (I don't believe difference in zoom effected results - did check this).

Results:

Flash Output inconsistent with K20D. Three examples attached all with same settings but different results. Also all underexposed.

Flash Output consistent with K-5 although slightly overexposed. When flash was at -1 compensation, skin tones appeared good and nothing was blown out. Without compensation, there was slight blow out of skin tones on side of face that was facing flash reflection. Two examples with and without compensation attached. Tested at other ISO and Aperture settings with same results (slight overexposure but consistent).

This was only a test between these two models. I have NO idea how K-7 performs.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

p-TTL consistency was vastly improved in K7, compared to K10D (and K20D I suppose).

I dare NOT to use p-TTL with my K10D and Pentax 540 units (I have 2 K10D bodies and 2 540 units so I know it's not a case of individual equipment failure).

K7's p-TTL is much more consistent and is actually usable. Mine needs +0.7 EC but I can live with that.