Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
One difference is that there is apparently in-camera noise reduction to applied to RAW files above ISO 1600. You would not have that in an underexposed ISO 1600 file.
That would be a very attractive option to have I'd say.

One thing I've noticed was unexplained detail loss at ISO6400 in contrast to SO200. And what made is suspicious is where it doesn't seem warranted.
So my gut feeling was that there was is level NR applied at some point along the line.

I would be really cool if we could turn that off and have a peek at the results

10-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Haha... sorry, I wasn't referring to John Bee's work, which is excellent. I think those are due more to his skill and knowledge of the NR software.

Of course, having ISO up to 51200 is a tremendous advance with digital sensors.
I was looking at some other K-5 ISO 51,200 shots I've seen with just basic NR.
They are not half as good, and no doubt could be a lot better with more work on the NR sliders.
Right. So we now have a camera, when combined with effective noise reduction (and not even super advanced techniques according to JohnBee) that's good up to 25,600 ISO. Not that I'd plan on using it for the fun of it, but think of it...

night sports shots are now possible without a $5-7000 lens. You could take you're average F4 or 5.6 (whatever) 55-300 zoom and still get great shots at say ISO 3200 - 6400 with hardly having to even do ANY NR.

venues where flash ist verboten, or weddings, etc, (especially if you have some fast glass) a flash would not even needed, so no need for red-eye reduction or double flashing folks, and multiple angle flashes for fill.

Instead of worrying about motion blur while trying to get that intimate concert/club musician shot, just bump the ISO up another stop or two.

Think of how much more useful TAv mode will be:
as mentioned...sports, weddings, concerts
wildlife, BIF, macro work in the field on windy days...

The ISO performance (as well as the AF improvements) will open a whole new realm of possibilities that was previously limited to those who could afford the super fast, premium lenses. Those will work even better for those who have them, but for those who's pockets aren't quite so deep, just invest in the correct body. It won't make us all pros, but it should give us the confidence that we can get the shots we've wanted to get, but to this point weren't able to.
10-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #48

Hmmmm.....OK
dpreview.com raves about the quality of the high ISO images from the K-x. Does anybody have some to post for comparison?
Thanks,
Eric
My Pentax bodies are - a Spotmatic, three K1000s an ME-Super and a K20D and loads of Pentax glass.