Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-5, low light portrait testing...

I am happy to say that dgaies has picked-up the art of low light shooting faster than anyone I've known. Granted he asked a few questions, but it didn't take him long at all to start putting it to good use!

Here's is my personal favorite K-5 practical high ISO sample to date:

K-5, ISO12800, f/5.6, 1/60s

NR was a snap(1 min or less) and the file has no issues whatsoever at 100%

CROP

PS. there's much more detail to be drawn from this file(if one wanted) too, but I think it's more realistic to aim for what anyone could it rather than going all out on the PP end of things.

Thanks for looking

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-01-2011 at 10:49 AM.
10-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I am happy to say that dgaies has picked-up the art of low light shooting faster than anyone I've known. Granted he asked a few questions, but it didn't take him long at all to start putting it to good use!

CROP

PS. there's much more detail to be drawn from this file(if one wanted) too, but I think it's more realistic to aim for what anyone could it rather than going all out on the PP end of things.

Thanks for looking
Looks clean but seems like as much magenta cast as the K20d. Kind of a shame.
10-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very well done!
10-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I've never actually seen the K20D at ISO12800 myself so I really can't compare the two at this level.

However.... there should be no issues addressed magenta tinging in processing for the time being. Or at least, until GordonB updates his tool to work with the K-5

10-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

CROP

Thanks for looking
Impressive John!

What does the unprocessed image look like?
Less than I minute of NR (Denoise?) renders this beautifully, but it would be nice to see an untouched pic so I could test some NR (if needed) with another NR software such as NoisewarePro.

JP
10-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've never actually seen the K20D at ISO12800 myself so I really can't compare the two at this level.

However.... there should be no issues addressed magenta tinging in processing for the time being. Or at least, until GordonB updates his tool to work with the K-5
I'm not sure if this is a factor or not, but this was taken in the basement where about half of the light used to shoot the image was coming from the 100" projected image of Wii MarioKart So there lighting was far less than ideal in terms of trying to get good color balance.

Regardless, having only seen the original in-camera JPEG after I shot this, I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to get such a clean image with this much detail out of the RAW file. Guess it's time for me to better learn my way around RAW files
10-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

John, I've moved it for you to the DSLR forum.

BTW, I am very interested in seeing the K-5 originals and working with them. Having used a K10D for 4 years in my kind of shooting environments means I punish the camera often and with conviction. Needless to say, I also have DeNoise plus a few other plugins. Unfortunately I am quite experienced with K10D NR work on higher ISO images in poor to decent lighting...

Cheers,
Marc

10-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote

BTW, I am very interested in seeing the K-5 originals and working with them. Having used a K10D for 4 years in my kind of shooting environments means I punish the camera often and with conviction. Needless to say, I also have DeNoise plus a few other plugins. Unfortunately I am quite experienced with K10D NR work on higher ISO images in poor to decent lighting...
Many thanks for that!
Most of the DNG/RAW's have been released(posted) here for members to download and work with. However, some of them(such as this one) are not approved for release.

However, you are all set to process the same quality of images as is shown here with the tools you have given the relative ease needed to create files like this with the K-5 system.

I know alot of people are under the impression that I'm waving a wand or applying some secret sauce to get images, but, nothing could be further from the truth.
The secret is in the K-5's amazing ability to render excellent high ISO images(no more no less).

You can download the first batch of files here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118658-couple-k5-s...ml#post1226262
10-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

the K20d suffers from this issue at least nine thousand times more than the K-5 .

Last edited by paperbag846; 10-18-2010 at 08:36 PM.
10-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
BTW, I am very interested in seeing the K-5 originals and working with them.
However, some of them(such as this one) are not approved for release.
It's ok, this one is fine to release. Actually, all of them are ok to distribute except the one I sent earlier of my wife (not that there was anything "unsafe for work" in it, she just didn't want it posted).

Anyway, here is the link to the RAW file from this thread.
10-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The K-7 had a green cast at ISO 6400, and much, much worse.
Anyway, its normally easily correctable in RAW unless it was under complicated lighthing.
Its possible the posted shot was under such lighthing conditions as well.
10-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

CROP

Thanks for looking
John, this is truly impressive. We are expecting our first grandchild soon, and this photo is all the justification that I will need to upgrade to the K-5. I want to photograph using available light, and small children are moving targets. For the first time in my life, I will have a legitimate need for high ISO.

Rob
10-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The K-7 had a green cast at ISO 6400, and much, much worse.
Anyway, its normally easily correctable in RAW unless it was under complicated lighthing.
Its possible the posted shot was under such lighthing conditions as well.
It was pretty complicated lighting. About half the light came from a colorful, projected video game, reflecting off a dark colored wall. The other half of the light came from a halogen overhead light.
10-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't this a great thing as well when it comes to having to crop your pics?
Besides the files being larger and with more "resolution" (is this the right wording?), there's hardly any noise up to ISO 3200 and just a tad at ISO6400.
Imagine what a well exposed image at ISO 800-1600 would look like on a very large print?

A question about Topaz Denoise ... can you directly process a RAW file?

Job well done here fellows ... congratulations!

JP
10-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CROP

Thanks for looking
This is a stunning image considering what ISO it has been taken at.

JP