Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Ok, just for kicks I decided to download Denoise and see what I could do with the file. This was about 3-4 minutes or "work" and I think it came out pretty decent, although I realize there's still some noise left in there. I guess it will take some time to "perfect" the technique

full-size image

10-20-2010, 02:03 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Ok, just for kicks I decided to download Denoise and see what I could do with the file. This was about 3-4 minutes or "work" and I think it came out pretty decent, although I realize there's still some noise left in there. I guess it will take some time to "perfect" the technique
That's a highly 'above average' result!
You definitely have the eye for it!
10-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #33
Veteran Member

All very nice, did i miss reading which lens you used?
10-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
All very nice, did i miss reading which lens you used?
It was taken with the FA31 (@ f/5.6).

10-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

full-size image

This is very well done, and a great shot.

I hadn't heard about Denoise before, only Noiseware Noise ninja, etc.
Don't even use Photoshop. I'm with Silkypix for my RAW shots. And only recently gotten the hang of it
10-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I may be in the minority here, but I don't think you should strive to remove every last scintilla of noise from an image, as doing so often leads to an overly smooth, texture-free appearance. Personally, I like your rendition.

Regarding time spent with NR software, that is my major complaint about Topaz DeNoise 5: It is rather slow on my computer. I usually have to wait about 4 minutes while it processes the image. That may not seem like a long time, but it is if you have multiple images needing NR.

Rob
10-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I may be in the minority here, but I don't think you should strive to remove every last scintilla of noise from an image, as doing so often leads to an overly smooth, texture-free appearance. Personally, I like your rendition.

Regarding time spent with NR software, that is my major complaint about Topaz DeNoise 5: It is rather slow on my computer. I usually have to wait about 4 minutes while it processes the image. That may not seem like a long time, but it is if you have multiple images needing NR.

Rob
Thanks

I don't think your in the minority in the sense that doing NR seems to be a balancing act of trying to remove as much objectionable noise as possible while retaining as much detail and texture as possible (at least that's generally the goal).

I can that fact that it takes 4 minutes/image, espeically if you had to do a fair amount of NR to do, becoming an issue. I guess I didn't realize it took so long as I have a fairly new computer and I think it only takes about 30 seconds or so per image.

10-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your images have instilled an FA31 Ltd LBA craving in me that won't go away. This lens seems to be beyond reproach. And a nice shot, too.
10-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Your images have instilled an FA31 Ltd LBA craving in me that won't go away. This lens seems to be beyond reproach. And a nice shot, too.
Thanks

And here I thought this thread would just encourage CBA, not LBA

The 31 is a great lens. I held off buying one for a while because I had the FA35, which I also think very highly of. But I found a deal on one I couldn't pass up so I bought it and have been very happy with.
10-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, ya, I have the K-5 lust as well. Will have mine within 2 weeks.
10-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #41
Inactive Account

There's a lot of talk about the K5, but so little interest on the K-R!

I was planning on getting the K-R, but now I might just wait longer so I can get a K5.
10-24-2010, 03:48 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chessmen Quote
There's a lot of talk about the K5, but so little interest on the K-R!

I was planning on getting the K-R, but now I might just wait longer so I can get a K5.
The Kr looks really nice too. I really love my Kx, and from all accounts the Kr is like a Kx-super; a Kx with a better LCD, Li-ion battery, illumintaed AF points, tweaked sensor plus a few other little additions.