Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 04:59 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
I would not worry too much about this. There is no rush. I gather you are only shooting DNG still.
You mean DNG as opposed to JPG or as opposed to PEF?

10-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #47

Photos: Albums
"Gordon B. Good went a step further and analyzed the raw histogram in the DNG (cf. link above). His conclusion (which can only be preliminary) is that pixel read-out noise (dark noise) is even less than with the Pentax K-x which excels in this regard. He found too that ISO 6400 is created from an ISO 1600 capture then boosting EV by +2 in camera." - from Falk Lumo -- Pentax K-5 hands-on preview
10-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
PEF..
10-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Just un-boxed my K-5 and the first thing I did was stand by the road and shoot cars coming towards me. I used my sigma 70-200 set at 2.8 and shot on afc at wide open.

The cars were traveling at 60 miles an hour approx and all shots were in focus as the af tracked the cars. Only ones OOF were when they came too close and were beyond the MFD of the lens.

Also did some panning shots of cars going behind trees and bushes. The tracking di pretty well and picked the cars up each side of objects. Not so many keepers as the head on shots but good enough.

I did try raw and JPG and I would I think use JPG for this sort of shooting. You can rattle off more shots than you will probably need I was shooting a 1/1000 and it seemed pretty fast to me. Far better than the K-7 and K-X.

Impressed with the camera on first look. Will have to play with the menu settings and dial my lenses in to get the best out of it but on first look I think it's a keeper.

Terry

10-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
How many pro sports photographers shoot high-fps RAW?
Irrelevant as I am an amateur sports photographer who shoots in raw.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I said this before and I'll say it again...
As interesting as this sounds, how to we compose our scenes with black frames?
It doesn't seem very practical.
Or am I totally missing something here?
My loacl representative rugby team have mainly black shirts, does that count?
10-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
It makes sense. The highest true hardware-based ISO is 1600. Above that, the image processor is doing an increasing amount of work on "amplification", and the fps slows down. Its likely only partly related to NR.
My understanding was 12800 ISO was all native ISO and the expanded was above that?
10-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Bummer statistic.
That was one feature I was hoping was just rumour. I wonder why Pentax would have put in so much effort in the drive rate only to fall short with the processor.

Well I guess I fall in that category also that uses drive mode only occasionally, but it may deter those were keen on sports and contemplating the K-5.
Next step. I'm being patient.

10-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
The cars were traveling at 60 miles an hour approx and all shots were in focus as the af tracked the cars. Only ones OOF were when they came too close and were beyond the MFD of the lens.
While I'm sure we all appreciate your dedication, you might want to, um, GET OUT OF THE ROAD!

10-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
While I'm sure we all appreciate your dedication, you might want to, um, GET OUT OF THE ROAD!

Knew I was doing something wrong!
10-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
My understanding was 12800 ISO was all native ISO and the expanded was above that?
That was my understanding as well and I have yet to read anything to the contrary beyond some speculation. I honestly don't care as I am quite happy with the results I am getting at 12800, regardless of what's native and what's being pushed.
10-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #56
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Why do they handicap their otherwise excellent cameras?

I remember that they already had one entry level camera whith extremely small buffer. Every reviewer was pointing to this.

Now K-5. It's almost useless for action. Burst for one second only. And only 4 frames in higher ISOs. Give me a break. Why did they bother with those high frame rates and new AF modes at all. They are not going to be useful with this small crippled buffer.

Now we again have the situation where Pentax entry level camera outperforms their flagship model...
I still use a K10D, which can shoot at maximum burst (3FPS) until you finally run out of room on the memory card. Every time I read how the "newer" cameras can only shoot for 2-3 second bursts before the buffer gets filled I can't help but wonder what the hell they did to the buffer on the newer cameras. It's not like the new cameras are shooting 24MP files, for crying out loud.
10-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
PEF..
You'll have to forgive me if this is a silly question (as I don't have a lot of experience with RAW files), but is there an advantage to using one format over the other?
10-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #58
Pentaxian

The Pentax RAW PEF is a bit smaller...we rely on pentax to keep supporting it like Adobe and their DNG. dunno what else
Pete
10-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
The Pentax RAW PEF is a bit smaller...dunno what else
Pete
Ahhh. Well then it might be possible to squeeze another shot in by using PEF files instead of DNG.
10-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TiminyCricket Quote
I still use a K10D, which can shoot at maximum burst (3FPS) until you finally run out of room on the memory card. Every time I read how the "newer" cameras can only shoot for 2-3 second bursts before the buffer gets filled I can't help but wonder what the hell they did to the buffer on the newer cameras. It's not like the new cameras are shooting 24MP files, for crying out loud.
They are getting pretty close. Actually, the really high iso shots look like they end up being 30 megapixels. That is pretty big.