Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I'm trying to imagine a situation in which I'd be shooting in high-speed burst mode in dim lighting—failing to come up with anything.
Well I did shoot a couple of weeks ago in perfect daylight but without the sun shine, with my K20D with the Pentax-F 1,7x adapter plus my Pentax-M 200mm F4 attached and stopped down to F8(on the lens itself so it is 1,7x i think :P) at iso 3200 to get enough shutterspeed to give me steady pictures of the racing karts
So I do use my camera with high ISO for "high-speed burst" moments.

10-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
So that means, that after de 8(or 9) frames you've shot in RAW you're stuck with a camera waiting ? And it is not continous shooting away on a lower FPS rate...
That's not the same behavior what the K20D has for example in my experience...
I think you will find that the K20D, K-5, 7D etc do the same thing. It's called by dpreview the 'buffer full rate' - ie the frame rate if the shutter release is held after burst (buffer full). As dpreview describe the fps hotrod Canon 7D for example, "Once the buffer is full the EOS 7D falls into a shooting 'rhythm' taking two shots in quick succession (almost normal frame rate) followed by a gap of approximately 0.45 sec."

They also mention for the K20D: Buffer full rate 0.8 fps Next burst 15.8 sec

Interestingly, in their review/discussion of the K20D's buffer performance, dpreview introduce another variable to consider in shooting at high fps:

"The K20D has corrected its predecessor's erratic continuous shooting rate, though shares the specified 3 frames per second. This rate is almost certainly dictated by the speed of the mirror return mechanism, rather than a lack of, or slowness of buffer memory."

Which makes sense. Add that to the mix.
10-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm trying to imagine a situation in which I'd be shooting in high-speed burst mode in dim lighting—failing to come up with anything.
Easy - a sport game at night. Those lights aren't that great, I shoot at ISO3200, and even have had to go to 6400.
10-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Easy - a sport game at night. Those lights aren't that great, I shoot at ISO3200, and even have had to go to 6400.
I bet nearly all night game shots for Sports Illustrated and ESPN are shot at pretty high iso. Not important for everyone, but certainly could be useful for some.

10-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I bet nearly all night game shots for Sports Illustrated and ESPN are shot at pretty high iso.
High ISO, yes. But I am pretty sure they wouldn't be shooting RAW...
10-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
High ISO, yes. But I am pretty sure they wouldn't be shooting RAW...
Most photojournalists, with editors breathing down their necks to meet deadlines, will likely use JPEG out-of-camera.

But hobbyists and freelancers who want to get the best possible look from their photos may use RAW, so its all a matter of personal choice.
10-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Most photojournalists, with editors breathing down their necks to meet deadlines, will likely use JPEG out-of-camera.

But hobbyists and freelancers who want to get the best possible look from their photos may use RAW, so its all a matter of personal choice.
Why do you say that?

You know essentially RAW = JPEG in terms of processing time with import presets. Filesize (and thus import time) is another matter, but still minimal difference.

10-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Why do you say that?

You know essentially RAW = JPEG in terms of processing time with import presets. Filesize (and thus import time) is another matter, but still minimal difference.
Well, I have a few journalist friends. One is an outright photo-journalist , the others are writers who also take photos for their stories. Theirs is a different photography world from mine.
I actually enjoy doing PP to bring out the best in a photo , up to a point.

Theirs is a world of rushed deadlines, photos which get uploaded just minutes before the editor starts getting upset...and yes, they shoot JPEG almost all the time.
10-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Why do you say that?

You know essentially RAW = JPEG in terms of processing time with import presets.
Assuming you have a pc at hand and have time to fiddle with it. Just one example from one of the largest press agencies: during Formula 1 races there are 3 persons shooting the first laps from the first turns. After a few laps the memory cards are collected from them by a 4th person and the photos are uploaded immediately to the HQ where the editors pick the best ones and publish them immediately. So around the 5th-6th lap the best action shots (usually there are some accidents / incidents at the first lap(s)) are already published. There's literally no time to fiddle with raw conversion, especially when resized out-of-camera jpeg does the job fine.
10-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #85
Veteran Member

I really hope we see a firmware update, for 12 bit possibility. I like to shoot RAW even in continues and then have more latitude to work with the files, WB, EV adjustment etc.

As a hobbyist I have don't have any deadline to meet, I can try and go for optimal IQ instead. Particularly since I often have to crop, or otherwise make changes.
If you up the Iso, there is really no need for 14 bit.
And with higher Iso, there is even more reason to shoot RAW. Dawn/dusk wildlife action would be one scenario

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I get 27 full-size, highest quality, no processing, iso1600 jpg in a burst.
Sounds ok. Guess I gotta go JPEG instead

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
what SD cards you use for measurments ? Please use Lexar® Professional 133x - it's very fast card
SanDisk SDHC cards are plenty fast

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Just un-boxed my K-5 and the first thing I did was stand by the road and shoot cars coming towards me. I used my sigma 70-200 set at 2.8 and shot on afc at wide open.

The cars were traveling at 60 miles an hour approx and all shots were in focus as the af tracked the cars. Only ones OOF were when they came too close and were beyond the MFD of the lens.

Also did some panning shots of cars going behind trees and bushes. The tracking di pretty well and picked the cars up each side of objects. Not so many keepers as the head on shots but good enough.

I did try raw and JPG and I would I think use JPG for this sort of shooting. You can rattle off more shots than you will probably need I was shooting a 1/1000 and it seemed pretty fast to me. Far better than the K-7 and K-X.

Impressed with the camera on first look. Will have to play with the menu settings and dial my lenses in to get the best out of it but on first look I think it's a keeper.

Terry
Thanks for the info, good to hear.
10-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #86
Veteran Member

What I'd like is for someone to test the continuous LOW setting for the K5; the specs on that were much more contradictory than the HI setting.
10-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #87
Veteran Member

In Low mode I get 45 Jpegs till it slows, 10 Raws at low ISO and 5 at high ISO.

Hope that helps, I do not have the very fastest cards BTW.
10-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #88

Photos: Albums
can someone with a nice fast card please try as well?

Also, I am really interested to know whether continuous shooting (i.e. fill the card) is possible at lower resolutions at either high or low mode. Thanks!
10-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #89
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
can someone with a nice fast card please try as well?

Also, I am really interested to know whether continuous shooting (i.e. fill the card) is possible at lower resolutions at either high or low mode. Thanks!
The numbers I posted previously were with Sandisk 8GB Extreme III 30MB/s SDHC. Per your request I used the same card but lowered jpg quality to 3 stars and size to 6MB. Buffer full went from 27 shots at max size/IQ to 35 shots at the reduced size/IQ. I don't think the card has much to do with filling the buffer but it helps a lot when writing that full buffer to the card and returning to a ready state.

In low mode (1.x shots.sec) you can fill the card w/o stopping using a much slower card than my test card. If you had time to experiment, slowing the rate
10-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #90
Forum Member

Simply being out at a restaurant bar with a large group of friends... something is almost always going on when you're with a group of 30+ people!